Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu for gaming?

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu for gaming?

I have just brainstormed a revolutionary idea. A few years ago, Sony helped develop a Linux-based operating system to go onto the PlayStation 2; this operating system was called Linux for PS2. This kit consisted of the operating system, a keyboard, a mouse, a VGA adapter, an external hard drive and an ethernet cable.

As Ubuntu software can go onto any PC that uses gaming and ordinary mice and keyboards, if those peripherals, an external hard drive, an ethernet cable and a VGA adapter were added to the popular games console, surely a Ubuntu operating system for games consoles would work?

This operating system could have Internet functions to play games from online, and could play games of all platforms on that console. Ubuntu is currently the most popular Linux distribution going and it available to nearly all platforms so why exclude games consoles from the set?

Discuss.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu for gaming?

AFAIK, Linux for PS2 was added on the PS2 so that they can show off their CELL processor. Linux for PS2 was later removed with a firmware upgrade (I think). It's not that Ubuntu or Linux in general is not trying to get on consoles, it's the console hardware itself which is blocking people from modifying the software on it.
    In theory, you can install Ubuntu on an unpatched PS2 and use Ubuntu however you like on it, be it for browser games or other stuff.

Although, if you are looking for an open gaming console based on Linux (In this case, Android) you could look at a project called OUYA
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    AFAIK, Linux for PS2 was added on the PS2 so that they can show off their CELL processor. Linux for PS2 was later removed with a firmware upgrade (I think).
    I believe your thinking of the PS3. The PS2 never came preloaded with Linux (although some clever folks did figured out how to hack Linux onto it). The PS2 didn't have a CELL proscessor, it just had a 64-bit MIPS R5900 CPU.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

option to run linux was removed as it enabled you to run cracked games i believe.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

YellowDog linux 6.1 and 6.2 is currently maintained for PS3 at the YellowDog boards forum. It supports dual-boot between XMB and YellowDog.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ripps818 View Post
    I believe your thinking of the PS3. The PS2 never came preloaded with Linux (although some clever folks did figured out how to hack Linux onto it). The PS2 didn't have a CELL proscessor, it just had a 64-bit MIPS R5900 CPU.
    Maybe... One of the PSs had a CELL CPU
    Quote Originally Posted by Ximaceo View Post
    Maybe Valve will use Ubuntu in Steam Box, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%...e%29#Steam_Box
    There is Steam for Linux but I doubt they'll base it on Ubuntu, they might base it directly on Debian instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

I think Valve is currently planning to use a stripped down of Ubuntu for their console. There are a number of open source focused projects out there which use (or plan to use) Linux as the operating system for their console. If you do a search of Kickstarter you'll probably find a handful of these "Linux gaming console" projects.

Beans

Linux is getting a good grass roots movement going in the gaming world.

As for the PS3, I think they got rid of optional linux install because people were using it to hack into other parts of the console they didn't want them to have access to. I seem to remember some project adding functionality that even Sony hadn't implemented yet.

Beans

A lot of developers are already jumping on to Linux since steam launched. I am so happy Valve ported over so many games to show they have the confidence that Ubuntu and other Linux derivatives will sell on steam!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast