Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything Like Arch but With Less Reliance on AUR?

Beans

Anything Like Arch but With Less Reliance on AUR?

I love arch but I find myself having to use the AUR too often. Is there something like arch but with stuff like dropbox and chrome in the default reposs?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Re: Anything Like Arch but With Less Reliance on AUR?

AUR is one of the things that makes Arch great. Instead of tracking a gazillion PPA's you have one source. What's wrong with using AUR? Installing any packages be it in the repos or AUR is as simple as a yaourt -S <package_name>

I use Manjaro which is based on Arch, they have a few extra packages in their repos but not much more.

Beans

Since both Dropbox and Chrome are proprietary, I doubt you'll find a free distro that have both in its default repositories.

Beans

Having to hit yes a million times when updating and typos or missing stuff from pkgbuilds occasionaly. It's just a minor annoyance. With ppas you usually don't have to worry about that because it's already compiled and ready to go and includes everything you may need that isn't in default repos.
    Last edited by mamamia88; March 27th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Then use a ubuntu based distro if you prefer the PPA way.

Beans

Try Fedora! It's like Arch, but without the AUR.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Try Fedora! It's like Arch, but without the AUR.
    What makes fedora like arch besides modernity of packages. Is the documentation as detailed as the arch wiki? How hard is upgrading between releases. Is going between releases reliable. Is there a system like ppas/aur for stuff not in the repos?

Beans

Documentation? Yes it exists. There is a large Fedora community, a Forum, and lots of tutorials on getting things installed, but it's scattered and requires googlling. As for upgrading, No, Fedora can't do that. Every time a new version of Fedora is released, you will have to reinstall. But they only release once a year so that isn't a huge issue for many. Also not Fedora is sorta Semi-Rolling each release updating some programs and core components when they come out, but the mojority stays the same version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Documentation? Yes it exists. There is a large Fedora community, a Forum, and lots of tutorials on getting things installed, but it's scattered and requires googlling. As for upgrading, No, Fedora can't do that. Every time a new version of Fedora is released, you will have to reinstall. But they only release once a year so that isn't a huge issue for many. Also not Fedora is sorta Semi-Rolling each release updating some programs and core components when they come out, but the mojority stays the same version.
    I'm sure there is documentation come to think of it i'm sure alot of the arch documentation would apply to any distro so it's not really that big of a deal. The upgrading think is kind of a big deal for me. Also checked out one of my programs gpodder and it's stuck on 2.2 it seems in fedora where it's 3.5 elsewhere. Probably just stick with arch for awhile. I want to try freebsd and opensuse eventually. Is free bsd worth installing or is it too big of a pain to use as a desktop?

Beans
    Hidden!

Eh, you only mentioned a few packages. If yourentire build depends strictly on AUR packages, I think chances are you're running proprietary apps, in which case Ubuntu's your go-to distro since it has the best support for them. Is there a specific problem you're having with AUR packages, or yaourt? There are other AUR helpers out there if youart isn't suiting your needs. By the way, you can update your system, including AUR pacakges and official repository packages with a simple "yaourt -Syua"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast