Thread: Touch Screen / Tablet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Touch Screen / Tablet

I have read through the installation instructions from here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

and the section on troubleshooting the install makes me laugh. It says this:

If none of that works, ask a question on Ask Ubuntu
    Logical? If you are one of the few people installing this on a Nexus 7 then who in the world knows anything at all that will help you?

so, I someone asks on this forum for help with this, you know where I am going to direct them.

For suggestions as regards hardware, see this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

While mid-range phones can deliver a perfect Android experience, it takes high-end horsepower to drive a phone and a desktop at the same time. Newer multi-core processors are up to the job, and Ubuntu is the killer app for that hot hardware. It’s the must-have feature for late-2012 high-end Android phones.
    It like they used to say about computers, the best one to buy is the one that comes out six months after you have brought the latest one.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 10th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

While mid-range phones can deliver a perfect Android experience, it takes high-end horsepower to drive a phone and a desktop at the same time. Newer multi-core processors are up to the job, and Ubuntu is the killer app for that hot hardware. It’s the must-have feature for late-2012 high-end Android phones.
    ?

I've got a dual core 1.6 gHz pc running ubuntu quantal or precise or raring or ...

I've got a dual core 1.0 gHz tablet running Android, slower hardware.

Android absolutely blows away ubuntu on internet.

Anything which is output oriented on Android is blazes faster than the same thing on ubuntu.

Now input is a whole different matter. Even though I've a keyboard on the Android, pc clearly much better.

Managing disk space, jpg's, office, etc. ubuntu I can do fine mostly. Don't know how to do with Android.

Do note I've got wireless WPA which works fine on precise but quantal and rafing prefer disconnect to connect. On every boot. NM stumbles and stutters and freezes up. Bug written. Android no problem at all. Set up once and totally transparent boot up fast! internet on instantly.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; November 11th, 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Or the means to do actual work?
    I see this phrase a lot here.

What is the definition of 'actual work' on Ubuntu Forums?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post

For me its the ability to do graphic design, not anything to do with CLI stuff. I looked at Windows 8 recently and can see where Ubuntu is taking Unity... So be it!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

It's the value of the environment variable $OCCUPATION_OF_USER_WHO_DOES_NOT_LIKE_TOUCHSCREENS .

Seriously though, it just seems to mean that tablets can't do textual/mouse input as well as desktops/laptops. While this is true, wiring up a keyboard to a tablet is IMO quite productive.

Beans

I have a mouse and keyboard set up too my tablet, psted a few times in the mobile forum here. Works wonderfully well for office work on a tablet.

On graphics design, its nowhere near its desktop counterpart yet, but sketchbook mobile has come on leaps and bounds (autocad makers)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    It's the value of the environment variable $OCCUPATION_OF_USER_WHO_DOES_NOT_LIKE_TOUCHSCREENS .

Seriously though, it just seems to mean that tablets can't do textual/mouse input as well as desktops/laptops. While this is true, wiring up a keyboard to a tablet is IMO quite productive.
    Yeh, I waited on my Asus Transformer 101 until the "refurb" keyboard got down to $75. The tablet plugs into the keyboard. Claimed 16 hour battery life. However.....sure is heavy with the keyboard attached, not a problem on the desk top. Or dining room table top.

When there's good reports on the Nexus 7 ubuntu (and I have un-used $200 laying around) I might try that. Better yet would be someone figuring out how to put ubuntu onto my Asus 101 since I've already got that. Fat chance.

Beans
    Distro

For me, I"m retired, family emails, letters to the editor, researching and saving health articles with graphics (I'm 77, exercise regularly, no meds, weight spot on), campaign and canvassing (I can't just scream at the TV, we do get up and go out and o something), fussing around with IRA investments and quarterly income tax, BBC news, Sydney Morning Herald (our son lives in Australia) on and on. Health stuff shows up on NEJM, Johns Hopkins, NYTimes, WebMD, medline plus, BBC, Australia ABC, all over the place. Who to believe, who not to, and I do send comments to the authors.

I'll try to do this stuff on the unstable ubuntu when it works. Just today I got a PDF on some medical test results which crashes raring document viewer, tried ubuntu-bug, that crashed, so I'll crank up 12.04.1 LTS.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; November 12th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12