Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: modern distro with gnome2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: modern distro with gnome2?

I was reading today on OMG Ubuntu that gnome 3.8 will offer classic mode which means running a modern gnome while getting the classic gnome look.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/1...s-in-gnome-3-8

Beans

Install a cli only system from the mini iso then add the mate ppa and install it? Or just use mint with mate?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    Can i just change the software sources to the server edition?
    Don't have it installed, but I believe the repos are the same. The kernel, tho, identifies itself as a server kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Use the mini ISO, I've found it to work the best.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    -- but Gnome 2 itself is dead and getting deader.

Except for that small company, RedHat who will be supporting it via RHEL 6 until 2020, but you know they are small and may not be able to handle the pressure.

GNOME 2 isn't dead, not as long as the source is available and some of us are still willing to work in it.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    Except for that small company, RedHat who will be supporting it via RHEL 6 until 2020, but you know they are small and may not be able to handle the pressure.

GNOME 2 isn't dead, not as long as the source is available and some of us are still willing to work in it.

I used CentOS for a l-o-n-g time, until the old version of Python it depends on and the old version of GTK it uses kept me from doing what I needed to do.

Red Hat will supply bug fixes to RHEL 6 for a long time. But, they are not going to change or improve Gnome 2. It's just bug fixes. Meanwhile, RHEL 7 will be based on Gnome 3.

Note, as well, that I did not trash Gnome 2. In fact, I praised Fuduntu.

But, the fact is that as an application development platform Gnome 2 is dead. I am sure that if you spoke with the Fuduntu or SolusOS devs you would find that they are already considering ways to move away from the Gnome 2 codebase while preserving its interface. (About one more year with Gnome 2, is what I recall the Fuduntu and SolusOS leads agreeing to on Google+.) MATE is already doing that.

An OS that stays with "pure" Gnome 2 will soon find itself unable to run contemporary applications. Google has already announced that RHEL/CentOS is "obsolete" and future Chrome release will not run on it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Try Fuduntu. I'm always recommending the distro, and for good reasons: exceptional battery life, speed, cofigurability, and compatibility.

Seriously, give it a shot. You'll realize how quick gnome 2 used to be, and if you're not familiar with it, you'll realize how gnome 2 can be on par with some of the lighter De's/Window managers today

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffdude View Post
    Try Fuduntu. I'm always recommending the distro, and for good reasons: exceptional battery life, speed, cofigurability, and compatibility.

Seriously, give it a shot. You'll realize how quick gnome 2 used to be, and if you're not familiar with it, you'll realize how gnome 2 can be on par with some of the lighter De's/Window managers today
    It's true
    But I find the same said speed in Mint Mate and it has good looks
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Gnome 3.8 has been released an it has a classic mode https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.8/

Beans

You should try cinnamon its pretty dang sweet last time I tried it.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast