Thread: Gnome Session Fallback Ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta 2

Beans

Cool Gnome Session Fallback Ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta 2

I remember reading the session fall back was no longer available for Ubuntu - maybe I mis-read or misunderstood.
    Today I installed Ubuntu 14.04 beta 2 on an old Dell laptop; after I validated that all worked I started to look for ways to make Unity more to my liking and was not at all successful.
    I found Gnome Session Fallback using Synaptic; installed it; and now extremely happy.
    Dell Inspiron 6000
    2 GB memory
    Intel® Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz
    Intel® 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
    32 bit
    disk 37.1 GB

Regards,
    Pete

Beans

Re: Gnome Session Fallback Ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta 2

From apt:

This is a transitional package to ease upgrades to gnome-session-flashback.
    Please look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682

Beans

Thanks for the link - it's a bit overwhelming.

When I chose G-S-F in Synaptic both flash and fallback were automatically selected. I prefer the Metacity to compiz and have had no problems configuring it to my liking.

Once 14.04 final release is here what's the prognosis - flashback or fallback?

Thanks,
    Pete

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep2 View Post
    Thanks for the link - it's a bit overwhelming.

When I chose G-S-F in Synaptic both flash and fallback were automatically selected. I prefer the Metacity to compiz and have had no problems configuring it to my liking.

Once 14.04 final release is here what's the prognosis - flashback or fallback?

Thanks,
    Pete
    It's just a name change

Fallback became flashback, but they'll keep the "dummy" package fallback for a while so people can adjust to the change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Angry Re: Gnome Session Fallback Ubuntu 14.04 LTS beta 2

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    It's just a name change

Fallback became flashback, but they'll keep the "dummy" package fallback for a while so people can adjust to the change.
    This is immensely stupid!! What's the point?? Name changes are not just cosmetic. To give you a simple example. Try using NX Client / FreeNX with an Ubuntu Server. In each version of Ubuntu "gnome classic" session has a different name. Why?? Surely gnome-classic could have just stayed, instead of of gnome-fallback, gnome-classic, gnome-flashback, gnome-session-fallback and so on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Gnome Flashback team was born in December 2012 out of a shared desire to continue work on the discontinued "Gnome Fallback" mode based on metacity and gnome-panel.
    https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/P...GnomeFlashback

It is my guess that as Gnome development work progressed farther and father away from the discontinued Gnome 2 + Gnome panel into Gnome 3 + Gnome shell a new name for the packages was needed because the code was so different even though it was attempting to do similar things.

B y the way, there is a Gnome classic for Gnome 3 shell. It is a shell extension. We should expect this kind of development method in Linux. It is all part of the FOSS freedoms that developers have. The right to code for projects of their choosing.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 29th, 2014 at 11:58 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We are no longer discussing Trusty problem here. Thread closed.