Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Wibu without downloading Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Installing Wibu without downloading Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MacMhuirich View Post
    I've tried putting the iso in the same folder as the installer. The The installer moves the iso into the wubi directory then tries to download which overwrites the iso. I've also let the thing download several times and it just starts downloading again. I've uninstalled, I've cleared out the temp folder, I've cleaned with Norton Cleansweep. Any suggestions?
    Hmm that might be because the checksum is not correct. Download the iso manually, do a checksum to veify that there where no transmission errors, then use a copy to install.

Beans

Angry Re: Installing Wibu without downloading Ubuntu

i downloaded ubuntu-7.04-alternate-amd64.iso

simply because I have an AMD64, I dont want to use i386.

I checked the checksum. match.

I put amd64.iso file in folder with Wubi-7.04.03.exe

I do install. every time it tries downloading the i386.iso

??????

Beans

64 bits are not supported at the moment, you can still install 32 bits.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    64 bits are not supported at the moment, you can still install 32 bits.
    noooo!!!
    i'm sure there's a reason why but I don't have a idea what it could be. i mean it just installs right? how could 64 or 32 make any difference unless wubi is running all times while running linux?

Beans

because we would need to compile and maintain a second initrd, and since I (and the other devs) do not have a 64 bit machines that is not going to happen.

Of course if someone wanted to donate a 64 bit machine I would reconsider

That said once wubi is included with gutsy it will come to all archs supported by ubuntu.

Beans

because we would need to compile and maintain a second initrd, and since I (and the other devs) do not have a 64 bit machines that is not going to happen.

That said once wubi is included with gutsy it will come to all archs supported by ubuntu.
    ok. is it easy to install 64 support on my own after installed i386?

Beans

another thing i am curious about...in the 'install' folder under wubi on the target install drive...it has a collection of metalink files, both i386 and amd64 of ubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu and lupin devel...why are these files there to be used if 64bits isn't supported? was it in the works to do so and then forgot to get removed or something?

Beans

yep we worked on those, have the metalinks ready thanks to Hampusw (who has a 64bit machine), but did not follow up, as mentioned the required step is to have a second initrd secifically compiled for such machines.

My view is to try wubi32 bit, if you like what you see, do a real 64 bit installation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12