Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: STEAM on Linux BETA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: STEAM on Linux BETA

Just got back to find the beta invite, so just checking in, installing it and taking a look. Going to see what issues are out there...

Beans

For me, nothing works.

I made /usr/bin steam %U in terminal and nothing happened.

When I first click on the icon in the launcher, I saw in the running processes steam.sh, but no screen appears.....

But I recall what I did. Upon launching Steam for the first time I've gotten this popup box:Enter your password to update /usr/bin/steam/

Since then, steam doesn't work anymore.

What should I do ? Uninstall steam and install again ?
    Last edited by daaxwizeman; November 21st, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

@oldrocker. Install 32bit libs of Nvidia and ia32libs. A bit of searching and you might have found my old posting:
    -----
    Secondly had to:

error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Or, instead of editing the file ld.so.conf directly, create a file called local.conf in the subdirectory /etc/ld.so.conf.d containing just the line /usr/local/lib. That is,

Contents of /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf:

/usr/lib32

Then run the sudo ldconfig command.
    That worked but hey what year is it? 1998? Probably it would get better by sticking to the LSB...
    ------------
    @daawixeman. probably the best idea. Why do people try to update before they
    even started. Update is fully automatic, from time to time it says updating...
    nothing to do at all.
    Last edited by MikeCyber; November 22nd, 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've just got an invitation for the closed beta! Yeah! It seems that Valve prompts the beta-testers to install experimental drivers. Thanks to Canonical Ubuntu now includes all the proprietary drivers into their official branch. This means that you don't need to install any 3rd party repo any more (like XSwat or Xorg-Edgers).

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/canoni...al-repository/

However AMD still have issues. They should flap their faces once in a while because there are a serious pain in the **** for the most users, especially now with Legacy driver.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Paneas View Post
    I've just got an invitation for the closed beta! Yeah! It seems that Valve prompts the beta-testers to install experimental drivers. Thanks to Canonical Ubuntu now includes all the proprietary drivers into their official branch. This means that you don't need to install any 3rd party repo any more (like XSwat or Xorg-Edgers).

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/canoni...al-repository/

However AMD still have issues. They should flap their faces once in a while because there are a serious pain in the **** for the most users, especially now with Legacy driver.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04
    Still no invite but TF2, Killing Floor + Serious Sam working great (Tried the ATI Beta Catalyst drivers, both 12.11Beta8 and 12.11Beta1 and no luck with Steam, Catalyst 12.10 workign well for me at the moment).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've just installed Serious Sam 3 in Steam Linux and it seems to work great but low performance though. If you want to measure your FPS just open the console and type prf_bShowFPS=1.

Let's see some scaling here. I am using my old PC, which from my experience this is the average Linux PC, since most "ubunteros" don't own a multicore hypthreaded beast or any GTX680.

Lowest settings:

Low settings

Medium settings

High settings

Ultra high settings

Custom (maxed out) settings

the Core2Duo is not going to live score enough with massive CPU usage, thus pick up the low or lowest value. Check the "lowest usage".

definetely you need a quad core here, but only in case you want to see more dead zombies/corpses in the playfield.

Make sure you won't minimize the game while playing because once you get my strange things might happen:
    hxxp://i.imgur.com/1qPsGl.png

Check my video if you want playing SS3 using Core2Duo and GTX465 Ti.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXoZlzqS7Yo
    Tomorrow I will try Serious Sam using my 2500K overclocked up to 5GHz and and old legacy Radeon 4890. Why ? I'm just curious to find out if there is any CPU bottleneck in there. So, what AMD drivers do you advice me to use ?

Cheers
    Last edited by Dr.Paneas; November 23rd, 2012 at 01:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Here is the contents of a desktop file created by steam:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=World of Goo
    GenericName=Steam game
    Comment=Play this game
    Exec=steam steam://rungameid/22000
    Icon=steam_icon_22000
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Game;
    So, if you know the game's id, you just need to call/start steam like this:
    Code:
    steam steam://rungameid/<game's_id>
    Hope that helps.
    If you don't have the desktop file, where can you find the game's id ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kreppnar View Post
    For people having problems running serious sam 3 BFE on 64bit linux, and notice terrible glitching. You should install libpci3 32bit library. It helped out, but also the upgrade to Nvidia's graphics driver to 310.19 helped out alot as well.

to get libpci3 to install just type in your terminal:

sudo apt-get install libpci3:i386

-Kreppnar-

Lubuntu 12.10
    Thank you! This had been bugging me for days. Pity Serious Same still runs at somewhere around 1 FPS >_<

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by daaxwizeman View Post
    If you don't have the desktop file, where can you find the game's id ?
    An easy way to do it is to search with your browser the game on the steam store and then get the id from the url, e.g. the url for World of Goo is
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/22000/

Hope that helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    An easy way to do it is to search with your browser the game on the steam store and then get the id from the url, e.g. the url for World of Goo is
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/22000/

Hope that helps.
    Oh! Thanks for the tip kostkon, that is appreciated.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast