Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EXT4 - I just don't get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: EXT4 - I just don't get it.

Well I'm going to Reiser4, BTRFS is needing some major work, and I was able to compile the kernel to support Reiser4 and I got speeds that I thought were only possible on an SSD. So yeah EXT4, not my cup of tea, if I see issues with Reiser4, I'll go back to XFS.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Well I'm going to Reiser4, BTRFS is needing some major work, and I was able to compile the kernel to support Reiser4 and I got speeds that I thought were only possible on an SSD. So yeah EXT4, not my cup of tea, if I see issues with Reiser4, I'll go back to XFS.
    I dunno mate. I'm running nine parttions last time I counted. This is a minimal sport of little laptop config for me. /dev/sda* in order: FAT32, EXT4, EXTENDED, SWAP.
    Logical: EXT4, EXT4, EXT4, EXT4, EXT4, EXT4.

I've been running EXT4 for a year now I guess, and usually copy everything from one partition to another every three months or less, and it's been perfect for all my .jpegs and all my .mp3s and all my .debs and all my data, without fail. I'm running Karmic.
    The code is free but the data is priceless.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    It's easy write off subtle intermittent file system issues as hardware problems, user error or even imagination. I have had ext4 file system corruption with 10.10 on a new thinkpad. The problem was not reproducible. Because it does not affect you or it is not a common problem does not mean that it does not exist. I am sticking with tried and true ext3, because I don't need the hassle of a reinstall.
    Not only is it easy, it is the only response possible when you insist on providing zero specifics. Just saying you have "corruption" does not describe a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Files that have become corrupt:

1. ISO image, I download a lot and then use them in VirtualBox. After I install I unmount cause I usually install the addins or have another ISO with items I need for it. These were becoming corrupt left and right, I'd try to load them it would give errors in VirtualBox; I'd try to use UNETBOOTIN to copy the ISO Files to a USB Flash drive and SD card - it would say it couldn't read the file. I've installed Mint 10 with these flash mediums.

2. Music files, I've had music in my Music folder; play just fine, even play fine on the drive I copied them from, after a while each song just wouldn't play - not in exaile, rhythmbox, banshee, vlc, or on Windows on Winamp.

Random files I've downloaded or had have went missing too:
    Images, Music files, Downloads
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1) ext4 is probably the most well tested and debugged linux filesystem there is, so if you are experiencing "corruption", you likely have a serious hardware flaw that needs addressed, and it won't make a difference what fs you use
    What? Are you kidding me? ext2 and ext3 are far more stable and well tested than ext4. Ext4 was released too early, proclaimed stable too early, and chosen by Ubuntu and Red Hat too early.

Red Hat also switched to ext3 when it was relatively young but they got lucky in that ext3 was pretty stable then. ext4 is a lot more complicated than ext3 and needs more time to mature.

I would trust your own experience and stick with ext3 for as long as you need, the support is not going anywhere. And to those who were under the impression you are forced to use the ext4 filesystem, just do an advanced install and you can choose your own filesystem.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Files that have become corrupt:

1. ISO image, I download a lot and then use them in VirtualBox. After I install I unmount cause I usually install the addins or have another ISO with items I need for it. These were becoming corrupt left and right, I'd try to load them it would give errors in VirtualBox; I'd try to use UNETBOOTIN to copy the ISO Files to a USB Flash drive and SD card - it would say it couldn't read the file. I've installed Mint 10 with these flash mediums.

2. Music files, I've had music in my Music folder; play just fine, even play fine on the drive I copied them from, after a while each song just wouldn't play - not in exaile, rhythmbox, banshee, vlc, or on Windows on Winamp.

Random files I've downloaded or had have went missing too:
    Images, Music files, Downloads
    Why is this file system related? There could be various causes for this problem. Sounds way to extreme to be fully ext4 related...
    If you don't trust ext4 anyway, I would suggest ext3, I still have allot of ext3 machines running here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ezsit View Post
    What? Are you kidding me? ext2 and ext3 are far more stable and well tested than ext4. Ext4 was released too early, proclaimed stable too early, and chosen by Ubuntu and Red Hat too early.
    I don't think it's a good idea to use a relatively new filesystem for critical data. I personally ruined an external NTFS harddisk once, at a time it was suppozed to be safe enough. Better safe than sorry... I think I'll start using ext4 for my root filesystem the next time I do a fresh install, but keep using ext3 for the data partitions a little bit longer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would research the exact brand and model of the hard drive in your laptop. Many users have had no problems with ext4. And if google is using it now, they would be the first to notice it.

Sounds like the crow claiming the sunrise.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whoop View Post
    Why is this file system related? There could be various causes for this problem. Sounds way to extreme to be fully ext4 related...
    If you don't trust ext4 anyway, I would suggest ext3, I still have allot of ext3 machines running here.
    ext4 is ext3 with a few minor changes and it was considered to be experimental for years. How was it released early?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    ext4 is ext3 with a few minor changes and it was considered to be experimental for years. How was it released early?
    Come again?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast