Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twinview: Video tearing on second monitor

Beans

Twinview: Video tearing on second monitor

I've got an Nvidia 8500GT with a 19 inch CRT (on VGA) and a 22 inch LCD (on DVI) connected to it. When I fullscreen any video in mplayer, gmplayer, or vlc on my CRT monitor, everything is fine. But if I fullscreen on my 22 inch monitor, I have tearing/weird lines in my video. Some googling leads me to believe that I have to tell something somewhere to "sync" to my second monitor, but I'm kinda lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Ux64 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Twinview: Video tearing on second monitor

I can confirm that. I have trearing problem with both screens. It's just not perfect. Altough there seems to be "some syncing", because tearing often occures at the same point of screen and then slowly moves up or down. Meaning that there is "synchronization", it's just propably late from Vblank.

I haven't been able to solve that problem at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have an ATI radeon x300, and I only use one screen, and sometimes when opening video applications etc, it starts to tear. My best guess is that it has something to do with a restricted driver for a graphics card. probably a bug report about it somewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xreaper View Post
    Probably a bug report about it somewhere.
    That might be true. Because if I use windows with same hardware I don't have any problems. But with ubuntu tearing is issue. Anyway from Nvidia forums I got news that using window decorator like compiz might cause (additional / worse) tearing.

Beans

I've been trying to fix this for a week straight. Two different computers, one nvidia, one ATI, with or without compiz. Tried multiple driver versions/types, plenty of modules/options in xorg.conf. The similarity between the two computers is they are both dual screen setups. Although, one uses a Y cable off one card, and the other is running off two cards. I've made and read many a thread on here and have been unable to figure this out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Phases View Post
    I've made and read many a thread on here and have been unable to figure this out.
    So unfortunate. Like I said, I tried many things without success. Now when you have done the same job, we could conclude that it's simply NOT WORKING.

In my case it's like some kind of timing issue, with almost like an "offset" to screen bank. Because tearing point moves slowly up or downward.

Maybe it's something to do with kernel not being able to handle time critical tasks or so. No idea.

Beans

Similar problem when interacting with my second screen causing X server to crash. Maybe a bug with dual monitors running 2 X sessions?

Beans

First let me say, and I'm sorry for not mentioning this in my first post: But I'm not running Twinview. I'm using Xinerama + serverx-xgl. However I don't think it's limited to either, which is why I posted here. I'm seeing people post this problem in all different configurations, video drivers and cards. Maybe all I've seen reports on is dual monitor setups - but that's also part of the keywording I was searching with so..

Quote Originally Posted by Ux64 View Post
    So unfortunate. Like I said, I tried many things without success. Now when you have done the same job, we could conclude that it's simply NOT WORKING.

In my case it's like some kind of timing issue, with almost like an "offset" to screen bank. Because tearing point moves slowly up or downward.

Maybe it's something to do with kernel not being able to handle time critical tasks or so. No idea.
    For me, I get it when I slide windows horizontally, vertical is okay. The tearing doesn't move up or down, it's more sporatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifid View Post
    Similar problem when interacting with my second screen causing X server to crash. Maybe a bug with dual monitors running 2 X sessions?
    I suspect this may be the case. I haven't checked it with a single monitor though, as I don't want to rip out a card and modify my xorg.conf since it took so much work to get where I am, lol.. but it would probably benefit the cause for a single monitor config to be ruled out.

But, I'm looking at three different dual monitor systems, ati and nvidia, all with the same problem. Have tried damn near everything.

Beans

I also have this problem. I have tried with and without compiz and with and without twin view but the problem remains.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Trifid View Post
    Dunno! After Ibex update everything works fine. And I can't transfer windows from session to session. But for some particual reason Nautilus windows opened from GNOME bars still open always to primary window. But if I open VLC or any other software it works ok. And there is no way to transfer windows back and forth.

This is really really strange!

And yet, tearing isn't gone. So it's still there!
    Last edited by Ux64; December 8th, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast