Thread: update bricked some programs

Beans

update bricked some programs

hello i recently just did a round of updates and for some odd reason it made 2 programs not open. the ubuntu software center and midori web browser. i am running ubuntu 9.10 and as previously stated have completely updated my system. i have already used synaptic to do a reinstall of these two programs and that didnt fix the problem. any ideas as to whats wrong?

Re: update bricked some programs

Have you gone into Synaptic and checked Fix Broken Packages (under Edit)?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Try starting them in a terminal and see if they give you any interesting error messages.

Sometimes a new update doesn't play nice with old configuration files, and clearing out the old configuration files will solve the issue. Depending on the program these will be located in different places, but typically will reside in some hidden folder in the home directory.
    Sharing Wifi Is Caring Wifi {o,o} Ubuntu Community Docs..
    |)__)
    -”-”-
    O RLY?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Have you gone into Synaptic and checked Fix Broken Packages (under Edit)?
    yes i have tried this and it still doesn't fix the problem. i even tried to uninstall completely and get rid of all the config files through synaptic and then reinstall, but that didn't work out either

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hospadar View Post
    Try starting them in a terminal and see if they give you any interesting error messages.

Sometimes a new update doesn't play nice with old configuration files, and clearing out the old configuration files will solve the issue. Depending on the program these will be located in different places, but typically will reside in some hidden folder in the home directory.
    by interesting error message do you mean this?

midori: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2: undefined symbol: soup_content_decoder_get_type

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by morgonzola View Post
    by interesting error message do you mean this?

midori: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2: undefined symbol: soup_content_decoder_get_type
    http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1374832
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

thanks for the link guess i didn't check the treads as thoroughly as i should have