Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: itunes

Beans

Re: itunes

The lack of iTunes for Ubuntu or any other Linux distro is worrying. It is a well documented fact that users who are used to using iTunes will dislike using anything else which makes the migration to linux very painful when it really shouldn't be.

I have been using Linux for a few years now and have migrated friends and family to Linux because their MS machines suffered from usual problems which stopped them from doing the basic things they wanted to do.

Now I get asked the question of "Can I use iTunes?". This is where the migration falls apart because the answer is of course, no.

iPods and iPhones are getting more and more popular every day and it's fair to say most people have one. My calculations tell me that if potential new ubuntu fans find out they cannot use iTunes to configure their apple devices the Ubuntu popularity will recede as the apple popularity grows.

I'm sorry this isn't an answer to the original question.

This has been an issue for ages and reiterating my point above it isn't the first time this question has been asked and until something gets done it definitely won't be the last time.

My questions to whoever it concerns (Mark Shuttleworth at Canonical) are:

i) Why can't iTunes be ported to Ubuntu?

ii) Realistically will it ever be ported to Ubuntu?

I think it's important to have these questions answered.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by keenboy View Post
    The lack of iTunes for Ubuntu or any other Linux distro is worrying. It is a well documented fact that users who are used to using iTunes will dislike using anything else which makes the migration to linux very painful when it really shouldn't be.

I have been using Linux for a few years now and have migrated friends and family to Linux because their MS machines suffered from usual problems which stopped them from doing the basic things they wanted to do.

Now I get asked the question of "Can I use iTunes?". This is where the migration falls apart because the answer is of course, no.

iPods and iPhones are getting more and more popular every day and it's fair to say most people have one. My calculations tell me that if potential new ubuntu fans find out they cannot use iTunes to configure their apple devices the Ubuntu popularity will recede as the apple popularity grows.

I'm sorry this isn't an answer to the original question.

This has been an issue for ages and reiterating my point above it isn't the first time this question has been asked and until something gets done it definitely won't be the last time.

I think it's important to have these questions answered.

Thanks,
    iTunes can't be ported to Ubuntu because it is a proprietary Apple application. The only way to get it to work natively in Linux would be for Apple to release a Linux version. Realistically, I don't see that ever happening.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by keenboy View Post

I'm going to agree with Paul41 here...

Apple will never release iTunes for Linux, not before Hell freezes over at least... Seriously, look at the battle that Palm Pre and Apple had been going through earlier this year. Everytime Palm had their system working, Apple _intentionally_ broke support in the next release of iTunes.

What do you think the real problem is here? Is it that Apple hasn't released a version of iTunes for Linux or does it have to do with the fact that every time another application builds support for iPods, iTouchs - that Apple breaks that support?

Let's get right down to brass tacks... OSX is unix based, it's a port of BSD for God sakes - that should make porting iTunes to another Linux variant pretty easy. Probably easier than porting it to Windows... Apple has taken everything from the Open Source community and has given nothing back; not even a port of iTunes... I wouldn't hold your breath for it to happen.

AND, yes you are totally correct. Helping people who own these devices migrate to linux is usually met with head aches. They don't care about the politics of open source, or the fact that Apple is worse than Microsoft... they just want that 200$ device to work the way it's supposed to.

My advice... use Windows from a Virtual Machine. Yes, it sucks... but usually Linux support is only 6 months behind the popular main stream support so it'll catch up - it's usually a temporary situation. And get involved with the projects that are making a difference, help them where ever you can - you don't have to be a programmer to help... this is an open source community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I couple of days ago trying to install ie4linux i discoverd playonlinux application... Lets you install all kinds of windows applications: from ie, itunes, office 2007 and a tone of games

sudo apt-get playonlinux

or just go to the respiratories
    Let the source be with you...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DLG102282 View Post
    Have you tried running it in WINE?
    Works quite ok with current stable Wine version. I had to install an old iTunes 7.3.2 installer (available at http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php ) to be able to play my own music. Connecting to the iTunes store didn't work, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: itunes

Okay... This might sound really stupid, but if Wine can run Windows applications on Ubuntu, is there a Linux application that can run Mac applications on Ubuntu? At least, if such an application exists, we could try installing the Mac version of iTunes on Ubuntu!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by tareksobh View Post
    Okay... This might sound really stupid, but if Wine can run Windows applications on Ubuntu, is there a Linux application that can run Mac applications on Ubuntu? At least, if such an application exists, we could try installing the Mac version of iTunes on Ubuntu!!
    As far as I know there is nothing that will allow you to run Mac applications.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blade1950 View Post
    I've found that the best solution is to drop ALL software that is MS based including the "Workarounds, ie, Wine, VB, etc) I have had very good success finding alternates that are native to Ubuntu. Try this one. It works quite well.

http://banshee-project.org/

T
    Awesome! Just what I was looking for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by heepie View Post
    I couple of days ago trying to install ie4linux i discoverd playonlinux application... Lets you install all kinds of windows applications: from ie, itunes, office 2007 and a tone of games

sudo apt-get playonlinux

or just go to the respiratories
    itunes 7 doesn't seem to work well through this. Tried it on ubuntu 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

iTunes 7.6 and 8.2 both run in Crossover 9.0. iTunes 8.2 seems to run a lot faster than 7.6.

When installing itunes, put it in a winxp bottle. When asked, uncheck the box for automatic updates and say no to auto run. I get an error message saying the installation failed, but in fact it runs quite well.

I'd recommend using ether songbird or amarok, but if you must have itunes it can be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast