Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you test your max connection speed?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

how do you test your max connection speed?

Hi, I just switched from a 1000Mb dsl to a 6000Mb dsl contract, but for now I hardly noticed any difference. Is there any way to test if the new settings are already enabled?
    thanks, ~weatherman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: how do you test your max connection speed?

if you do a search for bandwidth meter you should find a few.

if you really mean 6000Mb, then you might have trouble finding somewhere who as a connection fast enough to feed data to you at your full speed (a network is only as fast as its weakest link). maybe a time a download from a fast nearby university based ftp site, at a non peak time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's one way to do it but I'm sure there's some on-line way to measure it:
    Bandwidth meter
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans

My ISP (PlusNet) provides a bandwidth speed tester as part of the user's tools. I used it on a daily basis after being given a free upgrade from 2MB to 8MB. I would have thought that your ISP would have a similar tool, but where they've hidden it I've no idea (PlusNet put it under 'Connection Settings').

BTW my '8MB' has never risen above 3MB. The excuse is 'distance from the exchange'.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
    Hi, I just switched from a 1000Mb dsl to a 6000Mb dsl contract, but for now I hardly noticed any difference.
    I'm sure my ISP would like to rent part of your 6000Mb pipe. Hell i could run my entire town on that pipe.

Beans

Beans

1000 MB ? 6000 MB ? wtf
    MB means Mega Bytes, right ? Not kilo bit ? lol
    I'm very happy to have a 1,2 MB (10 megabit) connection at home, and right now, I've a 6O kB (512 kilobit) connection.

Beans

1.21 gigawatts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

well I am guessing that his ISP is providing 6000 megaBITS not 6000 megabytes which is what file size are measured in and even that is UBSURD because that would equate to 750 megabytes per second!!! Time Warner Road Runner Cable (this is cable now, NOT DSL which is slower) doesn't even have this high of a download plan for their business class people. Their highest business class download rate is 8M, the website doesn't state what the M stands for but normal unit of measure for bandwidth is measured in bits, NOT bytes like data is normally measured. See here:
    megabit
    Abbreviated mbit. Usually 1,048,576 binary digits or bits of data. Often used as equivalent to 1 million bits. Megabits per second
    A measurement of the amount of information moving across a network or communications link in one second, measured in multiples of 1,048,576 bits.

megabyte
    Usually 1,048,576 bytes. Megabytes are a common way of representing computer memory or hard-disk capacity

Ive seen some1 actually measure a T3 line at work by going to dslreport.com and get results of 6.4megaBYTES as the downlaod and 1.4megaBYTES as the upload.

SO needless to say, if your ISP told you there giving you 6000 mb, they are LIEING!!!!!!! I am guessing it's 6000 kiloBITS, which is around 750 kiloBYTES which is normal dsl speed I believe. I have cable broadband from Time Warner, they claim they're providing me a 5megabits down and 2.5megabits up. but in reality I am getting around 2.73megabits download and around .31 megabits upload.

Beans

yeah, I always get confused because of bits vs. bytes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast