Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

You truely are a mad scientist! I popped back into the chroot, apt-get install gdm, remade the iso and now it works! Thats insane, how could kdm possibly have something to do with it?

I'll need to do some other tweaking to it as the login splash is the generic one.
    Also, I'll install it on one of my separate partitions just to make sure it's working properly.

EDIT: Do you know of any kubuntu themed GDM themes?
    EDIT2: Can't find any on gnome-look.org...maybe someone could make one while I pound out any other issues with it.
    Last edited by red_team316; November 3rd, 2008 at 04:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by red_team316 View Post
    You truely are a mad scientist! I popped back into the chroot, apt-get install gdm, remade the iso and now it works! Thats insane, how could kdm possibly have something to do with it?
    Thanks!
    I don't know why or how KDM is broken this point--why don't you file a bug report on it so that everyone affected can add information. Eventually there should be enough info to actually solve the bug...

I'll need to do some other tweaking to it as the login splash is the generic one.
    Also, I'll install it on one of my separate partitions just to make sure it's working properly.

EDIT: Do you know of any kubuntu themed GDM themes?
    No, and I don't think there are any in existence, but here's a GDM theme I like. Nice and clean:
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=48994

Just a thought.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro

lol no. It's gotta be a kubuntu one. After all this work, it's gotta look professional, not like some hacked up remaster(I give enough support over at the reconstructor forums) We might be KDE3 heroes if we can pull this off. Someone step up to the plate, I could do it but it will just lengthen the time it takes to make since I've got to test other stuff.

64-bit version will be next after 32-bit is completed.

Sure you can host it, but I'll also try to see if I can upload it here too: http://www.filehosting.org/ supposedly no upload limit. I don't have a website of my own I'm a free floater. Hopefully, if enough people get it, someone can start a torrent.

Where do I file it, on launchpad?

EDIT:
    Sound also doesn't appear to be working for some reason in kvm. Wait a minute, I just tested standard hardy.sio and sound doesn't work there either.
    Other than that, almost every kde3 package is installed, games and a ton of extra stuff. Should I remove some of it? The ISO is 988MB. Kubuntu doesn't typically ship with all of it. I'm just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

EDIT2: There are a bazillion KDE tweaks that need to be done since they are defaulting to KDE standard settings. Luckily I can grab hardy's kubuntu-default-settings and that should clear it up.
    Last edited by red_team316; November 3rd, 2008 at 04:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

lol no. It's gotta be a kubuntu one. After all this work, it's gotta look professional, not like some hacked up remaster(I give enough support over at the reconstructor forums) We might be KDE3 heroes if we can pull this off. Someone step up to the plate, I could do it but it will just lengthen the time it takes to make since I've got to test other stuff.

64-bit version will be next after 32-bit is completed.

Sure you can host it, but I'll also try to see if I can upload it here too: http://www.filehosting.org/ supposedly no upload limit. I don't have a website of my own I'm a free floater. Hopefully, if enough people get it, someone can start a torrent.

Where do I file it, on launchpad?

EDIT:
    Sound also doesn't appear to be working for some reason in kvm. Wait a minute, I just tested standard hardy.sio and sound doesn't work there either.
    Other than that, almost every kde3 package is installed, games and a ton of extra stuff. Should I remove some of it? The ISO is 988MB. Kubuntu doesn't typically ship with all of it. I'm just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

EDIT2: There are a bazillion KDE tweaks that need to be done since they are defaulting to KDE standard settings. Luckily I can grab hardy's kubuntu-default-settings and that should clear it up.
    I understand--why don't you just use the default Ubuntu Human theme for now? My expertise is not in graphical design or theming so I have no clue where to start on making a Kubuntu version...

I have a bugtracker here: http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net I think the Kubuntu devs would hate having it filed on Launchpad, seeing as they have no control over my repository.

My thoughts would be to make a DVD version with everything, and then strip out some to make a CD version, sort of like what Ubuntu does.

I'll throw kubuntu-default-settings up on my repository; apparently I missed it.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro

You know, I understand your reasoning on why not to post it on launchpad, but I did experience the same problem in a chrooted X on Intrepid. The odd thing is that the vanilla ubuntu intrepid iso HAS gdm. The problem may be related but I think it may be deeper than just kdm or gdm alone.

You are apparently missing the package that contains kubuntu-wallpaper too(if there is a package, that may be something they just customize before finalizing a new release)
    EDIT: yep, the wallpaper is in kubuntu default-settings.

Okay, how do I strip ~300MB without removing OpenOffice lol. I've seen many people ask that one
    Last edited by red_team316; November 3rd, 2008 at 06:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Let me know when you've added it to your repo.

There is something odd going on. adept_manager wont fire up from the menu but it will under the terminal. Give me a list of all the packages in your repo. There is a ton of KDE4 crap cluttering up all the directories. If I can do an apt-get remove/purge on all the packages and then reinstall them, hopefully it will remove a ton of the KDE4 stuff. If not, I'll have to go back and rebuild the original ISO(like the original tutorial said), remove those packages, add your repo, and then reinstall them.

EDIT:
    in fact, I think your repo needs more work.

kdelibs5
    kdelibs5-data

are KDE4 packages. I'm sure there are more, but thats what I've noticed left floating around so far.
    Last edited by red_team316; November 3rd, 2008 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Let me know when you've added it to your repo.

There is something odd going on. adept_manager wont fire up from the menu but it will under the terminal. Give me a list of all the packages in your repo. There is a ton of KDE4 crap cluttering up all the directories. If I can do an apt-get remove/purge on all the packages and then reinstall them, hopefully it will remove a ton of the KDE4 stuff. If not, I'll have to go back and rebuild the original ISO(like the original tutorial said), remove those packages, add your repo, and then reinstall them.

EDIT:
    in fact, I think your repo needs more work.

kdelibs5
    kdelibs5-data

are KDE4 packages. I'm sure there are more, but thats what I've noticed left floating around so far.
    I kept those around for KDE4 application compatibility--they don't harm KDE3.5 in any way.

The list of packages is here:
    http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/dist...-i386/Packages

kubuntu-default-settings is now available in the repository.

If a bug is reproducible in the stock KDE4 or Gnome environments, then by all means file it on Launchpad, as it will need to be fixed by the Ubuntu developers.

I wonder if you can start with the Hardy ISO and upgrade it to Intrepid with my repository added before the upgrade process. That way, KDE4 will never touch the system...

One other item: see if kdesu exists anywhere on your system. I have run across a system where the kdesu binary was not installed/installable for some reason, and I had to manually move kdesu.dist to kdesu That might be why the shortcut for Aptitude was not working.

KDE3.5 is amazingly complex, and it is very possible that my repository needs more work; that's why I'm on this forum!
    Last edited by madscientist159; November 3rd, 2008 at 07:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the list.

BTW, I noticed alot of the package maintainer lines had not been changed. Is there a specific reason you did this? It doesn't make sense that you have packages with the 7 on them that say they are maintained by others. It's easy to spot out what packages are coming from your repo that have your name on them. Are you going to update them? I think you should that way it is obvious where it came from.

Okay, I'll take your word for it that kdelibs5 packages dont conflict. It just seems kind of leery leaving them in there considering it's possible they might point to .kde

GNOME itself is a bug lol. I suppose I can file a bug under chroot for intrepid as filing something against kdm might not be a good idea considering it was their intention for intrepid to be KDE4 only. There may be a package that you need to add to your repo to get kdm/mouse/keyboard working...

where do I find the kdesu file(s) and where does the file(s) need to go? I'd rather not go on a wild goose chase
    Here is the actual output from the terminal when testing in kvm/qemu:
    Code:
    kubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo adept_manager
    kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-kubuntu" is owned by uid 999 instead of uid 0.
    debconf
    adduser
    sysklogd
    snort-mysql
    oinkmaster
    debconf
    adduser
    sysklogd
    snort-mysql
    oinkmaster
    kdecore (KProcess): WARNING: _attachPty() 43
    It kind of looks like I need to chown them but the only package I can find in your list you posted is debconf...
    hmm..it's adding packages to the terminal output as I look through adept. oinkmaster isn't installed, neither is snort-mysql, etc...
    Is this normal behavior?
    EDIT: nvm, I fired up adept_manager on my Hardy box and get similar output. I'm not worried about it now.

Installed kubuntu-default-settings. Looks like you added kubuntu-artwork-usplash also(makes me happy)
    Last edited by red_team316; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Some errors during the installation of the kde3 package:

http://pb.opperschaap.net/3

And it is not possible to create shortcuts for applications listed in KMenu, I'm unable to bind ksnapshot to print screen and other shortcuts I use (FF, Terminal). See screenshot: http://www.euronet.nl/users/wesleys/...rtcut-menu.png

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    Some errors during the installation of the kde3 package:

http://pb.opperschaap.net/3

And it is not possible to create shortcuts for applications listed in KMenu, I'm unable to bind ksnapshot to print screen and other shortcuts I use (FF, Terminal). See screenshot: http://www.euronet.nl/users/wesleys/...rtcut-menu.png
    Those are harmless--just ignore them. Basically they cropped up because I had to manually edit one or two of the packages in order to fix critical bugs fast enough; they will disappear once I recompile those packages.

I will look into the keybinding issue. Can you delete your /home/<username>/.kde directory (or back it up somewhere and then delete it) and see if that fixes the problem? This will clear your KDE settings entirely, but most of the time it will also clear up odd issues like that one.
    Last edited by madscientist159; November 3rd, 2008 at 02:50 PM.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast