Page 10 of 133 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

A-hem..... my computer is (IMO) better specs-wise than a lot of the ones here..... I'm just amazed I can have it run the stuff it runs:

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4 GHz
    256 MB RAM
    120 GB HDD
    Nvidia Geforce4 MX 420

This thing runs Kubuntu, Compiz Fusion, I use Opera as my web browser, it serves as a server for the rest of the house besides, and I generally run Windows in a VM at the same time as Ubuntu. On 24/7. I am so proud of this computer. *sniffles*
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Man View Post
    A-hem..... my computer is (IMO) better specs-wise than a lot of the ones here..... I'm just amazed I can have it run the stuff it runs:

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4 GHz
    256 MB RAM
    120 GB HDD
    Nvidia Geforce4 MX 420

This thing runs Kubuntu, Compiz Fusion, I use Opera as my web browser, it serves as a server for the rest of the house besides, and I generally run Windows in a VM at the same time as Ubuntu. On 24/7. I am so proud of this computer. *sniffles*
    With a little more RAM it could do even more. It does not use RIMM memory, does it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by joe.turion64x2 View Post
    With a little more RAM it could do even more. It does not use RIMM memory, does it?
    I don't know. This computer is really old, here's the website for it: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8250/index.htm
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Man View Post
    I don't know. This computer is really old, here's the website for it: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...8250/index.htm
    Yes it is. Probably one of the formers Pentium 4's out there, with 400MHz FSB and RIMM memory.

Beans

P2 350mhz 256 ram machine plays youtube fine with Xubuntu. Matter of fact, I'm starting to like Xubuntu better then Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreus12 View Post
    I had been meaning to post in this thread, but hadn't gotten around to it until now.

I received a hand-me-down laptop, that was my sisters.

System specs:
    -Pentium III 600Mhz
    -64 Mb Ram
    -6GB hard drive
    -8 MB video card
    -2 usb ports
    -Swapable DVD-Rom and Floppy
    -1024x768 screen

When I initially got it (before I got into linux) It was SO slow on win 98 that it just went under the bed for about a year. I got it back out recently and loaded DSL on it, and it ran pretty well.

Then my friends laptop mobo died, and he gave me 2x256mb sticks of ram.

So the laptop is now running Debian Etch with fluxbox, and has a 48 second boot up time (without X). The laptop shares a USB wireless card with my desktop.

After using the laptop, I liked Etch+fluxbox so much that I installed it on my (not crappy) desktop
    -P4 3.0 Ghz
    -1GB RAM

The installations are basically mirrors of each other:
    Internet Browser - Iceweasel+Dillo
    Email - Sylpheed
    Word Processor - Openoffice
    MP3 Player - Orpheus+MOCP
    Chat - Centericq+Irssi
    Terminal - Aterm
    File manager - Emelfm+PCmanfm
    Image editing - Xpaint+Gimp+imagemagick
    Calculator - Qalculate
    Bittorrent - rtorrent
    Misc - Conky+htop

My favorite feature is that I can pick a directory to randomly set a background on each boot. It's nice to have variety.

I have been so impressed with this laptop, it's really unbelievable. I think it's funny that I've mirrored by laptop setup on my desktop, as now they are nearly identical.

My only complaints are that Youtube videos are really too much for this system
    In fact, according to conky, Youtube videos account for 30% of 3Ghz (on my desktop).

Also, if anyone knows how to disable 'find' from running every day, I would like to set it to run once per week. I don't have *that* many cpu cycles to spare.

Here is a screenshot of aterm and conky in action:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Start with this:
    Packard Bell (Pachard Hell?) computer that was 5 years old.

Add this:
    A son who felt that it should be upgraded for me, and gave me a Christmas present of
    1. New case
    2. AllInOne (all in wonder?) motherboard
    3. Pentium III, 750 Mgz processor

Then do this after 2 years:
    1. Add Nvidia GForce 4 video board (Some graphics programs wouldn't work on the onboard video)
    2. Replace AllInOne mother board with a Tyan motherboard, because the on-board video wouldn't disengage.
    3. Replace the power supply, because the Tyan motherboard and Nvidia card required a minimum of 300 watts.
    4. Replace the hard drive with an 80 gig drive, because the 13 gig Maxtor drive finally gave out.
    5. Add 256M RAM to make a total of 512M.
    6. Add CD-RW Burner
    7. Replace CD-RW burner with Sony DVD burner.
    8. Replace Sony DVD burner with Liteon DVD-R dual layer burner when the Sony crapped out.
    9. Chang monitor to a Samsung 17" flat panel

After 2 years, get rid of Microsoft and move to Linux (first as dual boot from 2 partitions, and finally totally Ubuntu).
    The computer is only off when the power fails or we move (twice, so far).

Now running Feisty Faun - Gnome - FireFox and ThunderBird - etc. but NOT running Compiz (I'll have to wait for the new machine to be able to run it. I'm getting a Dell.)

_____
    Craig
    Tyche

Beans

mine isn't that old (1998 i think) but it comes with P3 450MHz, 64MB pc100 ram, 4GB HDD, 2MB vram (!). A Thinkpad 570e

I've pimped it out by adding 256MB of ram, a 40GB hdd, wifi g card, and a higher cap battery. In total cost me around £200 (i had to buy the dock & ultrabay drive to install os). Possibly a bit too much but it's such a well made laptop and soo small without feeling it. The size of a pad of A4 paper.

Running Ubuntu Feisty Server with icewm, rox, kazehakase, pidgin, rhythmbox, vlc, and wine. Not that impressed with kazehakase so i'm going to install firefox from it's site, not the repo's.

Just have to figure out how to automount, autologin without a DM ( i.e. without the $ startx command), figure out a kinit error, monitor the battery somehow, cpu scale (could do it in windows but seems impossible in linux), solve a "caught signal 11" error, browse network shares, and figure out how to use this wifi card in roaming mode.

Quiet a lot to sort out tbh but intend on doing fup all this summer. Tired of working 6days a week through sunshine.
    Last edited by regomodo; July 9th, 2007 at 12:29 AM. Reason: forgot to put name down
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vwbeamer View Post
    P2 350mhz 256 ram machine plays youtube fine with Xubuntu. Matter of fact, I'm starting to like Xubuntu better then Ubuntu.
    How? mine (see above) is better spec (possibly not for vram) but i get ~3fps with youtube. I can play xvid, x264, and iso'd dvd's perfectly.

Beans

Not sure why or how, it just does. Have you tried Xubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    How? mine (see above) is better spec (possibly not for vram) but i get ~3fps with youtube. I can play xvid, x264, and iso'd dvd's perfectly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xpod View Post

I`ve even got the cost of our 20Meg broadband package down to less than half of what it`s supposed to be, thats as well as having a free 1Mb Set Top Box with a separate IP address flung in for good measure.
    I'd like to know how you did that? Mainly because i'm a student and Telewest raped us this year. Paid a fair bit for 10Mb internet and it's average is more like 1Mb.

I regularly did a pathping and every time i was getting around packet 97% failure at the 2nd hop (the streets router i guess). Always felt like trashing it with petrol just so they'd do something about it and fix it. Oh well, got a few weeks left of internet before i have to go isp shopping again.

Page 10 of 133 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast