Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Show Us Your Server

It was back in July of 2008 that I listed my server in this thread. Since then My server got fried in a storm. I rebuilt it a little over a month ago so it is back running again. To see the first post go to post # 189. I updated it to a AMD 140 processor with 1.7 GB of memory. My first server was running Ubuntu 8.04, and my new one is now 10.04. Here is a screen shot of Ubuntu Tweak running on my server in a VNC window.

Screenshot-Untitled Window.png

The big difference is the boot up time. My old server took about a minute and a half to two minutes to boot up. Now it take about 15 to 20 seconds. New hardware, new software (OS).
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cartman640 View Post
    Well here's mine, I just finished rebuilding it last night (yet to tidy the cables inside). It is the file server for my flat, and of course running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit Server.

Specs:
    2.7GHz Athlon X2 Dual Core CPU
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    560W Silverstone Zeus PSU
    Dual Gigabit network cards (for link aggregation)
    250GB system drive
    4x 1.5TB HDDs in RAID 5 for data
    All in an Antec 1200 case

I also have a second RAID 5 in the making, which will have 4x 1TB HDDs, I'm just waiting on the fourth drive. It also has its own room in my flat, which is good because it's anything but quiet

I've also got a second much older (as in Socket A Athlon XP age) that runs pfSense, currently in my room but if it ever gets powered off for some reason I'll probably shift that into our "server room"
    I dig the cinder blocks.

Beans

build was finished on 28th or march, just not got round to posting it here:

this is the build that inspired this one http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...ic.php?t=57944 my case is the same style as his , but its a couple of inches taller.

the main use for this is as a torrent slave and a htpc, server duties come in 2nd

i chose the Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX-I-E socket 775 over the atom ion board because i already had socket 775 cpu, and its nice to have abit more grunt when its needed such as encoding videos etc, aslo the idle power of this board + e5200 isnt much more then a similar atom/ion build

Software:
    ubuntu 10.04
    xbmc
    rtorrent
    flexget: for auto download of tv shows from rss feeds
    nfs server: for my laptop,desktop and my older sisters ubuntu nettop (acer revo)
    ssh server: used for remote admin, and socks proxy.
    samba server: for my little sisters mac, and windows desktop
    ushare server : for streaming to the xbox360, rarley used, but its nice to have
    daap server: for itunes, rarley used, but also nice to have.
    tftp server: for diskless instalations
    esniper: for auto bidding on ebay auctions.

Parts:
    Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX-I-E (i never installed the wifi board)
    Intel E5200*
    mini ninja heat sink*
    4gb ddr2 800*
    2*samsung 1.5tb f2 3.5" drives*
    Pico PSU 150xt* + dell Da2 220w power block*
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174463 case
    ipazzport hand held keyboard and track pad*
    2*Artic cooling 8025 pwm fans both as exaust*

*things i already had from the original server, so its just a new motherboard and case really

Cost (when i brought the parts):
    motherboard: £100
    CPU: £50
    RAM: £40
    HDD: £70 each
    Case: £35
    Heat sink: £25
    Pico PSU: £30 + £20 for the block
    Remote: £30

Total: £470 ... ouch , i didnt relize i had spent that much lol, i wish parts here were the same price as in the usa, you lucky people

Power Usage:
    Idle sittign at openbox desktop: 33-35w
    running xbmc but not playing anything: 40w
    playing 1080p video xbmc : 40-41w
    playing 1080p video xbmc and running mprime: 72-75w

the 200w power block is abit over kill, but i already had it

all power usage measuerd from plug

i could of saved power if i didnt have 2 full sized drives in there, but they dont make laptop hard drives big enough.

has any one else noticed xbmc increasing power usage, even when just sitting at its home page, it cant take 5w of power for it to display an rss feed can it? any one knows a way to get the 5w less then it will be cool, as the pc is on 24h torrenting and unless im playin somthing then i have xbmc running for fast access.

noise:
    idle: both fans spinning slow, inaudable
    playing 1080p video in xbmc: both fans spinning slow inaudable
    playing 1080p video in xbmc and mprime: fans spin at 50-60% speed, are quiet, but can be heard 1m away, if you listen for them.

i did try running the system fanless, playing a 1080p video and running mprime, the cpu was ok running at 50C but the chip set temp hit 99C and the pc powerd it self off, i think if you fitted a bigger hear sink on the chipset/igpu then fanless operation would probably be possible

the 3.5" hard drives are screwed in the a cadge from an old case, and mounted on polystyrine (spelling?) at the front of the case so i cannot hear them unless there starting up.

the thick black wire goin in the right side at the back is the power cable from the da2 block, it just fitted thru 1 of the holes alredy on the case, i have put a cabel tie to stop the cabel frm getting pulled out.

