View Poll Results: What was your gutsy install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
5479. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

566 10.33%
  • Upgrade - worked but had few things to solve

1,136 20.73%
  • Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

928 16.94%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

639 11.66%
  • Install - worked but had few things to solve

1,274 23.25%
  • Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve

936 17.08%
Page 43 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    On the Dell Dimension 8250 desktop with the GeForce 7600GS the install picked the nvidia-glx-new driver as the restricted driver of choice. On bootup the driver said that it cannot find the board or display and so resorts to a 800x600 EGA type low-res display. A check of supported devices on the Nvidia website shows the GeForce 7600GS to be a supported device for this driver. If I remove the restricted driver and go back to the open source nv driver everything works fine. However, without the restricted driver you can't play with Compiz Fusion. I tried re-installing and it did the same thing. I have not resolved this problem and so am stuck with nv.
    uninstall nvidia-glx-new and install nvidia-glx instead it might solve your problem, besides with a 7600GS nvidia-glx-new driver is not mandatory. latest nvidia drivers have also bugs so if you don't need latest just use the standard nvidia-glx.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Fresh install on Toshiba Satellite :

As always everything that works, seems to work just a little better. But I have more issues (and dislikes) about Gutsy then any other Unbuntu release.

1. No boot screen. I don't have any images, text, or anything untill the loginscreen.
    2. No rotate on screen edges with the mouse wheel in Compiz, even after setting it up manualy, it doesn't work. (Posts on the Compiz forum lead me to beleive that it should work with the version of fusion Ubuntu is using, so I don't know what the problem is here.)
    3. Human icon theme no longer inherits Tango. Tango wasn't even installed - I had to copy it from another PC and modify the index.theme file for Human.
    4. Also, many of my icons look blurry within the Gnome menu. It seems like it's using the 16x16 icons and scaling them up in many cases. I still haven't figured out why.
    5. Compiz's initial settings are pretty, but useless. I spent more time trying to configure Compiz to be usefull then I did configuring everything else combined. (looking forward to that new setting manager in 8.04)
    6. I still haven't figured out how to get compiztray icon to work. Running an integrated Intel video chipset in that laptop, I need to be able to turn Compiz off to watch movies. All attempts have led to Emerald+Compiz crashing.
    7. For some reason USB disks where set not to mount at first. It took me a while to realize that this was a setting and not a serious problem.
    8. I thought I'd just install Opera from the Ubuntu Repositories. Wrong. For some reason it didn't install any menu icons and kept giving me a few other problems. I had to uninstall it and reinstall from Opera's repo.

Everything else was rather impressive. I do have to say, though, that I have more problems with Gutsy then any other Ubuntu release I've ever used. I remember having 2 issures with Breezy, none with Dapper, 3 with Edgy, 1 with Fiesty. ( To be fair, the only one of those that I never got straightned out was the Fiesty error, that was casing my machine to wait 5 minutes after boot to load networking.) Well, anyway, I'll more then likely stick with Fiesty on my other machines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good Day,
    I upgraded using the alt. cd plus downloading updates. Everything seem to go rather well and I was surprised because my Feisty install was heavily modified. The only problems I'm having trouble with is the log off sound, it does not play at all and it should. also I have no splash screen. Those are minor problems that I have posted about. Other than that it went pretty smooth. This is my first upgrade. I usually do a fresh install which I still believe gives you a more stable system. But at least I didn't have the Xp / Vista upgrade nightmare a lot of my friends did.
    Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Nothing but problems. Had to try to update 4 times (finally got a solid connection to the servers at about 3 AM). Then sound didn't work (This fixed it).

Biggest problems yet to resolve:
    1) Firefox crashes if I try to go to Gmail or many other websites
    2) Firestarter won't start (leaving my other computer without net access)
    3) One of my internal hard disks won't appear

I must say, I'm not impressed with this update...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had a few problems upgrading, but I seem to have fixed them all.

I had to increase the size of my boot drive, because I didn't have enough space to run the upgrade (thank you gParted...), afterwards it worked fine.

I had to re-run xorg-config to get the configuration to recognize my widescreen monitor. I have an intel i810 integrated graphics card, and I already had the most recent drivers. The trick was to run the config using the intel driver, not the i810 driver, and it detected just fine.

I also had to download SSL support and reinstall Pidgin, for MSN and GTalk because it does not seem to come with that natively compiled. I don't remember the libraries I used, but it was one of the first results on a google search.

Beans

Gutsy is by far the best Ubuntu revision yet. The install process could not have been easier, and gone more flawlessly. The live CD downloaded in 12 minutes and then only took about another 45minutes until I was installed and running on my Dell Inspiron 710m.

I've only had to deal with three things so far:
    1) Install gkrellm and the i8kutil package for Dell laptop fans. Since I did this in Feisty, it took two minutes to take care of this.

2) Gutsy sees my secondary monitor right away, but will only duplicate the default. The "Screen and Graphics" option for secondary screen does not work at the moment on my system. I'm glad the screen is at least recognized. That puts me one step ahead of the Feisty Install.

3) My Canon MP390 does not have scanner functionality, and only basic printing capabilities. This I know will remain unresolved until one of two things happen: The Ubuntu community pressures print manufactures into releasing Linux drivers, or someone modifies Ndiswrapper, or writes a similar program, to work with printer drivers.

Otherwise props to the Ubuntu community for a great job.

Beans

Ok so far it is working but not perfect.
    1). No boot screen.
    2). The Network manager does not automatic load my last profile.
    3). Boot time is a bit long (Longer then 7.04) which is not a disaster but still...
    4). Needed to manually enable the Repositories... took me a bit to figure out why i could not
    install or update.

Good point is that my RT2500 Is working without any trouble at all.
    Same goes for the for the brightness on my Sony Vaio.

Job well done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok for all those with boot screen and long boot issue just fix your usplash it is explained in many threads in the forum, for ex :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...52&postcount=2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: Share with the community your gutsy install/upgrade experience

Upgrade worked perfectly yesterday (even thought something screwed up when I first tried to upgrade it on the release day, no idea what but Ubuntu automatically rolled back all changes ).

The main problem was that the default video card driver didn't detect my monitor properly (only gave it a 640xwhatever resolution option) but installing the proprietary ATI driver fixed that.

The next problem was that 3D effects wouldn't work but a quick forum search brought me to this page with an extremely simple fix and now CompizFusion is up and running!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=584561

Granted I've only had Gusty running for an hour or two, but I've got my fingers crossed hoping not to run into any other problems (and praying to God that the upgrade fixed a constant freezing issue I was having with Fiesty)

Last edited by zhinker; October 22nd, 2007 at 06:33 PM.

Beans

Couldn´t get gutsy to upgrade with alternate CD.
    First thing was the spaces in the path issue. Then i made a imageof the cd and mounted it in dev/cdrom/ but it aborted complaining about calculations that couldn´t be done.
    I downloaded the alternate ISO via torrent. I burned and tested it with md5sum. CD was valid.

what else can i do?

Page 43 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast