Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service Contract

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Service Contract

I was just about to lazily click the terms and agreements contract link;
    I Agree: I have read the Service Agreement and agree to its terms and conditions.,
    when I realised that there was I portion of the agreement that might interest me. Would anybody care to help me interpret the portion listed below ? I am an Aussie BTW, and as such am bound by Aussie laws.

3. OWNERSHIP

The website and all intellectual property rights related to the website, including but not limited to copyrights, trademarks, service marks and any feedback left by users on the website, are owned or licensed by xxxxxxxxxx, and all right, title and interest in the website and the related intellectual property rights remain the property of xxxxxxxxxx. You may not reproduce, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify or create derivative works with respect to the website or any related intellectual property, including any services provided via the xxxxxxxxxx website.

I guess my main interest would be that, if I was to say, successfully sell some freelance writing jobs, which might mean posting said writings to their site, would I lose some portion of the ownership of these writings. As it states in the contract, and any feedback left by users on the website. What sort constitutes feedback ? My response to a prospective customer ? Who might want a preview before making up his mind ? Am I just being paranoid ? Orwellian fear supplanting reason ?

thanks, Cascade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Service Contract

I'd use an alternate form of contact for those types of things (AIM, MSN, etc...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

That's good, excepting I do not use AIM or MSN, or GAIM or ICQ et al. I've never gotten the hang of using that type of software.

Thanks, Cascade

BTW, no need for any OT posts, thanks anyways . . . would just like a few ppls thoughts on this service contract thing. If I don't get any replies, no problem, plenty of ways to skin an apple (or whatever that saying is . . .) ;-)
    Cascade . . .

Beans
    Distro

To sum your question up...

"main interest would be that, if I was to say, successfully sell some freelance writing jobs, which might mean posting said writings to their site, would I lose some portion of the ownership of these writings."

Yes, if its on the site its somewhat Ubuntu's/the ubuntu communities.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks, r00 . . .

That's what I was sort of trying to get at. BTW, I wasn't actually referring to any Ubuntu sites, this I got from a freelance journalism type site, where a writers wares get matched with buyers.

Cascade
    Cascade . . .

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, then beware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok . . . one more question while I am here . . . do you have any suggestions as to where I maybe should have posted this question ?
    Cascade . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

As usual, when you post something to a website someone else owns, owner decides the rules.

If you want to post and retain ownership, get own website. pbwiki.com allows you to have own wiki and IIRC you retain ownership - and post links to your own pages.

Like I have here: http://learnPython.pbwiki.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

It's a good question, though I'm responding to find out
    more about your avatar. There was a music group in the
    U.S. popular a few years back called the Alan Parsons Project
    and they had a similar logo with their album Eye in
    the Sky
    . Is there a story behind it in Australia

I shun red tape myself, but often legal boundaries in new
    and gray areas have some basis in conventional wisdom.
    Postings on the Internet generally fall under public domain
    guidelines, but the website owner(s) has/have some editorial
    responsibilities because they are essentially broadcasters.
    To allow participants some flexibility, there are the usual
    disclaimers you find with editorial/advertising announcements
    found in TV broadcasting. Remember, you retain abilities
    to edit your remarks too, and you are acknowledged
    to the degree you allow yourself to be as the author.
    Myself, I think your caution level is appropriate, and
    when these matters of question come up, the parties
    should check with each other courteously

Quote Originally Posted by cascader View Post
    I was just about to lazily click the terms and agreements contract link;
    I Agree: I have read the Service Agreement and agree to its terms and conditions.,
    when I realised that there was I portion of the agreement that might interest me. Would anybody care to help me interpret the portion listed below ? I am an Aussie BTW, and as such am bound by Aussie laws.

3. OWNERSHIP

The website and all intellectual property rights related to the website, including but not limited to copyrights, trademarks, service marks and any feedback left by users on the website, are owned or licensed by xxxxxxxxxx, and all right, title and interest in the website and the related intellectual property rights remain the property of xxxxxxxxxx. You may not reproduce, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify or create derivative works with respect to the website or any related intellectual property, including any services provided via the xxxxxxxxxx website.

I guess my main interest would be that, if I was to say, successfully sell some freelance writing jobs, which might mean posting said writings to their site, would I lose some portion of the ownership of these writings. As it states in the contract, and any feedback left by users on the website. What sort constitutes feedback ? My response to a prospective customer ? Who might want a preview before making up his mind ? Am I just being paranoid ? Orwellian fear supplanting reason ?

thanks, Cascade
    Last edited by gus sett; April 8th, 2007 at 02:54 PM.

.com =D> position

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok, thanks for the feedback gus . . . that's some good feedback you're giving me there, appreciated . . . the avatar I'm afraid is a bit of an arbitrary choice, altho The Alan Parsons Project were a big hit here as well with this album way back in the 80s I think, might have even been the 70s . . . I'll have to check it out, make sure I'm not breaching any copyrights (he he).

And thanks, pmasiar, that's a nice looking site you have going there, might inspire me toward giving python a go, heard nothing but good feedback about it. Also, as stated, I like the way the general site design, HTML is something I like creating in, good to see a well designed (uncluttered) site.

Can't work out why my OS comes up as "Edubuntu" on the side of my posts, I'm just using plain old vanilla Edgy . . .
    Cascade . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast