Page 11 of 133 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Quote Originally Posted by vwbeamer View Post
    Not sure why or how, it just does. Have you tried Xubuntu?
    Yeah. I've done a lot of os shopping. Started with xubuntu. Also tried Ubuntu too but even after installing all the codecs suggested at the ubuntu guide, i always get crappy youtube performance
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    Yeah. I've done a lot of os shopping. Started with xubuntu. Also tried Ubuntu too but even after installing all the codecs suggested at the ubuntu guide, i always get crappy youtube performance
    Have you tried straight debian?
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/...-xfce-CD-1.iso

*ubuntu likes to cut out alot code for older systems, some that make old systems run better. Debian leaves everthing stock.

i use debian+base+fluxbox on a 450mhz 256ram vaio pcg-f430, this thing flies with debian, when i ran *ubuntu it was really slow with everything from booting to vids.
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/...sinesscard.iso

base install
    apt-get install xorg gdm synaptic fluxbox
    reboot(ctrl+alt+delete)
    select fluxbox in session(important) and login
    open synaptic and continue installing

that's how i usually start off.

if you want speed go custom, you cant beat a custom install with only what you need. if you put some thought in it you will have more than enough resources to do youtube or any vids for that matter.

pic, yes i can even multi-task with out freezing.
    Last edited by kerry_s; July 15th, 2007 at 01:00 PM.

Beans

@ kerrys

Yeah, i had thought of trying debian etch recently. Just was a miffed the last time i tried to get an iso from a uk mirror. It was so slow i gave up. Ha, i went and downloaded Gentoo instead. God knows why.

I do currently have a custom setup (see above). I was going to ask to see if there was anything i could cut out i.e pointless packages etc. It's currently at 28MB used once logged into X. 17MB with no X

I'll give a debain download another shot. BTW, i'm trying to stay in cli and not use gui's when i can. I don't use synaptic, gdebi, ark and i'm not a fan of the 'boxes.

Also, i doubt the businesscard will work with me. This laptop only has wifi (no ethernet) and an rt61 at that. I doubt a 32mb base install will configure it correctly for wpa. I'll try but i guess it'll take a whole lot of work to get packages needed to install drivers.

Cheers

{EDIT} Just realised who you are. 1 of those errors was caused by following your autologin guide i tried several hours ago. Cheers for the effort but i guess i'll have to keep looking.
    Last edited by regomodo; July 9th, 2007 at 01:50 AM.

Beans

double post.

I had to wait 5mins for my internet come back online and the edit must have accidentally been thought to be a new post. They must be doing servicing, that or the whole lot is playing up again
    Last edited by regomodo; July 9th, 2007 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I wish I could get my Silicon Graphics machine to work properly. over here. Its the O2 from SGI. And I am having a bugger of a time in getting it to boot into the debian version of linux. I don't even know where I could pick up a version of Iriix So I could work with it porperly.

Compucore

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    @ kerrys

Yeah, i had thought of trying debian etch recently. Just was a miffed the last time i tried to get an iso from a uk mirror. It was so slow i gave up. Ha, i went and downloaded Gentoo instead. God knows why.

I do currently have a custom setup (see above). I was going to ask to see if there was anything i could cut out i.e pointless packages etc. It's currently at 28MB used once logged into X. 17MB with no X

I'll give a debain download another shot. BTW, i'm trying to stay in cli and not use gui's when i can. I don't use synaptic, gdebi, ark and i'm not a fan of the 'boxes.

Also, i doubt the businesscard will work with me. This laptop only has wifi (no ethernet) and an rt61 at that. I doubt a 32mb base install will configure it correctly for wpa. I'll try but i guess it'll take a whole lot of work to get packages needed to install drivers.

Cheers

{EDIT} Just realised who you are. 1 of those errors was caused by following your autologin guide i tried several hours ago. Cheers for the effort but i guess i'll have to keep looking.

yeah i replied to that, that "how to" was from the early edgy days, now a days i always recommend gdm, it just makes no sense when the gdm uses less resources than regular startx, the only thing you would save is the size of gdm, but i gladly spare the space for less headaches elsewhere. less errors=better performance.

Beans

hmm, i tried what you suggested. Caused more problems than it solved, if any. I didn't get the kinit errors. Managed to compile and install the rt61 drivers but i could not get it configured. None of my usual iwconfig, iwlist commands worked as it didn't understand what they meant.

I only briefly tried it so i'll have another bash later as it's on a spare hdd.

[edit] I installed the default debian etch. not bad. my wifi issues were because you have to use almost any command as root. In ubuntu you don't even have to sudo those. At least i know now. One thing i have noticed with debian is that it's package repo's are slow (x7 slower) when compared to ubuntu.
    Last edited by regomodo; July 18th, 2007 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Man View Post
    I don't know. This computer is really old, here's the website for it: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8250/index.htm
    I have a Dimension 2350. Got it from a friend, she had managed to put over a thousand viruses on the thing. Amazing. Came with a Celeron 2GHz w/ 128KB L2 cache, I now upped it to a P4 2.6GHz @ 533MHz FSB, I believe with 512KB L2 cache -Northwood- and put another 128MB stick of ram in to it totally 384MB. Soon I plan on maxing it out at 1GB though and making it a server ^_^ It does have some pretty decent onboard Intel graphics I must add. Can handle WoW and stuff fine. Oh and it's running Debian Testing/Unstable with Fluxbox as the WM.
    Last edited by xdarkxanarchyx; July 11th, 2007 at 06:14 AM.
    Out of date specs.
    Linux #448948 Ubuntu #15780
    P4 HT 3.37GHz, 2.5GB PC2-5300, Radeon X1550, 250GB SATAII, 250GB IDE | Asus Eee PC 1000 Eeebuntu 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by xdarkxanarchyx View Post
    I have a Dimension 2350. Got it from a friend, she had managed to put over a thousand viruses on the thing. Amazing. Came with a Celeron 2GHz w/ 128KB L2 cache, I now upped it to a P4 2.6GHz @ 533MHz FSB, I believe with 512KB L2 cache -Northwood- and put another 128MB stick of ram in to it totally 384MB. Soon I plan on maxing it out at 1GB though and making it a server ^_^ It does have some pretty decent onboard Intel graphics I must add. Can handle WoW and stuff fine. Oh and it's running Debian Testing/Unstable with Fluxbox as the WM.
    Really, that's pretty cool. Mine came with 256 MB RAM, and a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz processor. Haven't done anything to it, because I can't find compatible memory for it. I'm so sad.......

And how do you get over a thousand viruses on one computer? I would think it would either blow up or refuse to start up.....
    Last edited by Happy_Man; July 11th, 2007 at 01:36 PM.
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xdarkxanarchyx View Post
    I think that 1GB for a server is kind of a waste. 512 or even 384 would do
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Page 11 of 133 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast