Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible major breakage with nVida after updates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Possible major breakage with nVida after updates

Got same card here as well , I actually booted the nvidia install yesterday, got updates for it (not been in it for a while), working fine earlier today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I thought I had a similar problem after the latest kernel update, my system was running just plain weirdly. It looked like it was a graphics driver problem, but when I did get it to boot, it would run fine until it timed out and went into lock mode. The hard drive light was on constantly, and the cpu and graphics adapter fans were running at full bore.

I finally tracked it down to one of the data cables had worked loose from one of the hard drives, after re-seating the plugs, things are back to normal. I have the same GeForce 210/GT218 as ventrical and I'm running the default nvidia 331.38 drivers from the repositories.
    Actually , after looking in the repositories, none of the nVidia drivers are installed nor is (was) the nouveau driver installed.

Best I can do to verifiy this is reinstall the card, go to terminal from GRuB Recovery Option and install the drivers from there, although the Intel driver is working much better now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Got same card here as well , I actually booted the nvidia install yesterday, got updates for it (not been in it for a while), working fine earlier today.
    Thanks Elfy .. just realized that no nVidia drivers are installed.

Beans
    Distro

After trying both nvidia and nouveau drivers I only get some screen version of llvmpipe as it cannot sync with the monitor (nvidia).

However I do not blame ubuntu install as this was a swap out from another PC so I could only file a bug if I did a fresh install on this PC with the nVidia graphics adapter card installed during the installation process. I know from past experience that Ubuntu is very versatile with jockying card swaps but sometimes with some machines this is not always the case and a fresh install is needed to report a proper testing result.

Beans
    Distro

On the particular machine in question I have two (2) installs of Trusty i386. On the second install (which has not been updated for a while) nouveau is working just swell so there must have been something borked during the last update (on the prior install). I will now update/upgrade this install on the same system and see what gives.

edit :
    btw .. this current was orignally a xubuntu install with Ubuntu Unity desktop installed.

Code:
     *-display
                    description: VGA compatible controller
                    product: GT218 [GeForce 210]
                    vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                    version: a2
                    width: 64 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                    configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
                    resources: irq:49 memory:92000000-92ffffff memory:80000000-8fffffff memory:90000000-91ffffff ioport:2000(size=128) memory:93080000-930fffff
               *-multimedia
    Last edited by ventrical; February 10th, 2014 at 04:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

update/upgraded and nouveau works well. One caveat though. The update/upgrade actually knocked out lightdm unity greeter and replaced it with gdm!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

replaced it with gdm!
    did it boot, if it did woohoo - earlier in the cycle I got hit with this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1267442

Beans
    Distro

wow ! .. Thanks for that link. I may be able to fix the first installation. As for this one with the switched lightdm to gdm .. I just booted it , using it now and it works exceptionally, but this one is using nouveau.

Beans
    Distro

ok.. In /lightdm/lightdm.conf.d I only have the file 10-unity-system-compositor.conf which contains:

[CODE]
    [SeatDefaults]
    type=unity;xlocal
    unity-compositor-command=unity-system-compositor.sleep
    [CODE]

@elfy
    so I do not see where I can apply some of the suggestions here from your bug report

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@elfy
    so I do not see where I can apply some of the suggestions here from your bug report
    It wasn't really intended to - I'm sure since then there's been some changes in lightdm that make it all 'too old'

Or at least that's how it's appeared the few times I've looked at those files since then. To be honest I don't do much more in this sub-forum than look for the 1% of threads that aren't Ubuntu related - the majority don't interest me too much. Sometimes I might comment in a non-something other than Ubuntu thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast