Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xen 6.2 and Ubuntu server beta2 14.04

Beans

Xen 6.2 and Ubuntu server beta2 14.04

Hello to all,
    I just installed Ubuntu Server 14.04 beta2 on Xen Server 6.2 on which I have other virtual machines ubuntu (12.04) installed. The installation procedure is successful as usual, but this time the virtual machine does not start because of this error:

April 11, 2014 4:04:40 PM Error: Starting VM 'Development' - The bootloader for this VM returned an error - did the VM installation succeed? Unable to find partition containing kernel

I state that Grub is installed on the MBR and I have tried either with a separate /boot ext3 partition that with unique / ext4 partition.

Does anyone have some idea of what could be the problem?

thanks very much!

Beans

Re: Xen 6.2 and Ubuntu server beta2 14.04

I see the same problem, have not gotten that far into why but did successfully deploy with HVM template. Not optimal though :/

Beans

I managed to get Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit working on xenserver 6.2.

I used the same method to get a new template as described here. But ofcourse used "other-config:debian-release=Trusty" while setting the parameters.

So now with the new template start a new installation of Trusty.

Create a /boot partition that is ext2.

Do not install grub2!, instead drop to shell, chroot to /target, install grub, and run update-grub.

Then resume the installation, reboot. Install xentools from the iso and you should have a working Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit on xenserver 6.2
    Last edited by japje2; April 18th, 2014 at 11:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by japje2 View Post
    Do not install grub2!, instead drop to shell, chroot to /target, install grub, and run update-grub.

Then resume the installation
    newb here. how do you drop to a shell in the middle of an install, then how do you get back to the install?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by todd5 View Post
    newb here. how do you drop to a shell in the middle of an install, then how do you get back to the install?

Select 'go back' at the screen where it requests to install grub. In the menu you get go down untill you see the execute shell option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by japje2 View Post
    Select 'go back' at the screen where it requests to install grub. In the menu you get go down untill you see the execute shell option.
    Sorry... another newb here. Can you explain how to manually install grub1? I can get to the Shell during the install, but there is no grub-install' app to run.

Running: Xenserver v6.2 but trying to install Ubuntu v14.04 x64 via the iso. I have created the /boot dir in ext2 and the / folder in ext4 (used the steps found here: https://gist.github.com/ypchen/3187714), but the reboot fails immediately after the install with the following error:

Apr 20, 2014 2:20:18 PM Error: Starting VM 'ubuntu' - The bootloader for this VM returned an error -- did the VM installation succeed? Unable to find partition containing kernel
    Can anyone help? I am amazed by the number of people running into this problem but yet there seems to be no easy solution.

Thank you for your help.

Beans

There is no need of creating ext2 for boot, but it could be made.
    When the installaion reaches the grub2 installation point, select Go back. The install menu will appear. Scroll down to execute shell option. Execute the following

chroot /target
    apt-get install grub
    grub-install /dev/xvda
    update-grub
    confirm generation of menu.lst

exit
    exit
    in the menu press finish installation.
    For me it works. Thanks to japje2
    Last edited by ipolit; April 22nd, 2014 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ipolit View Post
    There is no need of creating ext2 for boot, but it could be made.
    When the installaion reaches the grub2 installation point, select Go back. The install menu will appear. Scroll down to execute shell option. Execute the following

chroot /target
    apt-get install grub
    grub-install /dev/xvda
    update-grub
    confirm generation of menu.lst

exit
    exit

These are the steps indeed

The cause of this (afaik) is the grub2 support in PyGrub. So dist-upgrading your 12.04 can work, if you change to grub (legacy).
    Untill PyGrub is 'fixed' in XenServer this is i think the only solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ipolit View Post

First, thank you for posting the instructions. I really appreciate your help with this.

Unfortunately, I find that the v14.04 Server install fails right after I click on "Finish the Installation" in the menu. What I end up seeing is a blank screen with the solid cursor in the lower left corner. The CPU then runs at 100% constantly - this happened twice to me when I followed your instructions.

On my second attempt, I left the install running overnight and still had the same result in the morning. Rebooting the install causes the 14.04 server to boot partially due to it not completing.

Any suggestions?

Beans

follow japje2 and ipolit suggestion and after exit exit do not choose finish installation from menu
    instead choose don't install grub and then complete installation
    Works on XenServer 6.2 (all updates installed) + ubuntu 14.04 server current official
    hope this helps ::

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast