Page 120 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Thanks, again, dmizer. For anyone out there curious, here is the solution that worked for everything I needed, including allowing my servers to mount the NAS cifs shares this thread is about. It was relatively simple!
    Set the Ubuntu servers inside the LAN to fixed IP addresses, but NOT the external IP addresses - instead set them to addresses within the private subnet (10.1.10.1/255.255.255.0) but outside the DHCP range. THEN set the router to use 1-1 NAT to match the static external IP addresses up with the fixed internal addresses. Now I have the best of both worlds - internally the servers can access the same network resources as the other ubuntu workstations cvause they are within the subnet, but they still are dedicated servers to the outside world on a fixed IP. And on this SMC router, the port filtering still works, even when using the 1-1 NAT.
    Hope this helps out someone else. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Beans

I just want to point out that after installing winbind in Ubuntu Karmic 64-bit my Internet connection slowed way down, at least in terms of connecting to websites.

See my thread here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422567

Any thoughts on the matter?

Btw, great thread.

Beans

Hi,

I'm using samba and cifs method for sharing network windows folders. I have a file with username and password for protected folders. Now i want to add another password protected folder and i would like to know how can i insert more than one user in credentials file, without creating a file for each username.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by zakarra View Post
    Hi,

I'm using samba and cifs method for sharing network windows folders. I have a file with username and password for protected folders. Now i want to add another password protected folder and i would like to know how can i insert more than one user in credentials file, without creating a file for each username.

thanks
    Sorry, you will have to create a separate credentials file for each username/password combination. Alternatively, and preferably, you should simply add your Ubuntu user's name and password to the Windows file server, and that will completely eliminate the need for separate credentials files.

Beans

I'm having problems mounting an SMB share using "mount -t smbfs" or "mount -t cifs". However, both smbclient and "Places -> Connect to Server" work fine.

I'm using Hardy and the SMB share in question allows anonymous access. I am having the same problem with another SMB share at work.

Code:
    $USERNAME@singularity:~$ smbclient -L $IP_ADDRESS
    Password: 
    Domain=[DESKTOP] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename       Type      Comment
            ---------       ----      -------
            IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
            print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
            SharedDocs      Disk      
            ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
            C$              Disk      Default share
            Lexmark         Printer   Lexmark 2600 Series
    session request to $IP_ADDRESS failed (Called name not present)
    session request to $FIRST_8_BITS_OF_IP_ADDRESS failed (Called name not present)

Server               Comment
            ---------            -------

Workgroup            Master
            ---------            -------
    Also:

Code:
    $USERNAME@singularity:~$ smbclient //$IP_ADDRESS/SharedDocs -U Guest
    Password:
    smb: \>
    However, when I use the mount command, the command hangs and never completes. E.g.,

Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs //$IP_ADDRESS/SharedDocs smb/ -o username=Guest,password=
    The same thing happens if I use "mount -t cifs", or if I use a credentials file.

I'm basically having the same problem as the person in this thread, but the solution doesn't work here.

Similar problems were encountered by this person, but, once again, the solutions don't work.

If you need me to post more information, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. - I also am curious as to where the SMB share is mounted when you use "Places -> Connect to Server". I don't see it when I use the "mount" command. Is it not really mounted in the traditional way?

P.P.S - I didn't read through this thread, so if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question, let me know. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pmdkh View Post
    I'm having problems mounting an SMB share using "mount -t smbfs" or "mount -t cifs". However, both smbclient and "Places -> Connect to Server" work fine.

I'm using Hardy and the SMB share in question allows anonymous access. I am having the same problem with another SMB share at work.
    Have you tried following the howto in the first post of this thread? There are many tips and it also includes troubleshooting. The first post has been continuously updated with new information as I learn it, so it is current and should be sufficient for helping you solve your problem.

Beans

This method also works with VM Workstation (a virtualization platform) to mount the Windows parent file system in an Ubuntu guest OS. Ironically the Ubuntu file browser network menu item will open the parent shares, but they will not be visible (e.g. mounted) in the Unix file tree.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Have you tried following the howto in the first post of this thread? There are many tips and it also includes troubleshooting. The first post has been continuously updated with new information as I learn it, so it is current and should be sufficient for helping you solve your problem.
    I read through all of the first post and tried the manual mount command that you gave (with the correct values, of course):

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename -o guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    I am still having the same problem, though.

dmesg | tail gives this:

Code:
    [ 1599.762193]  CIFS VFS: Error connecting to IPv4 socket. Aborting operation
    [ 1599.762208]  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -512
    I know that this isn't a firewall problem because I can connect to this share from a Windows XP laptop.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

I know that this isn't a firewall problem because I can connect to this share from a Windows XP laptop.
    Linux is not Windows, so it doesn't matter if Windows works or not, it could still be a firewall problem. Try without it.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks again.
    Does the share mount if you run this command?
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    Is your computer connecting wirelessly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, when I'm away from my home network (thus, not connecting to my NAS drive) my computer shuts down in about 5 seconds...max.

However, when I am on my home network (and connecting to my NAS drive) my computer tends to take forever to shut down. Is there a way to speed this up? Also during shutdown, no error messages appear (that I can remember).

And the following commands have also been ran:

Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc0.d/K15umountnfs.sh
    ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc6.d/K15umountnfs.sh
    My fstab entry below:

Code:
    //192.168.0.101/Volume_1 /home/aaron/DNS-323 cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,nounix,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    P.S. I actually won't be able to test anything suggested here for another couple weeks.
    Does not hide his beans.
    Is a proud supporter of nuclear energy.

Page 120 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast