Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is the best music player software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What is the best music player software?

NOO!!! Stay with Rhythmbox why fix a not broken thing xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It is not really what you are looking for but I use mplayer and some shell functions to create playlists from my music folder:

Code:
    make_playlist () {
            find -L $HOME/slakkie/home/music -iname \*.mp3 -o -iname \*.ogg -o -iname \*.flac | sort > $HOME/media/playlist
    }

play_music () {
            local OPTIONS
            [ -n "$1" ] && OPTIONS="-shuffle "
            eval mplayer $OPTIONS -loop 0 -playlist $HOME/media/playlist
    }

play_artists () {
            local playlist=$HOME/media/playlist.artist
            : > $playlist
            for i in "$@"
            do
                    if [ -n $artists ]
                    then
                            grep -i $i $HOME/media/playlist >> $playlist
                    fi
            done
            if [ $(stat -c %s "$playlist") -ne "0" ]
            then
                    eval mplayer $OPTIONS -loop 0 -playlist $playlist
            fi
    }
    It doesn't organise the music, but since I rip my own CD's with abcde I don't feel the need to organize my music even more.

For me this is the best music player a man can have, I usually use screen where I start mplayer, then detach it, and just listen to the tunes. If I logout from my PC the music keeps playing, so any unfortunate crash of X, or other accident, I can at least listen to music while fixing the issue
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

NotevilJoe, Quod Libet has a plugin that downloads cover.jpg 's so that you can see the cover art for your album in the album list. Works pretty well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tv0571 View Post
    NotevilJoe, Quod Libet has a plugin that downloads cover.jpg 's so that you can see the cover art for your album in the album list. Works pretty well.
    I've got most of the album art I need -- what I want is to be able to browse my albums via it. I honesty can't understand why this isn't more of a priority for people ???

Just given Quod Libet a try, its nice but it isn't quite the view I'm looking for. The text takes up more room then the little pic's of the album covers. I crave the reverse.

In media monkey you can see all the alumbs up in a grid and its loverly. (see )
    In Song bird you can get a loverly line of large album covers that flow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by centos View Post
    Songbird has fine features but is way too slow. I'm currently using Banshee, but I totally miss foobar2k.

I'm looking for something that handles well compilations. Almost every player I tried shows only artist, so after adding compilation album (like soundtrack) to the library it creates many artist which has only one track. Is there any player that would read the Album artist tag (eg. Various artists) and then showed it as a Various amongst other artists with regular albums?
    Did you come up with anything that works ok with various artists? I play my music through XBMC so am looking for a program to rip disks to flac, tag properly including the albumartist field and cover art and is good at making playslist. Wouldnt have thought this was too much to ask but just tried Amarok, Exhaile, Banshee and rythmbox and non of them can do this easily and they seem to handle various artists as different albums as you mention. Best i can get so far is to rip with soundjuicer and tag with either Kid3 or remotely from a windows machine with Foobar- oh for Fobar for linux!

I used Amarok up until the 2- "upgrade", the equalizer was removed and that is a bad thing: Switched to Exaile, excellent interface (like Amarok), has equalizer with pre and user def presets and best tag editor I have seen. Album art fetcher falls short though: Integrated "streamripper" works fine, can review stations with id tags: I use it to control 480 watt Marshall Leach amp (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...leach&page=174)
    Last edited by brett-; May 25th, 2009 at 06:58 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234