Thread: install beta now, upgrade later

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

install beta now, upgrade later

I want to install Ubuntu 13.04 Beta today and upgrade to the official release once it comes out. Do I just upgrade by installing the updates from the package manager? Will I get the final release using this method?

I have done this in Linux Mint but not in Ubuntu as Mint always rolls updates from RC to Stable through the update manager.
    Last edited by nerdtron; April 23rd, 2013 at 06:21 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: install bet now, upgrade later

Are you sure you really want to do this? Official release is just a couple of days away. If you install beta now, you risk carrying over gummed-up configs and settings for the sake of a 2-day head start. Come April 25, it will be easy-peasy to just torrent the image for a proper release ISO and install with far fewer bugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That's also what I'm thinking but currently, my new PC has no OS now and I really want to install the latest Ubuntu. If I install other distro now, I'll have to reinstall again in a few days.

hhhmmm....I did not know there would be leftovers configs when you update from beta to stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    hhhmmm....I did not know there would be leftovers configs when you update from beta to stable.
    There may not be. That's just one of the risks.

This late in the game, what you're talking about is 'relatively' safe, especially if we're talking about a system that doesn't even have an OS at the moment, which leads me to believe that even if things go terribly wrong, it won't be any more than an inconvenience.

A safer option, which will involve a lot more updating, would be to install 12.10 and upgrade through the update manager, but once again, we're so late in the development cycle for 13.04 you may end up with just as many upgrade issues that way; maybe more.

If I were in your position, I'd just go straight for 13.04. YMMV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: install beta now, upgrade later

There's as good a chance of updates coming two days after the release that'll gum up your settings as there are two days before.
    So go ahead and install and update the system as updates come.
    It's not like the devs are secretly planning on throwing wrenches into the mix and totally redoing the release.

Personally, if I was to install it when it went official, I'd wait at least a week, maybe two.
    This is period when they push a ton of fixes for issues nobody knew about because of the limited number of testers.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: install beta now, upgrade later

On the other hand, you could just use a live version for the time being.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you install 13.04 now, and keep up with the normal system updates, you will have the release version on release day. Even the people who have been using 13.04 since development started in November will have the release version if they keep their system up-to-date.

It's definitely safer to install 13.04 now and do a couple of package updates on release day, than it is to start from 12.10 and upgrade the whole way. It's also much easier on bandwidth and willl be much quicker. There are probably only a couple of bugs in 13.04 today that won't be present in the release version in a couple of days time, and you'd only be updating maybe ten or twenty packages instead of 450 packages that you'd be upgrading when going from 12.10 to 13.04.

My recommendation: Install 13.04 Daily, and just run normal system updates every day (as you would, anyway).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.