Pics

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...9/DSC_0002.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...9/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...9/DSC_0004.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...9/DSC_0005.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...9/DSC_0006.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...9/DSC_0007.jpg

temps:

i have ran mprime over night so see what temps i will get...so far is been 15 hours

core0 :53C
    core1 :53C
    chipset: 79C
    SDA: 23C
    SDB: 23C

i was impressed with the case, for the price and size, the case was roomey inside, and very easy to work with, it practacly swallowed the mini ninja heat sink, and would probably take a full sized ninja if you wasnt going to have a optical drive or had one that wasnt as deep as the place holder im using now

thanks for reading my first write up, any feed back or questions feel free to reply

since i took these pics, I have replaced the fan at the back with a 120mm version, and i have changed the way the hdds are mounted, now i could fit 3 or 4 drives easily, if any one wants to see pics of the new hdd mounts then let me know
    Last edited by markp1989; July 7th, 2010 at 11:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@markp1989

None of your pictures work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    @markp1989

None of your pictures work.
    wops, its fixed now thanks for telling me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Furry_Fighter_20x66 View Post
    Interesting posting. Okay. Here's my server. The bottom drawer is a Dell GX150 running MythBackend, NFS, Apache, and a Fax server. Because the GX150 has everything moved around the connectors are on the right of the case and the ventilation fan is on the back.

Top drawer (interior shown) is a Duron 700 and is not in use. Between the server in the lower box, the laptops, and my main quad core, it is redundant.

Finally, a real use for those plastic containers from wal-mart.
    Epic pc case.
    Last edited by kingrobdun; July 7th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Is that a shoelace?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My latest play thing, not really a server as yet but it's running 10.04 desktop edition at the moment

It's an overclocked P4 to 3.1ghz, 1gb ram and 80gb drive, nothing too special but all good fun

I tried to take a photo using my phone (like above) of my Dell poweredge 1750 running esxi 3.5 but it won't turn out in the low light. That does have ubuntu server 10.04 running in a virtual machine as a ssh socks proxy, I'm just trying to learn the Linux server basics at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Queue29 View Post
    I've got something better (which I copied from another UF member, but I don't remember who.. sorry :[ )

It updates every time you refresh. Expanding it is pretty easy.
    After a bit of tweaking it'll look something like this.

</snip>
    That looks really interesting. Seems like I could easily convert my page to that PHP based one. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Furry_Fighter_20x66 View Post
    Interesting posting. Okay. Here's my server. The bottom drawer is a Dell GX150 running MythBackend, NFS, Apache, and a Fax server. Because the GX150 has everything moved around the connectors are on the right of the case and the ventilation fan is on the back.

Top drawer (interior shown) is a Duron 700 and is not in use. Between the server in the lower box, the laptops, and my main quad core, it is redundant.

Finally, a real use for those plastic containers from wal-mart.
    That is an awesome idea

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    This is one I setup at work a few days ago with the new Opteron processors (16 cores at 2.0GHz, 16GB memory, six 2TB drives, Adaptec 5805 controller). Its not sketchy but I've setup some in the past that have been pretty ugly. When done installing Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS it will be used for video storage and transcoding.
    Such power..... Your job seems fun

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    nekokoneko.co.cc

It's a VPS, I got it for $10 a month .

I've been using VNC on it, for some reason, the bandwidth in my control panel registers 0.00gb. It's been on for a few days. :/
    What are the stats of your VPS dragos? How powerful is it, for $10 pm?

Quote Originally Posted by cartman640 View Post
    Well here's mine, I just finished rebuilding it last night (yet to tidy the cables inside). It is the file server for my flat, and of course running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit Server.

Specs:
    2.7GHz Athlon X2 Dual Core CPU
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM
    560W Silverstone Zeus PSU
    Dual Gigabit network cards (for link aggregation)
    250GB system drive
    4x 1.5TB HDDs in RAID 5 for data
    All in an Antec 1200 case

I also have a second RAID 5 in the making, which will have 4x 1TB HDDs, I'm just waiting on the fourth drive. It also has its own room in my flat, which is good because it's anything but quiet

</snip>

I've also got a second much older (as in Socket A Athlon XP age) that runs pfSense, currently in my room but if it ever gets powered off for some reason I'll probably shift that into our "server room"
    Thats a really nice system, but what is with the pizza boxes???
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    Is that a shoelace?
    it is lol, was lookin for somthing to stop the fan moving, and i found that in the draw

Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast