Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help installing Madwifi

Beans

Need help installing Madwifi

I just installed Hardy on my laptop. I'm a first time linux user and I want to learn how to work it and I like the way it works so far.

I have an atheros wireless card and I'm pretty sure that I need the madwifi driver but I'm not really sure has to how to go about installing it. I have the tar.gz file downloaded but I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Need help installing Madwifi

Which laptop and which wifi card? Many, including myself, have had problems using madwifi with Atheros based cards. The method using ndiswrapper wrks great on atheros 5007.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fhantazm View Post
    Which laptop and which wifi card? Many, including myself, have had problems using madwifi with Atheros based cards. The method using ndiswrapper wrks great on atheros 5007.
    Compaq Presario F700 Laptop
    Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g Wifi Adapter

Edit: Looking at your Sig, it looks like we have the same laptop specs. I have a AMD Turion64x2 at 1.9 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB HDD, nVidia 7000m and the Atheros 5007.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you install 32-bit or 64-bit Hardy?

Beans

The 64 bit one. I clicked the mark to get the AMD 64 CD or whatever it is.

Oh and is there a way that I can see my files that I have on my windows partition in my ubuntu part. (I have ubuntu installed inside of windows). I don't want to have to have duplicates of all 5300 songs to play in ubuntu too.
    Last edited by griehl2490; April 25th, 2008 at 08:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

If you would have installed the 32bit, I could walk you through the steps I took to get mine working. However, many people have had issues getting Atheros drivers and 64bit Ubuntu to play nice together. If you decide to install the 32bit version PM me and ill help you along.

EDIT: As far as being able to use windows partitions in Ubuntu, it mounted my NTFS partition right after install. It even put a nice icon on my desk for me. I'd say part of your problems are 64bit driver related. Unless you are dead-set on 64bit, I would suggest going the 32bit route. Youre only running 2gb RAM so for you, theres no major benefit to going 64bit.
    Last edited by fhantazm; April 26th, 2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Apparently I cannot spell.

Beans

If you would have installed the 32bit, I could walk you through the steps I took to get mine working. However, many people have had issues getting Atheros drivers and 64bit Ubuntu to play nice together. If you decide to install the 32bit version PM me and ill help you along.

EDIT: As far as being able to use windows partitions in Ubuntu, it mounted my NTFS partition right after install. It even put a nice icon on my desk for me. I'd say part of your problems are 64bit driver related. Unless you are dead-set on 64bit, I would suggest going the 32bit route. Youre only running 2gb RAM right so for you, theres no major benefit to going 64bit.
    Should I go back and install the 32 bit? I don't really know the difference between them. I'm not computer illiterate or anything. Thats just one of the things I never really understood. But yea. I can go back and install the 32 bit one if necessary.

Beans
    Distro

I would suggest it. But again, thats just my opinion. I have had very little trouble getting it(32bit Hardy) to run on the F700 series. Everything is installed except for the wifi, which is easy enough to do with ndiswrapper.
    Last edited by fhantazm; April 26th, 2008 at 12:18 AM.

Beans

I would suggest it. But again, thats just my opinion. I have had very little trouble getting it(32bit Hardy) to run on the F700 series. Everything is installed except for the wifi, which is easy enough to do with ndiswrapper.
    I'm installing the 32-bit version as I type. So what exactly do I do then to get it working with ndiswrapper once the time comes?

Beans
    Distro

Cool deal. This is what I did and it worked like a charm.

I also PMed you with my yahoo id if you need more help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=749481

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast