Thread: Terminal Problem!

Beans

Terminal Problem!

im trying to download a program through the terminal and whenever i type in sudo apt-get install vlc and hit enter the next like says [sudo] password for avi(my user name): but it wont let me type in my password or anything for that matter and when i hit enter it pauses for a few seconds and says incorrect password please try again.... please help me this is beyond annoying and i really need help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Terminal Problem!

Quote Originally Posted by firemaster0101 View Post
    im trying to download a program through the terminal and whenever i type in sudo apt-get install vlc and hit enter the next like says [sudo] password for avi(my user name): but it wont let me type in my password or anything for that matter and when i hit enter it pauses for a few seconds and says incorrect password please try again.... please help me this is beyond annoying and i really need help!
    When you are asked for your password for sudo, you will NOT see the password as you type it. It is being entered. Just hit enter after you have correctly typed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Terminal Problem!

I wondered about this. Though I wasn't looking at the screen when I first came across it, so I looked up and thought "where's my pw???" I hit enter anyway

I believe this is for "security" purposes, and is the way Unix systems work. At least nobody could actually see how long your password is if they see your screen