Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gnome Panel - weird issue or not!!!

Beans

Question The Gnome Panel - weird issue or not!!!

i'm having trouble with Gnome Panel in my Lucid...

i wanted to remove all panels...
    removed the bottom one successfully by right clicking...

unfortunately, now, the top one cannot be removed in the same way... the 'Delete Panel' option is disabled!!!

i read something about the gconf editor... did few things... still having trouble...

i uninstalled GNOME-PANEL from synaptic... still its there in my desktop!!!

now the main thing is, i can move this panel anywhere in the screen...

take a look at this picture and see for yourself... is this weird or not???

how can i remove this panel???
    Last edited by randolf_ambrose; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
    i believe in Ubuntu!!!
    UBUNTU EASY INSTALL 1.1: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ubuntu...53334814714818

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: The Gnome Panel - weird issue or not!!!

You'll probably have to purge the configuration files for the gnome-panel.
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans

Smile Re: The Gnome Panel - weird issue or not!!!

Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angry_johnnie View Post
    you directed me to
    Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    The only way to get rid of the panel, if you don't need it, is to remove it from your Gnome session through gconf-editor. Of course you can configure some other app to run in it's place if you want to.

Removing the last panel isn't possible, and as long as the panel is running as Gnome component it will automatically spawn back if you try to kill it.

So, if you want to remove the Gnome-panel from your desktop you need to start gconf-editor and then remove "panel" from the list in desktop/gnome/session/required_components list (and perhaps also unset the desktop/gnome/session/required_components/panel -key).

But if you are planning to just run some other panel or dock instead it would make sense the leave the panel in the session components, and then just set the desktop/gnome/session/required_components/panel to use whatever program you are planning to run. This would automatically start that app for you and also autospawn it back if it crashes or is killed.
    the same thread i've followed before posting here...

i tried to remove 'panel' from 'required_components_list' but not possible... delete or right click doesnt work... may be i need to log in as root???

so i tried the second option, put awn as the value for panel... no issues as well as no change!!!

that first panel remains in my desktop!!!
    i believe in Ubuntu!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by -humanaut- View Post
    You'll probably have to purge the configuration files for the gnome-panel.
    how to do that???
    i believe in Ubuntu!!!

Beans

My question is 'why'. Why do you want to remove all the panels? That makes no sense to me, so please enlighten me. I understand needing more screen real estate for a netbook, but I get that by making the panels autohide. I don't see them until I need them, and I need them all the time.
    Asus EEE 900 with Linux Mint Debian Edition
    Linux user 497460

Beans

Smile Re: The Gnome Panel - weird issue or not!!!

quick and dirty fix i just though of:

Code:
    sudo chmod a-x /usr/bin/gnome-panel
    log out and back in.

the panel should be gone.

but then again, without a panel i think you won't have alt+f2.
    not that you can't replace it with something else, like launchy or gnome-do, but still, just letting you know.
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

K, I've done this A THOUSAND TIMES. Just press Alt+F2, type gconf-editor, click the plus on desktop, gnome, then click ON session in the list on the left.

Now, in the list on the right, right-click required components and go to Edit Key. Then highlight panel and click remove, click okay.

You can always edit the gconf file itself with a text editor and delete the line yourself, just by Ctrl+F to find the line of text that matches.

I hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Oh, RIGHT! And you'll want to pkill gnome-panel in the terminal or Alt+F2 run box, just in case your session is set to start up with the programs it ended with. That way it's guaranteed not to show up unless you start it, yourself.

However, you might wanna' get Gnome-DO or Kupfer to make your life easier- you can't run Alt+F2 without gnome-panel on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    My question is 'why'. Why do you want to remove all the panels? That makes no sense to me, so please enlighten me. I understand needing more screen real estate for a netbook, but I get that by making the panels autohide. I don't see them until I need them, and I need them all the time.

simple answer 1 = i like animated buttons...
    simple answer 2 = i always loved blank desktop... i've even disabled my desktop!!!
    simple answer 3 = last time i did autohide and put moved that panel from top to left, i never got it back even on mouse hover!!!

honest/rude answer = panels reminds me of the taskbar in windows...

i believe in Ubuntu!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast