Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimjams View Post
    Hi Xingmu and anybody else interested, as promised in my earlier post I've added a draft guide for setting up a kerrighed 2.3.0 cluster in Ubuntu 8.04 on the Easy Ubuntu Clustering Wiki. Here is the link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyUbuntuCl...edClusterGuide

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or improvements let me know.
    Hello, bigjimjams.

Thanks for your excellent installation guide!

I've done more or less the same installation, but I've not documented it quite so well

One difference is that I use UNFS3 with 'ClusterNFS' extensions enabled for the NFSROOT. This allows all the nodes to share the same NFSROOT filesystem read-only, with 'tagged' links into a writable area for node-specific files.

Bye,

Tony.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi Xingmu and anybody else interested, as promised in my earlier post I've added a draft guide for setting up a kerrighed 2.3.0 cluster in Ubuntu 8.04 on the Easy Ubuntu Clustering Wiki. Here is the link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyUbuntuCl...edClusterGuide

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or improvements let me know.
    Thanks bigjimjams! I actually got the cluster up and running right after I saw your note about the "no running cluster" bug in krgadm. I ended using a package DRBL which configures the dhcp-server, tftp, etc. automatically. I am thinking it might be useful to add this to your tutorial as an alternative installation method.

On another note and somewhat off-topic, has anyone tried installing Kerrighed straight from the SVN? I see that above-mentioned bug has already been fixed in the SVN. I am also having troubles with processes not migrating to multi-core CPUs. I am hoping newer revisions might have fixed these problems. If so, are there any suggested revision numbers to use? Or is every revision supposed to be a working version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by ajt View Post
    Hello, bigjimjams.

Thanks for your excellent installation guide!

I've done more or less the same installation, but I've not documented it quite so well

One difference is that I use UNFS3 with 'ClusterNFS' extensions enabled for the NFSROOT. This allows all the nodes to share the same NFSROOT filesystem read-only, with 'tagged' links into a writable area for node-specific files.

Bye,

Tony.
    No problem Tony, happy to help out! I was creating the guide for documenting it at work anyway, so thought I'd share what I'd done to save other people having to search around the web like I did. Thanks for the tip about UNFS. I'll have a look at it, as it may be useful when we build our larger Kerrighed cluster in a couple of weeks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xingmu View Post
    Thanks bigjimjams! I actually got the cluster up and running right after I saw your note about the "no running cluster" bug in krgadm. I ended using a package DRBL which configures the dhcp-server, tftp, etc. automatically. I am thinking it might be useful to add this to your tutorial as an alternative installation method.

On another note and somewhat off-topic, has anyone tried installing Kerrighed straight from the SVN? I see that above-mentioned bug has already been fixed in the SVN. I am also having troubles with processes not migrating to multi-core CPUs. I am hoping newer revisions might have fixed these problems. If so, are there any suggested revision numbers to use? Or is every revision supposed to be a working version?
    Hi xingmu, I did see the DRBL option on the Kerrighed documentation webpage, but preferred to do it by hand on a first attempt. I agree that it might be useful to maybe add this as an alternative option. Are there any other benefits or drawbacks?

I'm planning on using the SVN version of kerrighed in a couple of weeks, as mentioned in my previous post. So I can let you know how it goes then if you haven't beaten me to it! I think they've fixed a number bugs since 2.3, from looking at the responses on the mailing list.

As for you multi-core cpu problem, that seems quite strange, as I did plug an intel quad into my kerrighed test cluster and it worked fine with process migration. Was it using a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

a

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi xingmu, I did see the DRBL option on the Kerrighed documentation webpage, but preferred to do it by hand on a first attempt. I agree that it might be useful to maybe add this as an alternative option. Are there any other benefits or drawbacks?

I'm planning on using the SVN version of kerrighed in a couple of weeks, as mentioned in my previous post. So I can let you know how it goes then if you haven't beaten me to it! I think they've fixed a number bugs since 2.3, from looking at the responses on the mailing list.

As for you multi-core cpu problem, that seems quite strange, as I did plug an intel quad into my kerrighed test cluster and it worked fine with process migration. Was it using a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?
    Ok, I've tried some of the SVN revisions now. I can confirm that r4762 and r5069 (latest) are working versions. They have "sort of" fixed the cluster status bug. I say "sort of" because krgadm cluster status outputs "0:1". My session_id is 1, but I can't understand what the "0" means (nb_min?). My node_id's are from 1 to 3, so 0 is not a node_id.
    Also, auto-migration in the newer revisions doesn't work without setting up a scheduler (http://www.kerrighed.org/wiki/index.php/SchedConfig). I got that part figured out, but I *still* cannot get processes to properly use my dual-core CPUs. I am wondering if there are options I need to change when building the kernel?

BTW, I am using a 32-bit kernel, although the chips are 64-bit Xeon's.

Beans

No problem Tony, happy to help out! I was creating the guide for documenting it at work anyway, so thought I'd share what I'd done to save other people having to search around the web like I did. Thanks for the tip about UNFS. I'll have a look at it, as it may be useful when we build our larger Kerrighed cluster in a couple of weeks.
    Hello, bigjimjams.

The '3' in UNFS3 means NFS version 3, so you have to be tell the Kerrighed kernel to look for an NFSROOT on using the NFSv3 protocol because the default is NFSv2. This is how I do it:

Code:
    default linux
    label linux
            kernel vmlinuz-kerrighed
            append root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp nfsroot=192.168.0.254:/NFSROOT,v3 node_id=65 session_id=1
    Bye,

Tony.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xingmu View Post
    Ok, I've tried some of the SVN revisions now. I can confirm that r4762 and r5069 (latest) are working versions. They have "sort of" fixed the cluster status bug. I say "sort of" because krgadm cluster status outputs "0:1". My session_id is 1, but I can't understand what the "0" means (nb_min?). My node_id's are from 1 to 3, so 0 is not a node_id.
    Also, auto-migration in the newer revisions doesn't work without setting up a scheduler (http://www.kerrighed.org/wiki/index.php/SchedConfig). I got that part figured out, but I *still* cannot get processes to properly use my dual-core CPUs. I am wondering if there are options I need to change when building the kernel?

BTW, I am using a 32-bit kernel, although the chips are 64-bit Xeon's.
    Hi xingmu, the "0" in "0:1" is normally the node id, as far as I know the manual assignment of node id's in 2.3 was broken and the node id's were automatically assigned from the ip address of each node, so for example a node with ip address 192.168.1.0 would automatically be assigned node id 0.

As I mentioned earlier, I used the 32-bit kernel on a intel Q6600 with the other nodes being AthlonXPs and it seemed to work fine with the process migration stuff, as all cores hit 100% usage. Therefore, I'm guessing its something to do with the kernel settings.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajt View Post
    Hello, bigjimjams.

The '3' in UNFS3 means NFS version 3, so you have to be tell the Kerrighed kernel to look for an NFSROOT on using the NFSv3 protocol because the default is NFSv2. This is how I do it:

Code:
    default linux
    label linux
            kernel vmlinuz-kerrighed
            append root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp nfsroot=192.168.0.254:/NFSROOT,v3 node_id=65 session_id=1
    Bye,

Tony.
    Thanks Tony, I guessed it was to do with NFS version 3, but the code snippet helps.

Beans

Hi BigJimJams,

Thanks for the great guide!

I did notice a few problems with the guide however...:

- The guide doesn't show how to set up /etc/network/interfaces on the server

- In /etc/default/dhcp3-server your missing a semi-colon at the end of the third to last line

- In /etc/default/tftpd-hpa RUN_DAEMON should equal "yes" (all lowercase), mine was yelling at me without this (I was using debian so maybe that's why).

Just as a side note, I was having trouble at the tftp stage. DHCP assigned an IP address ok, but I recieved the "PXE-E32" error. This only happened on two of the three computers I was using.
    So as this source (http://www.mail-archive.com/ltsp-dis.../msg32044.html) suggests I tried booting from a pxe cd. I used GPXE.
    I went to their website (http://kernel.org/pub/software/utils/boot/gpxe/) and downloaded the latest version. Then I untarred it (tar -xzf gpxe-*), then I changed directories into the new folder (cd gpxe-*).
    Then I changed directory into src (cd src) then ran "make bin/gpxe.iso" Then the iso was in "bin/gpxe.iso". I was able to boot from this which resolved the problem.

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast