Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Doesn't Support Linux? Something Better Out There?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Netflix Doesn't Support Linux? Something Better Out There?

I just connected to Internet on my desktop after having issues with drivers. I normally watch Netflix on ps3 through TV. However, when i connected PC to TV and have Internet connections i thought i would like to see a movie through Internet and see if the screen any different. Well, i came to Netflix since i have a membership and guess what? I was told that my OS is not supported. What the what? Anyway, i went out and search reasons of why. I found out that Netflix supports DRM- Digital Rights Management which i believe is handles by MS. Now, i played Netflix on my phone, an android based (always have been android since my g1 phone) so how is it that Linux are not allowed? So, i was mad that Netflix did such and i am literally ending my subscription at end of this month. I looked on Hulu and Hulu plays well in my Firefox browser so i signed up free trial week. So far quality is great but the selection is so so. What are you guys think about Netflix? Also, what are other options other than Hulu out there?
    Thanks,
    Mar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Netflix Doesn't Support Linux? Something Better Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by Marthewicked View Post
    I just connected to Internet on my desktop after having issues with drivers. I normally watch Netflix on ps3 through TV. However, when i connected PC to TV and have Internet connections i thought i would like to see a movie through Internet and see if the screen any different. Well, i came to Netflix since i have a membership and guess what? I was told that my OS is not supported. What the what? Anyway, i went out and search reasons of why. I found out that Netflix supports DRM- Digital Rights Management which i believe is handles by MS. Now, i played Netflix on my phone, an android based (always have been android since my g1 phone) so how is it that Linux are not allowed? So, i was mad that Netflix did such and i am literally ending my subscription at end of this month. I looked on Hulu and Hulu plays well in my Firefox browser so i signed up free trial week. So far quality is great but the selection is so so. What are you guys think about Netflix? Also, what are other options other than Hulu out there?
    Thanks,
    Mar

It is mostly user base. There are a heap more Android, IOS, OS/X and Windows devices out there than Linux. They probably don't think it is worth their while getting their DRM solution to work under Linux.

Beans

just to clarify, netflix uses the silverlight plug-in (at least on windows, don't know what it uses on other platforms) to control the DRM that doesn't let linux users play on their systems. there is a silverlight open-source implementation called moonlight but it is not compatible with the version that netflix uses, so it still does not work on linux.

on the alternatives, i hear a lot of users here say they use amazon or hulu, don't know about too many others

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys. I would think maybe they don;t like Linux because it is open source and the fact that it will be free. But how will it be free if i or you or anyone pas for Netflix subscription? I don;t know but something is not right.
    Mar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks guys. I would think maybe they don;t like Linux because it is open source and the fact that it will be free. But how will it be free if i or you or anyone pas for Netflix subscription? I don;t know but something is not right.
    Mar

Just because something is open-source doesn't mean it'll be free of charge. Look in the Ubuntu Software Center, and you'll see plenty of purchasable software, some of which is open source.
    In the open source world, when something is referred to as free software, it means the code is free, as in the code is not locked up through TOS and EULAs and patent and copyright holdings. It means the software is free to be used in anyway the user sees fit, as is, or modified, and the user can redistribute the code with their modification.
    Last edited by deadflowr; October 8th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Beans

Amazon Prime Instant Video is probably the closest thing out there. I had a free trial for a while and it seemed to work fine for the little bit that I used it. It has a pretty good selection too, plus you get free 2 day shipping on Amazon in addition (and it's $79/year which is already less than Netflix). It just uses Flash, so yeah it should work fine. Also it has a PS3 app that works well so you can use that on your TV and still have access on your computer too.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Just because something is open-source doesn't mean it'll be free of charge. Look in the Ubuntu Software Center, and you'll see plenty of purchasable software, some of which is open source.
    In the open source world, when something is referred to as free software, it means the code is free, as in the code is not locked up through TOS and EULAs and patent and copyright holdings. It means the software is free to be used in anyway the user sees fit, as is, or modified, and the user can redistribute the code with their modification.
    i worded my thought wrong. i meant is it possible that it is what it is because of the free license? And if the user pays for the Netflix subscription, like any other software as you mentioned on the Ubuntu center, why would it matter to Netflix whether the user operates Linux, Windows, or any other system for that matter? I don't know the answer to this which raises me to think Netflix owes an answer at least to those users who operate on Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply guys.
    mar
    Last edited by Marthewicked; October 8th, 2012 at 06:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    Amazon Prime Instant Video is probably the closest thing out there. I had a free trial for a while and it seemed to work fine for the little bit that I used it. It has a pretty good selection too, plus you get free 2 day shipping on Amazon in addition (and it's $79/year which is already less than Netflix). It just uses Flash, so yeah it should work fine. Also it has a PS3 app that works well so you can use that on your TV and still have access on your computer too.
    Thanks, i would add that, seems pretty good deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i worded my thought wrong. i meant is it possible that it is what it is because of the free license? And if the user pays for the Netflix subscription, like any other software as you mentioned on the Ubuntu center, why would it matter to Netflix whether the user operates Linux, Windows, or any other system for that matter? I don't know the answer to this which raises me to think Netflix owes an answer at least to those users who operate on Linux.
    You're right. Why can't/won't Netflix simply port their service over to desktop linux? They've certainly done an excellent job of infiltrating everything else.
    Unfortunately, I firmly believe my microwave and toaster will get Netflix support before my desktop with linux does.
    But in the meantime, there are plenty of legitimate streaming services out there that have added support for linux desktop, Hulu and Amazon Prime being two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast