Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't turn volume down

Beans

Can't turn volume down

Installed 8.04 yesterday, and most things seem to work well enough. My only problem though, is that I'm unable to adjust the volume, it just stays on 100%. When I try to slide the volum button downwards, it just goes back up again to 100%.

Maybe not such a huge problem, but the loud log in tune annoys my wife , and I didn't have this problem in 7.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Can't turn volume down

Go to System -> Preference -> Sound and select Master Volume (and/or any other channels you want to be controlled with the slider or multimedia keys)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
    Go to System -> Preference -> Sound and select Master Volume (and/or any other channels you want to be controlled with the slider or multimedia keys)
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am aware of this configuration tool. The problem is, however, that when I try to move the slider down, it goes straight back to 100% by it self. I can adjust the volume within each sound application, such as last.fm, by I just can't make the slider on PCM-2 on my OSS mixer (Realtek ALC861) go down. Any hints?

Beans

You see, I can mute the volume, but I can't adjust it. It's just either 100% or 0%. I'd like ii to be around 30%, I think

Beans

I have exactely the same problem.

When I, in a terminal, writes "alsamixer", I get the message:

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: No such file or directory

I have found a way of modulating the sound:

When PCM-2 is set to 100% (there is only the possiblity of 100% or 0%), then I can go into Totem and regulate the sound from the soundbutton there. But it should not be necessary to go that way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Erikhh View Post
    I have exactely the same problem.

When I, in a terminal, writes "alsamixer", I get the message:

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: No such file or directory

I have found a way of modulating the sound:

When PCM-2 is set to 100% (there is only the possiblity of 100% or 0%), then I can go into Totem and regulate the sound from the soundbutton there. But it should not be necessary to go that way.
    Seems like the same problem. I, too, get the same message upon writing "alsamixer" in the terminal. I've tried reinstalling all the alsa and pulseaudio related packages, but that didn't do anything either.

It is possible to adjust the volume within every application, such as totem and others. But it is a bit impractical, especially when streaming media over the net. I have to make sure to turn the volume down every time I open e.g. a flash movie, or else I'm afraid my speakers will blow.

It seems, then, that the problem is alsa-related. Anyone have any clues as to a possible solution?

Beans
    Hidden!

I've got the same problem, I fix it doing this.

This is already fixed http://people.ubuntu.com/~ogasawara/hardy-buglist.html

If you don't want for the updates to get uploaded to repositories just do:

sudo apt-get install module-assistant

module-assistant a-i alsa-source

reload the sound modules (or restart) and it should be working.
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...82/comments/36

And I added in "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base"

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

Mathieu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

same problem here. And plus: in the Sound Settings, the option to choose alsa's master volume isn't there anymore! I mean, I can "sound test" clicking the "test" buttons with ALSA selected. But then there are no devices registered under ALSA in the combobox!
    "There's no sin except stupidity"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mat087 View Post
    I've got the same problem, I fix it doing this.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...82/comments/36

And I added in "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base"

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

Mathieu
    OK, something changed, but not necesseraly to the better. This is what I did (whilst in Terminal):
    1. sudo apt-get install module-assistant
    2. sudo module-assistant a-i alsa-source
    3. sudo pico /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    4. Added "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig" at the end of the config file.

When I restart I can adjust the volume. Hooray! There are some nasty side effects though. Volume works in Rythmbox and Songbird. However, in Last.fm and in Flash content in firefox, the sound has disappeared all together. Other embedded media in Firefox plays with sound (wmv, mov, etc), but not flash. Also, it's a great loss not to have last.fm in the background. What has happened?
    Last edited by romansky; April 27th, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

OK, so I solved it thanks to another thread about flash problems. This is what I did, in case others have the same problem:

1. sudo apt-get install module-assistant
    2. sudo module-assistant a-i alsa-source
    3. sudo pico /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    4. Added "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig" at the end of the config file.
    5. Restart machine
    6. sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

Now, most things seem to work. I don't know exactly what I've done here, though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast