Page 13 of 121 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

Hi all,
    I appear to be experiencing Problem #2, but from a fresh install of 10.10 via Wubi running in Win7 Starter. The computer I'm installing to already has WinXP and Win7 Starter dual booting, so that may have something to do with it. What can I do to resolve the problem - I'd really like to get Ubuntu up and running, ideally in a triple-boot setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkers View Post
    Hi all,
    I appear to be experiencing Problem #2, but from a fresh install of 10.10 via Wubi running in Win7 Starter. The computer I'm installing to already has WinXP and Win7 Starter dual booting, so that may have something to do with it. What can I do to resolve the problem - I'd really like to get Ubuntu up and running, ideally in a triple-boot setup.
    If you've never seen the Ubiquity installer slideshow - then Ubuntu is not installed - and you are not experiencing Problem #2. Please describe your symptoms in more detail to help clarify or attach the bootinfoscript. I'm not aware of any grub update on 10.10 that could be causing this.

PS the website www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer downloads 10.04.1, not 10.10 - which has been a source of confusion for some people.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    If you've never seen the Ubiquity installer slideshow - then Ubuntu is not installed - and you are not experiencing Problem #2. Please describe your symptoms in more detail to help clarify or attach the bootinfoscript. I'm not aware of any grub update on 10.10 that could be causing this.

PS the website www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer downloads 10.04.1, not 10.10 - which has been a source of confusion for some people.
    It may well not be a 10.10 grub update issue, it just seems similar to the symptoms of Problem #2.

I never see the installation slideshow, so I suppose Ubuntu is never fully installing. I run Wubi on Win7 starter, hit "install inside Windows", select the installation drive, size, and user password, and hit install. It extracts files from the DVD, ejects it and prompts to restart. I do, and select the Ubuntu entry from the boot list, which now reads WinXP, Win7 Starter, Ubuntu. It prompots me to hit esc for more installatio nboot options, and counts down from 5 to 0. Then it does nothing at all - the cursor just blinks indefinately without any installation seeming to happen. When I hard restart I can boot into WinXP or Win7 with no problems, but if I select Ubuntu again the same problem occurs.

I would attach the bootscript results, but the disk actually fails to liveboot on that machine as well, as does a second, Xubuntu disk. The same disks liveboot fine on my other computer, so I have no clue whats going on.

Oh and I realized that the Wubi available for download was for 10.04, so I used the copy off the Ubuntu disk itself, which is for 10.10.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Jakkers
    It sounds like you have a hardware/graphics card incompatibility. Please specify brand/model/graphics card etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    @Jakkers
    It sounds like you have a hardware/graphics card incompatibility. Please specify brand/model/graphics card etc.
    Its a stock Lenovo Ideapad S10-3 Netbook.

Video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150, Audio is Realtek HD, with an Intel Atom processor @ 1.66GHz, and a gig of RAM.

I'd give the netbook remix a shot, but I'm not sure it would work any better, and I'd prefer a full desktop experience instead of the netbook-oriented interface it sports.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Its a stock Lenovo Ideapad S10-3 Netbook.

Video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150, Audio is Realtek HD, with an Intel Atom processor @ 1.66GHz, and a gig of RAM.

I'd give the netbook remix a shot, but I'm not sure it would work any better, and I'd prefer a full desktop experience instead of the netbook-oriented interface it sports.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes
    Lenovo S10-3 systems don't boot. Temporary workaround: add "intel_idle.max_cstate=0" as a kernel paremeter at boot (634702). A fix already exists that will be available only at release time (647071).
    To set kernel boot options on a wubi install see here (replace nomodeset with the above): http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...20&postcount=8

You need to repeat this (after installing) on the first boot: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...97&postcount=1 (ignore the fact that is says "(not wubi)" - it is the same)

After booting, apply all updates through the update manager and it should fix the problem.

Note netbook-edition is the same as 32-bit ubuntu desktop, except it includes unity (the netbook display manager) - you can select either the standard Gnome Desktop or Unity at login time.

Beans

Worked perfectly! Many many thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Worked perfectly! Many many thanks.
    Great! You're welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, By your suggestion for a permanent fix, I did so in my 10.04 LTS and got rid of the famous rescue prompt which harrassed me for more than a week.
    But to my surprise, after update through update manager, I found the network connection is not working. However, booting in failsafex mode gives the connection.
    I want to know, if this happened due to the "permanent fix" I have done.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rezaulkabir View Post
    Hi, By your suggestion for a permanent fix, I did so in my 10.04 LTS and got rid of the famous rescue prompt which harrassed me for more than a week.
    But to my surprise, after update through update manager, I found the network connection is not working. However, booting in failsafex mode gives the connection.
    I want to know, if this happened due to the "permanent fix" I have done.
    No. Nothing in the permanent fix modifies anything that could possibly impact your networking. Check your logs and try posting in the Networking and wireless subforum if you need help troubleshooting.

Page 13 of 121 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast