Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

Beans

Re: Howto: Install Ubuntu without a CD

hi, just wonderin, is there a way to add the noapic option when booting into the installer, because it wont start without using the noapic option

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Schiavonske1013 View Post
    hi, just wonderin, is there a way to add the noapic option when booting into the installer, because it wont start without using the noapic option
    Either select the UNetbootin option and mash ESC button immediately afterwards until you see the grub menu, then you can edit the kernel line using 'e' and boot with 'b', or you can also edit the C:\menu.lst file and add noapic to the end of the kernel line of the UNetbootin entry towards the end

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Either select the UNetbootin option and mash ESC button immediately afterwards until you see the grub menu, then you can edit the kernel line using 'e' and boot with 'b', or you can also edit the C:\menu.lst file and add noapic to the end of the kernel line of the UNetbootin entry towards the end
    So I downloaded it, rebooted and it is stuck at:

Please help, thanks...
    Xubuntu installed on ThinkPad a21m with 700mhz pentium 3, 256mb ram, 9gb hd

thanks ubuntu - y'all helped me figure out a use for my useless laptop stuck in my closet (well I am still working on getting everything right. but...)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajskhan View Post
    So I downloaded it, rebooted and it is stuck at:

Please help, thanks...
    Looks like some kind of hardware incompatibility. Some options that might help (see my previous post) are noapic, noacpi, nolapic, acpi=off, maybe do a google search for your hardware (some motherboads need some more obscure options to work), if none of those work, perhaps try installing Fedora or openSUSE instead (see the website at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html I have instructions for each), they might detect work better with your hardware, perhaps try the desktop/liveCD version of Ubuntu as well (though I doubt that will work if the netboot installer hangs), otherwise, if none of those work, chances are, your hardware isn't compatible with Linux, perhaps try the new opensolaris preview release, pc-bsd, desktopbsd, or freebsd if you still want a unix-like system, otherwise, you're out of luck

Beans

I downloaded Unetbootin for Gutsy, installed it, reboot my computer but it failed to find GRLDR saying:
    Try (HD0,0): NTFS5:2
    Try (HD0,1): NTFS5 No grldr
    Try (HD0,2): ....
    It then asked for reboot. Rebooting to windows and deny uninstall, I can see the GRLDR in the C:.
    Boot.ini entry is correct.
    I have tried wubi before and can successfully install on D:, but I want a real install so gave Unetbootin a shot. I cannot use LVPM because HD space is limited, C: is 12 GB and D: is 6 GB. Strangely, I cannot install wubi on C: eventhough I have freed 7.2 GB of HD space.

In short, I seems it was Unetbootin problem that I encountered (because Wubi can do).
    Last edited by hums07; November 5th, 2007 at 11:03 AM.
    - [HTML=www.ubuntu.com]Ubuntu[/HTML] - [HTML=http://mugos.ums.ac.id]Solo mirror[/HTML]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hums07 View Post
    I downloaded Unetbootin for Gutsy, installed it, reboot my computer but it failed to find GRLDR saying:

It then asked for reboot. Rebooting to windows and deny uninstall, I can see the GRLDR in the C:.
    Boot.ini entry is correct.
    I have tried wubi before and can successfully install on D:, but I want a real install so gave Unetbootin a shot. I cannot use LVPM because HD space is limited, C: is 12 GB and D: is 6 GB. Strangely, I cannot install wubi on C: eventhough I have freed 7.2 GB of HD space.

In short, I seems it was Unetbootin problem that I encountered (because Wubi can do).
    After installing UNetbootin but prior to rebooting, copy the files grldr.mbr, grldr, and menu.lst from C:\ to D:\ and whatever other partitions you might have, and try rebooting and select the UNetbootin option as usual; it should work then

Beans
    Distro

I've added UNetbootin packages for installing Slackware 12.0, download at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=198821 I've posted instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3720797 and http://slackwarehelp.org/viewtopic.php?p=6427

On another note, Fedora 8 is coming out in 2 days, I'll get UNetbootin Fedora 8 No-CD install builds out as soon as possible after it's released...

Beans
    Distro

Fedora 8 has been released, so I've accordingly added UNetbootin builds to allow for no-CD Fedora installs. You can download the Fedora 8 version at https://sourceforge.net/project/show...kage_id=251761

If installing Fedora, select "FTP" as the installation source, and for the server, specify:

download.fedora.redhat.com

and for the folder, if using the standard (32-bit) version, specify:

pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os

or if using the 64-bit version, specify:

pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/x86_64/os

Beans

I have Vista and I've tried the mandriva 08 installer but all it does is boot back to Windows.

I have a few questions:

What files do I need before the install, and what to do with them?
    What commands do I need to add to my boot file?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by adolan21 View Post
    I have Vista and I've tried the mandriva 08 installer but all it does is boot back to Windows.

I have a few questions:

What files do I need before the install, and what to do with them?
    What commands do I need to add to my boot file?

Thanks.
    Very strange... Anyhow, when you open the Command Prompt in Administrator mode, and enter "bcdedit", does the last entry say "UNetbootin"? If not, apparently it didn't edit the Windows Vista bcd config properly, that would probably be the issue...

Anyhow, to add the entry manually, use the following commands (make sure you run the commmand prompt as administrator):

Code:
    bcdedit /create /d "UNetbootin" /application bootsector
    Now it'll tell you some long id string, substitute that into wherever I have "someid" in the next few lines (but keep the {brackets} around the id string)

Code:
    bcdedit /set {someid} device boot
    bcdedit /set {someid} path \grldr.mbr
    bcdedit /displayorder {someid} /addlast
    Then see if it works afterwards...

EDIT: Perhaps your timeout is set to 0. If that's the case, do this:

Code:
    bcedit /timeout 30
    That'll set timeout to 30 seconds.

PS What edition of Vista is this? Also, did you upgrade or is this some fresh install? Also did you do any weird system config hacks on it? Also is the timeout set above 0 in bcdedit?
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; November 10th, 2007 at 07:59 AM.

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast