Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer with no Driver from Manufacturer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Printer with no Driver from Manufacturer

How would one go about getting a printer working that has zero support on linux? Are there packages of generic drivers one can try to see if it will communicate? Any ideas?
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans

Re: Printer with no Driver from Manufacturer

first best step is google with printer manufacturer and model + linux version (name number or both)
    if you won't find anything post that data here.

Beans
    Distro

I think the first thing anyone does is Google it...
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderAD View Post
    I think the first thing anyone does is Google it...
    i guess u do, sorry.

what is the printer and linux version info?

any how you can start here:
    http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Printer with no Driver from Manufacturer

Yes, there are very good "generic" open source driver sets available. One is called gutenprint. You should be able to find the Ubuntu package easily.

Once you get the gutenprint drivers installed, add your printer with CUPS. It should lead you right through the process.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sam1948 View Post
    i guess u do, sorry.

what is the printer and linux version info?

any how you can start here:
    http://www.openprinting.org/printers
    Thanks for the link, looks like a good resource, but this printer doesn't seem to be on the list. The printer itself doesn't have any serial numbers or anything. It's sort of a custom built one designed with a packaging system. Does anyone know if it's possible to pull this data from the command line? Model # and such? It's connected via LP1.

Beans

Thanks for the link, looks like a good resource, but this printer doesn't seem to be on the list. The printer itself doesn't have any serial numbers or anything. It's sort of a custom built one designed with a packaging system. Does anyone know if it's possible to pull this data from the command line? Model # and such? It's connected via LP1.
    this is a long shot but if you can look under the hoods of that printer and see some chips, it is most probably it is based on a known chip set of some other printer. look for numbers and names etc there and google them. if it leads to specs of other printers try to install their drivers and then using cups try to install that printer. good luck it is not obvious to get it working but it looks like a nice challenge.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Printer with no Driver from Manufacturer

Time for a new printer?

Sorry, I hate buying printers, too. My son took his fairly modern Canon MP620 to college and last week, so I connected a 10-year old Brother monochrome laser printer. Then I went to CUPS, found the gutenprint driver for it, and it worked right away.

But if you don't know what driver to look for, that makes it really difficult.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Do you know the manufacturer and/or reseller? Do you know anything about the specifications? What media types it takes, what type of print mechanism there is (inkjet, micro-dry, dot matrix, laser, etc.).
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    Do you know the manufacturer and/or reseller? Do you know anything about the specifications? What media types it takes, what type of print mechanism there is (inkjet, micro-dry, dot matrix, laser, etc.).
    I found out it's a Data Max printer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast