Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Actually the new Apple's are supposed to support internet re-installs from EFI. Many would argue I'm nuts, but I actually think this is safer (assuming you can't somehow bork that part of the firmware). This way, any reinstall automatically has all the latest security patches....
    I can confirm that it reinstalls beautifully from the net. I was overconfident that Ubuntu would run with no problems, so when, in the process of resizing the Mac Os partition with diskutil to install linux destroyed the recovery partition I did not give it a though. But in the end with so many attempts I ended up messing the osx partition. I though I had a very good looking brick, but then recovery from the net through EFI worked great albeit a bit slow....

I still have a brick for now, one that runs only osx but well I know the issue will get resolved eventually...

Quote Originally Posted by daveMustane View Post
    Yes, I really, badly dislike their attitude. But mainly because, for some reason, they seem to dislike me (and you).
    One very simple reason apple is succesful is because they stick to the concept of " Minimalism " in their industrial designs. I'm sure there are other reasons as well but I want to stick to ONLY one for now.

As far as the industrial design's concern, this guy is their main brain ... " Jonathan Ive "

I JUST don't know why no one else ever took this idea seriously but only few companies. If we had like 10 to 15 more companies using the same concept, apple would have backed of a little bit ! They are arrogant because they are the ONLY one who uses this concept seriously in their industrial designs . They even used it on their operating system - the way it looks and operates. ( Google ) also uses the SAME concept - people LOVE it when they see just a plain SIMPLE page SAYS GOOGLE - NO ADS, NO DISTRACTION - where the work is stripped down to its most fundamental features. People are SICK and tired of distractions in this century ! they are bombarded with information ! That is why most of them " unconsciously " LOVE the concept of Minimalism. That is why they get hypnotized when they see apple products without EVEN knowing WHY.

The ONLY small company AS FAR AS I KNOW tried to took the same idea seriously WAS " Voodoopc" ! but unfortunately """ HP """ took over and DESTROYED them totally ! I have attached " Envy 133 " picture. See HOW they used Minimalism in their industrial designs and HOW BEAUTIFUL THAT IS ! EVEN if the hardware specifications are lousy, you still WANT IT unconsciously ! that is the power of Minimalism in this century.

Think about it

Yours,
    Elmo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - I ONLY HOPE ! Where there is a shell, there is a way -

Seems ... they gave up on the driver BUG fix .

Joshua Dillon 2011-08-29 07:52:00 PDT Its been a month with no updates. Any way we can get a picture of where things are at? Is it realistic to hope for a bugfix on this in the near-term or will this one persist? Cheers, Josh

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39533

This is nonsense ! fixing that bug is not a not a rocket science !
    I am Still using Mac OS and might sell my MacbookAir soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post

Joshua Dillon 2011-08-29 07:52:00 PDT Its been a month with no updates. Any way we can get a picture of where things are at? Is it realistic to hope for a bugfix on this in the near-term or will this one persist? Cheers, Josh

Yeah; me too.

Sorry, posted twice ! mistake .

Beans

So since it looks like a fix may come along slowly, I am now using VirtualBox and I am *very* happy with this setup.
    What model Macbook Air do you have? I have the 13"/i7/256G and with virtualbox ran into some serious issues when putting the machine to sleep and waking it up. The laptop would completely freeze and I'd have to force it to power down and reboot.

I've since switched to Parallels and it's been great. Super stable for over a couple of weeks now.

In case anyone wonders, I also tried vmware fusion, but it didn't support 3D, therefore no Unity support, so I switched to Parallels.

My virtualbox issues are likely due to this i7 bug:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8474

Also note, interestingly, I have run a Windows XP image on virtual box and have not run into an issue. That said, I barely fire up that VM, so it may just be luck.

Beans

I've been way out of the loop in this thread, but the following update on another thread seems to show some success:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=29

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

@berto I have the 4,2/i5/128 so I guess that explains why it worked for me. Glad to hear you figured out something though. If you can, would you share the specifics of how you set it up?

Beans

@berto If you can, would you share the specifics of how you set it up?
    I didn't do anything too special. Parallels pretty much took care of the entire setup. Settings-wise, I used 128MB for video, 1280MB of RAM, a 64G "expanding disk" image, and a shared network connection. I found the VM runs well with 1280MB of RAM, it gives OS X enough RAM to do what it needs to do, and leaves enough wiggle room to launch a browser in OS X if needed.

The only potential tweak I did was a plist patch to get USB working. Though, I'm not sure if another VM was conflicting with the USB device or if it was a Parallels issue.

More general details of my experience are here.

Folks ...

MUST SEE ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aLwB...eature=related

ALSO see TOP rated comment =D>

I must say, it looks solid and nice ! Maybe, we should all just sell our MacbookAirs and get one of those ...

What do you think ? Lets do it !

Page 16 of 92 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast