Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 14.10 PPC Live CD Doesn't Advance Past Splash Screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lubuntu 14.10 PPC Live CD Doesn't Advance Past Splash Screen

Greetings:

I have a heirloom G3 full-RAM 900mHz iBook with a long defunct/dead hard drive according to S.M.A.R.T. I wish to at least partially resurrect it sans HD via a Live CD by whose LibreOffice and Firefox apps I can use to work with documents I store on a USB flash on the go.

I have tried to boot up a Lubuntu 14.10 Live CD on it and only get the blue splash screen running with blinking dots for over two hours. To break this deadlock I hit F6 as some Ubuntu forum users mentioned and the blue screen turned black with the lines:

stdin: Not a typewriter
    stdin: I/O error
    stdin: I/O error
    stdin: Not a typewriter

It returns to blue splash screen if I hit other F-keys.

I'm a nontechie senior trying to play this by ear. Any assist would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Jim in NYC
    Last edited by JGreenidge; June 20th, 2014 at 12:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Lubuntu 14.10 PPC Live CD Doesn't Advance Past Splash Screen

It appears it takes almost 90+ minutes for Lubuntu 14.04 or 14.10 to load on my G3 iBook. Is this normal? Is there any way it can be speeded up? Are there any speedier alternatives? I plan to let the system sleep than reboot for the rest of the time once it's up.

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't use 14.10. It is very much a development release, testing, buggy and not released until October! Stay away, that's not for you from your description of yourself (non-techie).

Stick with 14.04 LTS.

Also, by the sounds of your description, what you want is a persistent install to USB, not a LiveUSB boot everytime. Much more appropriate. See here for an explanation:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/faq/persistence

And here for a bit of a how-to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

With a persitentence install to USB you can save files directly to the USB you're booting from. It is like a completely self-contained OS and storage. Good luck.

PS: I'm not an Apple user, but the creation of the media shouldn't be that different.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 20th, 2014 at 12:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks heartily for your swift reply! I will stick with Lubuntu 14.04 even though 14.10 did work when it finally booted. I was given by some users that G3 Mac computers can't boot from USB ports like later ones, so would that cripple any persistent install? My original idea was booting off the live CD then getting data off the USB flash.

Jim in NYC

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    PS: I'm not an Apple user, but the creation of the media shouldn't be that different.
    It actually is! [EDIT: that second link is okay - see post #14] There are some PowerPC instructions for live usb persistence in this section https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...a_USB_drive.3F . I wrote those instructions just so that a testcase could be completed, but I don't recommend you follow them.

Taking apart an iBook is a bit of a traumatic experience, but it can be done. If you ask around it is amazing how many people have spare hard drives that may go in it. Or you can get a SSD drive for quite cheap money (make sure it has the old ide connection and not sata). That would be the better solution.

Failing that, if you have a usb flash drive then just install the system to that. It would be better than the live persistence route.
    Last edited by rsavage; June 20th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok, got ya. If you can't boot from a USB then I guess the LiveCD and USB storage is the go.

I will change the title of the thread to reflect 14.04 LTS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JGreenidge View Post
    I was given by some users that G3 Mac computers can't boot from USB ports like later ones, so would that cripple any persistent install? My original idea was booting off the live CD then getting data off the USB flash.

Jim in NYC
    Actually, the G3 iBooks are better at booting usb than G4 ones. They can all do it though. p.s. 12.04 is the version to go for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    It actually is! There are some PowerPC instructions for usb persistence in this section https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...a_USB_drive.3F .
    Thanks for the info.

If you ask around it is amazing how many people have spare hard drives that may go in it. Or you can get a SSD drive for quite cheap money (make sure it has the old ide connection and not sata). That would be the better solution.
    A new hard drive or SSD would definitely be easiest, and if you only need a USB dongle size, an SSD wouldn't be that expensive (and would be fast).

Failing that, if you have a usb flash drive then just install the system to that. It would be better than the live persistence route.
    Just wondering how if the hard drive isn't working ... with two USBs plugged in, one of them a LiveUSB?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Just wondering how if the hard drive isn't working ... with two USBs plugged in, one of them a LiveUSB?
    Presumably Jim already has a CD burned so he just needs to boot from that. Once booted up, plug the USB flash drive in, run the installer program and select the usb flash drive as if it were a hard drive. The only 'tricky' bit is getting the ibook to automatically boot from usb, but that is just a case of figuring out the openfirmware path.

If he doesn't have a CD burned, then yes he could use a liveusb instead of a CD.

For completeness, you could even do a 'wubi' - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2224808 (12.04 is the easier version to do this on).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For completeness, you could even do a 'wubi' - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2224808 (12.04 is the easier version to do this on).
    Be aware, Wubi is no longer supported by Canonical and is no longer supported on these forums. Please refer here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229766

This is a recent decision by forum staff. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 26th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast