Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Browsers off the beaten track Midori Seamonkey...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Internet Browsers off the beaten track Midori Seamonkey...

and maybe some of you know others too......

encountered problems recently with Opera [since the Flash update] and was getting white screens freezing the entire machine

so looking around i found lightning flash Midori much faster and pared down it is in the repo

Also Seamonkey

Now this one is not basic and seems ok too

Only problem is the one in the repos does not work on recent Ubuntu versions. it is far too old

But SeaMonkey 2.8 can be downloaded as a tar.bz2 in many languages

So i found i had to do this to get it started

Unpack to home folder then

Code:
    sudo mv seamonkey /usr/local
    Right click on desktop to create a launcher if on Oneiric enter Seamonkey in properties then command is

Code:
    /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey
    Then to go to the net and find a logo or use

Right-click on your launcher /properties/click on image and find where you stored logo

=================================

Any others one should be aware of??
    Last edited by shantiq; April 20th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Re: Internet Browsers off the beaten track Midori Seamonkey...

I could not get Midori to open after downloading from the repos.

Beans
    Distro

maybe look again

it did that for me yesterday too

click on the add + sign on left hand side

Screenshot at 2012-04-20 13:22:09.jpg once installed and ignore message

or try and install from software centre [unless did that already]
    Last edited by shantiq; April 20th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

Beans

Hi Shantiq...

I love Seamonkey and run it on an ancient recycled Easynote.... It has just about everything from briliant Cookie management (so that I can keep things like Quanterve and all of the other annoying market research cookie out.... It has neat colour tabs so I know where I am.... It is really fast and cnfigurable.... Can use Greasemonkey, scripts... everything you could want really and you can even change the background colour of all pages so that you have a nice restful surf without the hideous white glare!

My only problem is that I can't get it to install properly on Ubuntu 11.10 on my Toshiba AC100.... As you say, it isn't available anymore through the repositories and I have not succeeded with the TAR.GZ... When I try to run it I get the message "failed to execute child process "usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey" (No such file or directory).

Any ideas?

Another rapid and very neat browser is Arora (Not Aurora Firefox).

It has third party cookie manage,ent and adblock as standard and can run some user scripts.... It has a good feel to it but unfortunately doesn't seem to be being supported anymore.... SO no upgrades.... I shall keep it on the Netbook though simply because I like tit so much.

Midori is BRILLIANT.... I've have it on my dekstop for years.... It has colour tabs and can use Greasemonkey emulation and user scripts.... Has aneat "vieing panel so you can see what is going on with cookies etc.... It also has the wonderful Speedial page which is great.... Only problem is that my version 0.4.2 doesn't allow me to block thirdp-party cookies.... And I am not able to upgrade via the Midori Launchpas PPA...

I have been trying for weeks.... I know the 0.4.4 is there for Oeneiric but however hard I try I am told that I already have the latest version.... Really frustrating.... because I did downlad it originally via the ppa... I currently have 0.4.0-2build0.1.... I tried "downgrading the 0.4.0-2 Oeneric and then trying to upgrade again.... Didn't work and now I don't even get that version to chose from...

There is also something new that looks intersting called QUPZILLA but I had problems with that as well!

I think these issues may lie with the fact that the Ubuntu was loaded via NVIDIA flash bootloader using the "ubuntu-11.10-preinstalled-desktop-armel+ac100" image.... Maybe I will never be able to upgrade on it?

Anyway.... If you manage to get Qupzilla installed, I'd be interested.... Also if you know what I have done wrong with Seamonkey!

Cheers,
    Mo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I still prefer to use Google Chrome which is the most secure browser while Chrome update from Ubuntu repo is way too slow and behind the patch release date and time.

Beans
    Distro

Mo it looks as if you forgot the first forward slash [assuming you have placed the seamonkey folder in /usr/local which i am sure you have]

so try again with
    Code:
    will definitely check QUPZILLA and Arora. Thanx for those tips

Qupzilla started up fine here

and
    sudo apt-get install arora
    good too

Wacky my problem with Google anything [and yes their browser IS excellent ] is they work Hand in Hand with CIA etc... and all your data is passed around [alledgedly] and i am no criminal but like my privacy or at least a chance/illusion of privacy; i still use Googlemail as i have too many things tied into it; but do not wish to use their excellent browser

Linux for me is Latin for off-the-beaten-track and i aim for the non-corporate software whenever given the choice

Last edited by shantiq; April 23rd, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans

Hi Shantiq,
    I have since moved it to /usr/share which is where Midori sits....

Tried it again with the first slash and:
    mo@mo-laptop:~$ sudo /usr/share/seamonkey/seamonkey
    /usr/share/seamonkey/seamonkey-bin: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    Which is what I had the past few times I tried...

I know It is something simple?
    Mo

I did put the above in code tags so not sure why it didn't work

Beans
    Distro

sorry MO this is is in a launcher on desktop right? and the line
    in command

what is the whole message you are getting?

unexpected.... what?

This is what i see when i right-click on launcher and choose properties

seamonkey Properties_001.png
    Last edited by shantiq; April 23rd, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans

Hi Shantiq,

I've deleted the whole lot and started from scratch three times now and still won't launch......Although launcher is now on Desktop rather than in top toolbar.....

My launcher"properties" are exactly the same except that mine show 29 bytes.... But we won't squabble over that, will we!

I notice, however, that the other launchers don't have the full location, just the name "Midori %U" but I don't know what that means.... Doesn't work when I use that location instead anyway.

Permission is set for me and as executable.....

When you extracted yours from the TAR did you just do "extract here" from right click? That's what I did....

At least it's not giving an error anymore... Just not doing anything!

The reason I can't get any ppa updates or new software from those repositories is that work seems to have come to a stop on Ubuntu's Armel Deb dream.... Nothing is going into the repositories for this device anymore so my 0.4.2 version of Midori will be the last and Qupzilla will never make it at all!

Arch Linux has stopped developement on the AC100 too I think but there may be so work for other Nvidia/Tegra chips along the line that can be hacked.... I am hopeful....

I could try going for Precise but not sure I would be any better off and it takes so much effort to get something that resembles a working system up and running with so little info available.....

Shame.... The Toshiba AC100 is a neat device.....and very cheap!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Shantiq,

If you really like Seamonkey, then you'd be better installing it from the Ubuntuzilla PPA as it will keep it up to date. However it is very much Mozilla's second best browser and doesn't receive the same amount of care and attention that Firefox does.

Personally, I use Firefox speeded up (I like to the live bookmarks) and Chrome for work ('cos it's just so fast). I've also heard of security issues with Midori, so wouldn't recommend that.

EDIT: If you're looking for alternatives, you might find some inspiration here.
    Last edited by RichardCain; April 24th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast