Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VOB to single MPEG file (uncompressed) - how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

VOB to single MPEG file (uncompressed) - how?

Hello to all you video buffs

I have a video dvd which I copied to my hard disk, i.e. I have the VIDEO_TS folder with the VOB files in it. I want to convert those VOB file segments of the main movie into one big, uncompressed *.MPEG file. I can open and append them in Avidemux, where I chose MPEG as the container format and 'copy' for both audio and video. The video length is displayed correctly and I can play it in Avidemux. However, when I save the MPEG to hdd, the file is missing the audio and is too short, which means it doesn't save the whole movie, about 25% at the end is missing -- and no, I haven't set any edit markers. Are there any alternatives to do this? Any help is appreciated.

Beans

Re: VOB to single MPEG file (uncompressed) - how?

Try copying to your HDD with dvdbackup, try dvdbackup --mirror and see if that catches all of the dvd...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Try copying to your HDD with dvdbackup, try dvdbackup --mirror and see if that catches all of the dvd...
    Have you read my post? ^^
    I have already copied the DVD to hard disk. And dvdbackup will do just this. But what I need is to convert the *.VOB blocks of the main movie into one single MPEG file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you know which VOB files you want to copy together - which ones represent the actual film, this is normally the set of VOBs with the most parts - you can just use ffmpeg's concat protocol.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i 'concat:VTS_01_1.VOB|VTS_01_2.VOB|VTS_02_3.VOB' -map 0 -c copy combined.mpeg
    You may need to use '-acodec copy -vcodec copy' instead of '-c copy', you may need to drop the '-map 0'. You can have as many vob files in the concat protocol as you want. To avoid hassle, use the version from this PPA.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    If you know which VOB files you want to copy together - which ones represent the actual film, this is normally the set of VOBs with the most parts - you can just use ffmpeg's concat protocol.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i 'concat:VTS_01_1.VOB|VTS_01_2.VOB|VTS_02_3.VOB' -map 0 -c copy combined.mpeg
    You may need to use '-acodec copy -vcodec copy' instead of '-c copy', you may need to drop the '-map 0'. You can have as many vob files in the concat protocol as you want. To avoid hassle, use the version from this PPA.
    I had no ffmpeg installed, simply tried it with avconv and it works (but without the '-map' parameter only) And the mpeg is obviously correct and plays fine. However, for some reason the audio is out of sync, comes about 2 seconds too early :-/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrsUser View Post
    Have you read my post? ^^
    Indeed I have, one possibility is that you have incompletely copied your movie to your HDD...

Beans
    Distro

Indeed I have, one possibility is that you have incompletely copied your movie to your HDD...
    No, it's complete. I can play the copied structure from beginning to end in VLC, nothing missing. Anyway, evilsoup's method works, except for having the audio too early. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that, maybe somehow a delay can be defined, I don't know.

EDIT:
    Here's how I did it (copying only the second audio track):

Code:
    avconv -i 'concat:VTS_02_1.VOB|VTS_02_2.VOB|VTS_02_3.VOB|VTS_02_4.VOB|VTS_02_5.VOB' -map 0:v -map 0:a:2 -acodec copy -vcodec copy combined-only-second-audio-track.mpeg
    -map 0:v -- copies all video tracks
    -map 0:a:2 -- copies only the second audio track

However, the audio track must be in a compatible format for the container. AC3 is fine. Then I put everything in an MKV with mkvmergeGUI (mkvtoolnix), adding 1000 (ms) in the format specific options of the audio track. Now it's all in one container and in sync
    Last edited by MrsUser; February 19th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Beans

There is the -itsoffset option but this can be a bit painful to use...

Beans
    Distro

There is the -itsoffset option but this can be a bit painful to use...
    Thank you for that hint! It was actually easy to use:

Code:
    avconv -itsoffset -1 -i 'concat:VTS_02_1.VOB|VTS_02_2.VOB|VTS_02_3.VOB|VTS_02_4.VOB|VTS_02_5.VOB' -map 0:v -map 0:a:1 -acodec ac3_fixed -b:a 192k -vcodec copy combined.mpeg
    I've set -itsoffset to '-1' which means the video stream(s) of the input file start(s) 1 second earlier. It doesn't affect the audio streams. And it worked fine, now the video comes 1 second earlier as the audio did and both are in sync now. I also encoded the second audio track to ac3 with 192kbps on the fly. Actually, command line encoding is pretty much awesome and powerful, and in particular also much faster than with GUI. However, it can be a pain to figure out everything manually.

Beans

Great to hear that it has all worked out for you . If you are really keen on FFmpeg perhaps look up FakeOutdoorsman's wiki page some time soon, grab a recent version of FFmpeg and delve a little deeper into a truly amazing commandline application...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast