Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Quote Originally Posted by scottfranklin View Post
    That was along the lines of what I was thinking. Put "disable wireless" in the suspend script.

I've noticed, though, that when I wake from suspend I can't get back to the launcher. I can use any applications that I had open before suspend, but either netbook-launcher or gdm itself is hung. Worse, if I try to log out or restart gdm the screen goes blank & hangs and I have to REISUB.

I'm not sure if this is an xorg issue (I'll try the suggestions you made) or a netbook-launcher problem. I wonder if there's an easy way to go classic gnome just once to see if it works. I'll investigate and let you know.

scott

p.s. the xorg.conf you posted for external monitor didn't have anything related to the touch screen. How do you simultaneously run touchscreen & external monitor (or don't you)?
    Scott, I don't have those issues with suspend at all - very weird. Mine seems to be working fine now = even without turning off wireless!?

All my touch stuff is in fdi files. X can use either xorg.conf or fdi (see bolded below):
    Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/
    total 68
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2723 2009-10-14 19:05 10-linuxwacom.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  242 2009-05-11 18:06 10-x11-input-tslib.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2823 2009-12-30 16:47 11-x11-synaptics.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  348 2009-10-26 06:29 11-x11-vmmouse.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  440 2009-07-13 02:54 20-libgpod-sysinfo-extended.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3066 2009-10-09 07:15 25-ntfs-3g-policy.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1956 2009-12-31 22:36 50-asustek.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1330 2009-11-23 06:06 50-eGalax.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  840 2009-11-23 06:06 50-elo-2700.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  963 2009-11-23 06:06 50-Fujitsu.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  757 2009-11-23 06:06 50-gunze.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1157 2009-11-23 06:06 50-ideaco.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1183 2009-11-23 06:06 50-ideaco-idc6681.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1138 2009-11-23 06:06 50-itm.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  964 2009-11-23 06:06 50-Panasonic.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1338 2009-11-23 06:06 50-touchkit.fdi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1888 2009-11-23 06:06 50-touchpack.fdi
    ...I did a long listing so you have a hint at which ones I've changed - and I've attached the two main ones - have a look. I do touch screen and touch pad (mouse) with fdi's and everything else xorg.conf. I have found that having definitions in both for the same thing ends up confusing X tho, so beware.

There used to be a disable netbook icon script/program in previous UNR versions, but it's gone now. You can go into Startup Applications (icon in System) and disable netbook-launcher and Maximus, but it doesn't work as expected, I don't think. I have no problem with launcher, so I don't think that's your issue.

EDIT: Also, not sure that I've tried touch screen with extern monitor connected - I know I've had to add settings in xorg.conf in previous machines, to configure what touch screen effects - ie local display vs both or only external. I haven't done that tho with this one. I use the extern monitor for Xmind mostly, and usually use my USB mouse. I'll have to try it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 7th, 2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added comment

Beans

EDIT 1: yes, I'm dense, but am I correct in thinking I should have both an xorg.conf file (for resolution issues) and .fdi files (for touchscreen stuff)?

First of all, thanks to everyone for being so patient. I'm sorry I'm taking the forum on a (yet again) step-by-step journey through getting the T91MT up and running. Let me know if I should take this off-line to e-mails instead.

I'm taking 1 step back to enable several steps forward:

kgingeri, I'm going to try reproduce EXACTLY what you have on your machine. So, I've removed my xorg.conf file and added the .fdi files to /etc/hal/fdi/policy (I don't have a third-party folder). X starts but doesn't recognize the monitor so defaults to 800x600. I've added the two lines to /etc/udev/rules.d/69-touchscreen.rules, and confirmed that the idVendor & idProduct are correct.

Are there any other config files I'm missing? (i.e. are input/asus_touchscreen_event & input/asus_buttons_event automatically generated?)

dmesg confirms an AsusTek MultiTouch device. Now I need to figure out why hal doesn't seem to apply the correct .fdi file.
    Last edited by scottfranklin; March 7th, 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: need to ask a VERY basic question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

EDIT 1: yes, I'm dense, but am I correct in thinking I should have both an xorg.conf file (for resolution issues) and .fdi files (for touchscreen stuff)?

First of all, thanks to everyone for being so patient. I'm sorry I'm taking the forum on a (yet again) step-by-step journey through getting the T91MT up and running. Let me know if I should take this off-line to e-mails instead.

I'm taking 1 step back to enable several steps forward:

kgingeri, I'm going to try reproduce EXACTLY what you have on your machine. So, I've removed my xorg.conf file and added the .fdi files to /etc/hal/fdi/policy (I don't have a third-party folder). X starts but doesn't recognize the monitor so defaults to 800x600. I've added the two lines to /etc/udev/rules.d/69-touchscreen.rules, and confirmed that the idVendor & idProduct are correct.

Are there any other config files I'm missing? (i.e. are input/asus_touchscreen_event & input/asus_buttons_event automatically generated?)

dmesg confirms an AsusTek MultiTouch device. Now I need to figure out why hal doesn't seem to apply the correct .fdi file.
    Ok Scott, yes I do use both xorg.conf and fdi files.
    I can see one problem tho - you don't see the thirdparty folder cuz your in the wrong folder tree.
    Leave /etc/hal untouched and use /usr/share/hal....
    If you have duped fdi stuff going on one will get ignored - and I think it's the /etc one! Try that and see what you get. My instructions didn't say /etc did they?! I'm mobile right now or I'd check.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay I have started installing UNR 9.10. I will be writing a HOWTO install UNR on the T91MT, along the way, see:

http://binken.org/wordpress/?p=476

To give new users 1 place to find all the information from around the Internet. It's still a work in progress. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have installed Ubuntu itself and the Intel Poulsbo drivers.

Question: The best way to install the drivers for the multi-touch display? Is this still to follow the kgingeri #155 post? Or are there now better ways/newer drivers? TIA!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by tHe-BiNk View Post
    Okay I have started installing UNR 9.10. I will be writing a HOWTO install UNR on the T91MT, along the way, see:

http://binken.org/wordpress/?p=476

To give new users 1 place to find all the information from around the Internet. It's still a work in progress. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have installed Ubuntu itself and the Intel Poulsbo drivers.

Question: The best way to install the drivers for the multi-touch display? Is this still to follow the kgingeri #155 post? Or are there now better ways/newer drivers? TIA!
    Sounds good! My #155 post is a bit dated now, but just ask, and I'll try to update you as you go. It is a good starting place at least. The problem is that I do tweaking every week it seems that gets things ,ore complete.
    If you start with #155 and then read post between me and ScottFranklin (previous 2 or 3 pages) that'll give you most of what I know.

I've attached the xf86 file again, in case it's more recent (named different so not sure).

EDIT: Your blog looks good so far BTW

EDIT2: I've updated #155 a bit, as it seems a lot of ppl end up there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 9th, 2010 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have the same problems with the launcher and sleep/resume as described by scottfranklin. If I put the t91 to sleep with a program running in the foreground I can usually use it again on wake as long as I don't try to bring up the launcher, switch to a console or (maybe) run anything that uses openGL. HOWEVER, if I shut down after resuming from sleep it appears to shut down properly, but runs fdisk on resume suggesting something didn't go right. Using REISUB gets a cleaner restart.

Given the behaviour I'm suspecting the problem lies in how the graphics driver talks to the hardware for certain things - maybe a memory access issue? I was able to resume from sleep without any problems in the days back before I worked out how to install the poulsbo driver.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    I have the same problems with the launcher and sleep/resume as described by scottfranklin. If I put the t91 to sleep with a program running in the foreground I can usually use it again on wake as long as I don't try to bring up the launcher, switch to a console or (maybe) run anything that uses openGL. HOWEVER, if I shut down after resuming from sleep it appears to shut down properly, but runs fdisk on resume suggesting something didn't go right. Using REISUB gets a cleaner restart.

Given the behaviour I'm suspecting the problem lies in how the graphics driver talks to the hardware for certain things - maybe a memory access issue? I was able to resume from sleep without any problems in the days back before I worked out how to install the poulsbo driver.
    Thanks, I was beginning to think it was just me. A few interesting tidbits from yesterday's playing:

1. If you kill gdm (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop) and suspend from the console it resumes just fine.

2. If you suspend/resume from w/in X and *then* try to kill gdm, the machine hangs. But, if you ssh in to the hanging machine, you'll find it absolutely impossible to kill the X process. It's hanging or waiting for something, but it just won't die.

scott

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Globally I find UNR on the T91MT to be very useful: it's fast, looks good, has good utilities, etc... Just two things:
    1 - are there people working on solving those random freezes ? I've had several kinds: loss of the trackpad but the touch-screen keeps working; lost of alt-tab but the top app keeps working properly... This is an important issue because I'm configuring a buch of those for work to be shared between several people. If it hangs, they'll hang me...

2 - are there softwares that can enhance the touch-screen experience ? Currently it only works as a single-button mouse, without double click. Can it perform full mouse functions (left-right, double click, wheel) ? Multitouch ? Zoom ? I've heard that Opera has some embedded multitouch but I haven't tried it. I tried one of the 'gesture' software recommended in this thread but I felt like a chicken playing with a knife: I had no clue how to configure and use it.

Beans

Arrow Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Hi,
    I want to use "rotate button" to make right-click of mouse. I read how you catch ACPI events of pressing/releasing this button, but how to write the script that turns on left-handed mouse orientation? can you help me?

By the way, there are 2 events on transformation netbook to tablet mode and backwards transformation (this events are used on M$ Windows for decreasing processor's frequency to 800 MHz - maybe because of problems with cooling).
    Code:
    > acpi_listen
    hotkey ATKD 0000007e 00000002 /* transform to tablet */
    hotkey ATKD 0000007f 00000002 /* transform to normal notebook */
    I recommend attach whis events to 180-degree screen rotation - when you transform netbook to tablet you ALWAYS need to rotate the screen and this rotation can be easily automated by this events.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thanks, I was beginning to think it was just me. A few interesting tidbits from yesterday's playing:

1. If you kill gdm (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop) and suspend from the console it resumes just fine.

2. If you suspend/resume from w/in X and *then* try to kill gdm, the machine hangs. But, if you ssh in to the hanging machine, you'll find it absolutely impossible to kill the X process. It's hanging or waiting for something, but it just won't die.

scott
    Dargaud and Scott, You guys have strange behavior! Are you running the latest kernel?
    I am currently at 2.6.31-20-generic. I have very good SLEEP action lately - my wireless even comes back on (most times) automatically!!! I have my power prefs set for sleep when I close the display and also for the Zz button (Fn+F1). Either of these methods have worked wonderful for me for the last several days! I've been putting it to sleep very regularly too.

I wish I would have documented my fixes better - so sorry for my bad memory and disorganization! I'm temped to reinstall completely and docu my steps, but almost afraid to, as I may not do something the same! I have other projects right now that need attention as well, but I may consider this soon.

EDIT: @dargaud - I am running the poulsbo driver also, and have not had any random freezes for months!?

EDIT2: Just tried again now - had Chrome open on this page, the Package installer for gnome-gmail , and a terminal open. Pressed my Fn-F1 sleep button, waited for a blinking blue power LED and the pressed a Shift key to bring it all back up again. All is fine, other than I did have to right-click the network-manager-applet and enable wireless this time (this is rare, but does happen occasionally). I am typing this on a resumed session!

EDIT3: You could also try to add "acpi_skip_timer_override" to your /etc/default/grub file, append it inside the quotes on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line (space seperate all values, of course), then do a "sudo update-grub" and reboot. See if that helps
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 10th, 2010 at 02:12 AM. Reason: One More Thing

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast