Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: converting WMA to flac/wv/shn

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

converting WMAL to flac/wv/shn

i have a whole bunch of wma files i want to convert to a more liked format like wv flac or shn

shntool does not seem to want to do that

soundconverter and soundkonverter both refuse too

any ideas? my wma format is wma1 or wmal cannot tell if is is 1 the number or l the letter L

if you cannot be bothered to read the whole post a summary of info found goes like this simple solution 1. they play in xine straight off xine is in your synaptic

2. to convert quickly install dBpoweramp under wine again quick and no fuss[
    Last edited by shantiq; January 3rd, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Re: converting WMA to flac/wv/shn

All the tools refused to run? You probably dont have the w32codecs installed (w64codecs on 64bit).

If they are wmal (L) then they are wma 'lossless' so converting to flac isnt evil (like it would be to convert lossy wma to lossless codecs). Still, if you have the CD, it would be better to just rerip- wma lossless has issues.

.flac is probably your best bet, .wv isnt bad but I'd rather have flac for a lot of reasons. Dont use .shn, its totally overpowered by the newer lossless codecs in every regard.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    All the tools refused to run? You probably dont have the w32codecs installed (w64codecs on 64bit).

If they are wmal (L) then they are wma 'lossless' so converting to flac isnt evil (like it would be to convert lossy wma to lossless codecs). Still, if you have the CD, it would be better to just rerip- wma lossless has issues.

.flac is probably your best bet, .wv isnt bad but I'd rather have flac for a lot of reasons. Dont use .shn, its totally overpowered by the newer lossless codecs in every regard.

i have the w32 installed not sure what it is

thanx for clearing the L thing i shall look around for that

man i am a big shorten fan it is the clearest of all the formats to my ear
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

ok not a perfect ubuntu solution but since i now know it is wma lossless(thank you cascade9)i browsed the net and lo and behold there is a way that works

installing dbpoweramp under wine and installing the wma plugin then you can convert your files here is the howto i found

only had to use the second part Install dBpoweramp Music Converter

OF COURSE if anyone has a linux/ubuntu only solution i will gladly follow that
    Last edited by shantiq; May 31st, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans

OF COURSE if anyone has a linux/ubuntu only solution
    It's probable that dbpoweramp offers most 'complete' solution, if tags matter. (been a while since I used it, forget if it transfers wmal tags), and is easier to use

Anyway...

If a same name batch convert in linux (no tags) then atm only mplayer with 32 bit codecs will do
    mplayer to .wav - then .wav to whatever

Basic batch command to .wav
    At dir. prompt where wma's are, (- beware of characters in name that may hang decoding/encoding - one that will is a "," (comma), remove any from track names

Code:
    for f in *.wma;  do mplayer "$f" -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:waveheader:fast:file="${f%.wma}.wav"; done
    You could also pipe from mplayer to whatever, one way is with named pipes

Ex. of batch named pipes wmal to flac, same name, spaces don't matter, some characters may, most don't

Open 2 terminals at dir. prompt where wma's are (typically an album

In first terminal
    Code:
    mkdir tmp && for f in *.wma; do mkfifo ./tmp/"$f"; done && for f in ./tmp/*.wma; do flac "${f%.wma}.wma"; done
    press enter, cursur will be blinking

Then in 2nd term.
    Code:
    for f in *.wma;  do mplayer "$f" -vo null -vc null -ao pcm:waveheader:fast:file=./tmp/"${f%.wma}.wma"; done
    After done in either terminal to remove pipe files

Code:
    cd ./tmp && rm *.wma
    Last edited by mc4man; June 1st, 2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans

@ mc4man- dbpower amp should be any better than foobar. IIRC foobar doesnt need a plugin to play/convert wma-lossless either.

Also, I've seen threads here about how wma-lossless wotn play even with w32codecs installed. If thats the case (which it could very well be) then that is why soundconverter wouldnt work with wma-lossless. I dont know if mplayer will play the files, if it does then that method should work...i..f not, then its possible that VLC would, but I have no idea. I dont have a single wma file to test with, let alone a wma-lossless.

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    i have the w32 installed not sure what it is
    Its a package that lets you play .wma, .wmv, .rm (and probably other codecs I've forgotten about).

thanx for clearing the L thing i shall look around for that
    Better to look for .flac, .wv, they are better cdoecs with none of the problems of wma-lossless.

man i am a big shorten fan it is the clearest of all the formats to my ear
    That is probably more to do with the decoder than anything else. All the lossless formats should sound the same (in theory).

Beans

Also, I've seen threads here about how wma-lossless wotn play even with w32codecs installed. If thats the case (which it could very well be) then that is why soundconverter wouldnt work with wma-lossless.
    It's not enough to just have 32codecs installed - the app must also support decoding thru dmo, at present no gstreamer app does.

A 32 bit mplayer, vlc built w/ dmo enabled, and most xine based players can decode wmal

(here on lucid I get wmal decoding thru mplayer, vlc, and totem-xine

Edit:
    the latest foobar2000 requires the presence of windows media runtime libraries in system32 to decode wmal
    (have it here
    Last edited by mc4man; June 1st, 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It's not enough to just have 32codecs installed - the app must also support decoding thru dmo, at present no gstreamer app does.

A 32 bit mplayer, vlc built w/ dmo enabled, and most xine based players can decode wmal

(here on lucid I get wmal decoding thru mplayer, vlc, and totem-xine
    Ahh, so thats the reason why gstreamer programs wont work with wma-lossless,a dn why mplayer will (well, people say it will, I dotn have any wma files at all anymore). Thanks for the info

Edit:
    the latest foobar2000 requires the presence of windows media runtime libraries in system32 to decode wmal
    (have it here
    It does? *blinks* I cant be sure if the earlier versions needed that or not, no wma here. I'm still stuck on 0.9.5.5 since the later versions dont support SCP (single column playlist).

Beans

It does?
    I think so... actually to test something ( drop in desktop/panel launchers), I ended up with both 0.8.3 and 1.0.3 both being installed.
    The 0.8.3 has a plugin,(foo.wma.dll), the 1.0.3 doesn't, I don't believe either played wmal until adding the runtime files. (though don't exactly remember

You can always get a sample for testing here (many others also

http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/lossless/

Beans

I think so... actually to test something ( drop in desktop/panel launchers), I ended up with both 0.8.3 and 1.0.3 both being installed.
    The 0.8.3 has a plugin,(foo.wma.dll), the 1.0.3 doesn't, I don't believe either played wmal until adding the runtime files. (though don't exactly remember

You can always get a sample for testing here (many others also

http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/lossless/
    Really streching my memory, but 0.8.3 and earlier versions needed the foo_wma plugin, 0.9 versions dont. I know I did have some .wma files for a while when I was using 0.9, and I never d/led a plugin (and had WMP totally removed as well). Well, I think I didnt d/l a plugin, and there isnt one in my 'folder of foobits'

IIRC, the 0.8.3 and earler versions had the .ape decoder as standard, but it was discontinued with 0.9, and wma support was added. (out of the box, you can play almost anythign with plugins).

Thanks for the link, I might have to grab a .wma lossless file just for testing reasons. Gawds only know I wont be ripping one, WMP makes me sick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast