View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 885 of 952 FirstFirst ... 385785835875883884885886887895935 ... LastLast
Results 8,841 to 8,850 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Why is linux so user UNfriendly?

Quote Originally Posted by uputer View Post
    I never said there aren't lots of people who don't know how to re-install XP. But, there are many websites that explain how. I know a guy from work who didn't know how to re-install his ******* computer. Another co-worker knew and did it for him. I think I am the only one there that has used Linux.

From a newbie's P.O.V.:
    When you need to re-install Linux, you have to do the same web search and find the specific installation to your particular distro. For XP, it is all the same and for pure volume or numbers of users, it's a lot so there are going to be many sites with examples and explanations. In comparison, I don't see how XP will be that much more difficult to re-install. Even from a total newbie or computer illiterate person.

For the previous poster, I am not trolling. Why do you care if I am being critical? I'm just explaining the facts. I want to be proficient at Linux as I think it can be a superior system overall and it's free. I'm not hiding or making excuses, though. I find it very difficult when you need to tweak. I'm trying to become more accustomed to the command line and not do GUI stuff all the time.
    There's a lot you can do through the GUI, and there are more GUI front-ends all the time. The day is coming when command line will be all but unnecessary. But even XP has things that must be done from the CLI. And it's just as easy to run chkdsk from there as anywhere.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    you didn't have the -dev packages.

Please, don't blame the whole of Linux just because you wanted to install source packages for no reason, you should be using synaptic or choosing the binary package, you are not a developer, you shouldn't expect to be able to install a source package, or at least you shouldn't expect source packages to be helluva easy for you to install. If there was only a source package then it was probably a test version or a not well polished program, things that a newbie shouldn't be using anyways.

Apps in windows get unfriendly to install as well, ever heard of windows installer errors? I once had an error message "Windows installer error 1405" that halted the installation, perhaps it was another random number I don't remember and not 1405 but yep, some random windows application out there can get even harder to install than a source package. How do you fix those? Oh yes, you go to microsoft and complaint for making the whole windows so user UNfriendly...
    This kind of stuff isn't particularly easy in Windows either. All of us at some time or another has gotten an error message about not finding a dll file. But it seems easier to fix stuff like that ourselves just because we've been solving those kinds of problems for 16+ years, going back to at least Windows 3.0 or so. Ever try to use Windows 1.0 or 2.0? I think not. Those people are few and far between. I sure didn't. I was on a Mac!

I can't believe what this is about. Get real!

DJ

PS Sorry, couldn't rest the bad joke.
    Last edited by djchandler; September 9th, 2007 at 03:35 AM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not to sound like mean or anything, but my mom uses linux at her house and she is one of those people who can never do command line or install, but Fedora 6 is very stable so it works. My little bro (aged 11) can do all tech support. When I come over i see him solving dependencies(amongst swearing "what the heck is GTK?!). Linux just takes more.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by djchandler View Post
    This kind of stuff isn't particularly easy in Windows either. All of us at some time or another has gotten an error message about not finding a dll file. But it seems easier to fix stuff like that ourselves just because we've been solving those kinds of problems for 16+ years, going back to at least Windows 3.0 or so. Ever try to use Windows 1.0 or 2.0? I think not. Those people are few and far between. I sure didn't. I was on a Mac!

I can't believe what this is about. Get real!

DJ

PS Sorry, couldn't rest the bad joke.
    Linux user 10 years.
    I used Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.1, Workgroups, 386, 486, NT, and of course DOS.
    I've also used Mac OS 7, 8, 9, 10.1/2/3/4 and I've used a developer version of 10.5

They all have their downfalls
    Linux can have missing dependencies
    Windows has DLL Hell
    Mac's Darwin Kernel can corrupt upon a Delta or Combo update, causing a Kernel Panic, and forcing a reinstall (Mac is still my fav)

They all develop, they all have problems, nothing is perfect.

Beans

Re: No chance

i thought it was obvious that the linux developers were working really hard on a text editor for emacs! ..

idk what they are really working on... maybe it is gimp 2.4? kde 4? openoffice 2.3? just to name a few well known projects.

Beans

changed to Fedora

After 47 reboots in last 10 hours due to hanging ubuntu (newly installed), I decided to install fedora. It is difficult to say what is the reason for unstablity; sometimes it happend in SW update, most of the time without visible reason.

Win XP used to run in this same machine without problems for couple years. Ther reason the change to Linux was, that my PC (Lenovo) dealer in Beijing installed me pirate copy of XP and obviously it is not good behaviour (felt guilty all the time; and I cannot get security update anymore.

I was dreaming to decrease my "IT manager" work using "state of art" Linux instead of WinXP but opposite happened: computer is super-unstablie. WLAN does not find my basestation (all other devices find it without problems including my other XP (legal), MAC, Nokia 9300i and Nokia N75). Only Ubuntu have no idea of it.

Yes. I don't fix my cars anymore either, so priority is not to look under the hood anymore; including home computers.

I have to admit that Fedora has not started very well but it is stabile, not need for reboot if e.g. SW package is not downloading fast enough.

For you entertainment I list my favourity Operation systems: WinXP (realiable and stabile), MAC OS X (more fine tuning required but almost as stabile as Windows), and Symbian 60 (the best OS for mobile devices). Linux is not yet in the list; and Vista will stay away from my computers!

- good night!
    - Jouni

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

merged

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: changed to Fedora

Quote Originally Posted by jouniP View Post
    After 47 reboots in last 10 hours due to hanging ubuntu (newly installed), I decided to install fedora. It is difficult to say what is the reason for unstablity; sometimes it happend in SW update, most of the time without visible reason.

Win XP used to run in this same machine without problems for couple years. Ther reason the change to Linux was, that my PC (Lenovo) dealer in Beijing installed me pirate copy of XP and obviously it is not good behaviour (felt guilty all the time; and I cannot get security update anymore.

I was dreaming to decrease my "IT manager" work using "state of art" Linux instead of WinXP but opposite happened: computer is super-unstablie. WLAN does not find my basestation (all other devices find it without problems including my other XP (legal), MAC, Nokia 9300i and Nokia N75). Only Ubuntu have no idea of it.

Yes. I don't fix my cars anymore either, so priority is not to look under the hood anymore; including home computers.

I have to admit that Fedora has not started very well but it is stabile, not need for reboot if e.g. SW package is not downloading fast enough.

For you entertainment I list my favourity Operation systems: WinXP (realiable and stabile), MAC OS X (more fine tuning required but almost as stabile as Windows), and Symbian 60 (the best OS for mobile devices). Linux is not yet in the list; and Vista will stay away from my computers!

- good night!
    - Jouni
    Which version did you use?
    I installed Gutsy testing for my girlfriend on her ThinkPad R61i and it works very well.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Installing an unstable build for a new (I assume?) linux user seems a bit risky.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Bothered View Post
    Installing an unstable build for a new (I assume?) linux user seems a bit risky.
    Had to take the risk, her laptop is too new for Feisty to support it properly. I do run Gutsy myself so it's not that bad.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 885 of 952 FirstFirst ... 385785835875883884885886887895935 ... LastLast