Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installer needs major upgrade !

Beans

Exclamation Installer needs major upgrade !

Why does Ubuntu not use the beautiful installer fedora 19 uses

I tried fedora 19 yesterday and my jaw dropped its amazing . Ubuntu should really really look into the installer it is very professional looking and for once does not look / feel cheap.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Installer needs major upgrade !

beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
    I think ubuntu (kubuntu for me) has a beautiful installer and it does exactly what i need it to do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmandt View Post
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
    I think ubuntu (kubuntu for me) has a beautiful installer and it does exactly what i need it to do.
    +1 !

To go a bit further ............ w/o more specific details regarding what did or didn't work we're clueless about how to reproduce any problem you encountered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does this belong in +1?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    does this belong in +1?
    no.

Hey, you, get off of my cloud. (Rolling Stones)
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Time for a coffee!

Thread moved to The Cafe.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Haven't tried Fedora 19 yet, but Fedora 18's installer is a bloody mess. If Ubuntu is to make a new installer I suppose there will be lots of complaints that it messes up something in an interim release just like F18.
    Having said that I do think they should clean up some bugs in the installer, which seems to have been around for several releases like hanging or being very slow in the beginning, which has nothing to do with UEFI. I would consider not being able to run the installer properly a show stopper bug.

Beans

Who cares what the installer looks like as long as it's functional and easy enough to understand?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

fishboyfive: thanks for the kind words, but I'm not sure Ubuntu would be best served by Fedora's installer necessarily It's certainly not a straightforward thing to simply transfer an installer from one distro to another, either.

Ubuntu's installer and Fedora's are pretty different in approach and functionality. Ubuntu's is fairly limited in functionality in comparison to Fedora's, but this allows it to be rather a lot simpler. Both approaches work quite well for their target audiences. Ubuntu's is a wizard-style installer which aims to provide just enough configurability to allow all Ubuntu target users to get a basic Ubuntu install deployed interactively. Fedora's is a giant whizzy spinning thing that can run attended or unattended, install from about sixty-three different types of remote repository, install to iSCSI, multipath and other exotic storage devices, and probably make you a cup of tea if you only get the parameters right; but the level of complexity inevitably renders the UI somewhat more complex and means we have more bugs to deal with. I think Ubuntu's pretty well-served by its current installer and wouldn't gain an awful lot from using Fedora's instead, given Ubuntu's target audience, and Fedora similarly would not be well-served by Ubuntu's installer as it would be too limited in functionality.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FishboyFive View Post
    Ubuntu should really really look into the installer it is very professional looking and for once does not look / feel cheap.
    The Ubuntu Installer Team welcomes your code and animation contributions. It's only as good as we contribute.

+1 to AdamWill's excellent comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast