Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

Thanks very much, mc4man! I'm actually running 10.04, so I'm not sure why it wasn't working yesterday, but when I returned to your original instructions again today, they worked beautifully. I came to this thread via a link you gave me on another thread about Banshee. I am VERY grateful for your willingness to provide support for this!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kakaw View Post
    , but when I returned to your original instructions again today, they worked beautifully.
    Glad you got it - that post was orig. just a response to someone using 10.10, and though the method would be valid for 10.04 > 11.10, there are some very small diff's

Just to note them
    For 10.04 the only difference is the git package is named git-core, otherwise the same.

For 11.04 & 11.10 the ppa I'm suggesting hasn't built 11.04 & 11.10 packages, though the 10.10 ones will work fine . So one just needs to edit the ppa source entries to maverick

(maybe he'll add 11.04 and or 11.10 packages, maybe not
    Better yet maybe some day debian/ubunu will move to he 1.9.X ruby as default which will then provide a proper working ruby-gtk

!ATm this is good on 11.10 though that is subject to change!
    And the use of the ppa was for convenience, not the only way by any means, the key source is ruby-gtk which is being built locally

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    When finished
    Code:
    make
    make should end as such

if good then
    Code:
    sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no --default --deldoc  && sudo ldconfig
    After ruby-gtk2 is installed from same prompt

Code:
    cd .. && git clone git://github.com/rubyripperdev/rubyripper.git
    Code:
    cd rubyripper
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cdparanoia eject cd-discid libgettext-ruby-util \
    lame flac vorbis-tools mp3gain vorbisgain normalize-audio
    Blue are quite optional - if normalize-audio is installed then run this or rubyripper will not find
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/normalize-audio /usr/local/bin/normalize
    mc4man, I am trying to follow your installation directions on a fresh 10.10 install so I understand what is going on (I have been able to follow your instructions several times successfully and I'm sure it will be the same this time as well.). I think I get it... first install ruby and then onto ruby ripper... I'm curious though as to where this line comes from:
    Code:
    cd .. && git clone git://github.com/rubyripperdev/rubyripper.git
    . I mean how would I know to use this particular command (the git command) rather than downloading it from code.google.com?

thanks

Beans

I mean how would I know to use this particular command (the git command) rather than downloading it from code.google.com?
    You could do either way, easier for me to post a command than a link to site, download this ect.

The git command also gets the latest vs. from the site's download page which has the latest release (06/10 in this case
    To know the git command one would go here instead of RR downloads page
    http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/wiki/Git?tm=4

(the cd .. part was to move your prompt from the ruby-gtk folder back to the build folder (rubyr or whatever you were using), note that on page they say "cd $HOME", we aren't building in home folder but in a folder for both RR and ruby-gtk

Edit - in this case there hasn't been that much changed since the 0.6 release on 06/09 - see here
    https://github.com/rubyripperdev/rub...commits/master
    Last edited by mc4man; June 15th, 2011 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You could do either way, easier for me to post a command than a link to site, download this ect.

The git command also gets the latest vs. from the site's download page which has the latest release (06/10 in this case
    To know the git command one would go here instead of RR downloads page
    http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/wiki/Git?tm=4

(the cd .. part was to move your prompt from the ruby-gtk folder back to the build folder (rubyr or whatever you were using), note that on page they say "cd $HOME", we aren't building in home folder but in a folder for both RR and ruby-gtk

Edit - in this case there hasn't been that much changed since the 0.6 release on 06/09 - see here
    https://github.com/rubyripperdev/rub...commits/master
    I know I'm going off topic here, but how do apt-get and git differ? PM if you prefer.

Beans

I just installed rubyripper (I assume it was 1.8) and it is ridiculously slow, 100 minutes to rip and 50 minutes CD. Based on forum posts it seems that it is a version issue, but I would like to hear how fast it is when it is working properly, how fast it is expected to rip a 50 minutes CD ?
    Also, any hopes for a "simple" installation of the latest version ? I just don't have the balls to go through the sequence described in post #174. I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 and currently using Asunder and that is amazingly fast, 2 to 3 minutes for a 50 minutes CD, but being an obsessive audiophile I'd like to try rubyripper that supposedly does a "better" ripping.

Thank you, Alex

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amitaru View Post
    I just installed rubyripper (I assume it was 1.8) and it is ridiculously slow, 100 minutes to rip and 50 minutes CD. Based on forum posts it seems that it is a version issue, but I would like to hear how fast it is when it is working properly, how fast it is expected to rip a 50 minutes CD ?
    Also, any hopes for a "simple" installation of the latest version ? I just don't have the balls to go through the sequence described in post #174. I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 and currently using Asunder and that is amazingly fast, 2 to 3 minutes for a 50 minutes CD, but being an obsessive audiophile I'd like to try rubyripper that supposedly does a "better" ripping.

Thank you, Alex
    ripping speeds will be hardware dependant, normally RR is fairly quick (does a 2 pass min as default

There is no solution for the gui until debian/ubuntu upgrades ruby-gtk other than as I described or similar methods

However the cli RR is unaffected, you can setup RR in the gui as far as options, parameters, ect. ect, then do your rips from cli, either interactively or as an auto rip

abcde is also a good ripper - cli only, needs setting up the .conf
    abcde has extensive options, can use cdda2wav (the real one, not icedax), instead of cdparanoia and can also be done interactively or auto

Beans
    Distro

ripping speeds will be hardware dependant, normally RR is fairly quick (does a 2 pass min as default

There is no solution for the gui until debian/ubuntu upgrades ruby-gtk other than as I described or similar methods

However the cli RR is unaffected, you can setup RR in the gui as far as options, parameters, ect. ect, then do your rips from cli, either interactively or as an auto rip

abcde is also a good ripper - cli only, needs setting up the .conf
    abcde has extensive options, can use cdda2wav (the real one, not icedax), instead of cdparanoia and can also be done interactively or auto
    I'm personally not a huge fan of the cdparanoia, but meh, whatever. I'm really not ripping that many music CDs... My main problem is audio books and unless I can find something that approaches the Fraunhoffer IIS codec I've been using for low quality, small size disc-at-once rips, I'm going to have to go back to windows to rip.

At any rate, this took 18 minutes with two passes (you'll have to check, but I count ca. 53 minutes):
    Artist : Jimi Hendrix
    Album: Band of Gypsys Live at the Fillmore East (Disc 2)

RIPPING SUMMARY

All chunks were tried to match at least 2 times.
    None of the tracks gave any problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@mc4man
    Hi
    I followed the how-to in post # 174
    Spot-on instructions.
    RubyRipper's up and running.
    (Lucid 10.04)

Thanks.

PS
    On the humbug/pratikmsinha website, he's added another instruction.

Because of a bug in aptitude/python-software-properties, another small change will be required. Executed the following commands...
    Here:- http://www.humbug.in/2010/launchpad-...ruby-bindings/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    RubyRipper's up and running.
    (Lucid 10.04)

Thanks.
    I just did it on 11.10, still a decent way, You'd think one of these days they'll update ruby, ruby-gtk, they haven't been since 10.04

I guess you moved to 10.04?
    (I know of a very interesting ppa for lucid if you want to take a glance sometime - sorta a quasi- rolling though I think dev on it has slowed down a lot - could have some value as a 'pick and choose', then disable

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast