Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast Neural Network (FANN) library for C

Beans

Question Fast Neural Network (FANN) library for C

The package libfann2 contains FANN version 2.1.0, which is 7 years old out dated, according to FANN's official changelog. I would like to install the newest version, 2.2.0, which was released 2 years ago (why isn't it on Ubuntu yet?). Is there a way to install it using Ubuntu's repositories or some PPA?

Beans

Re: Fast Neural Network (FANN) library for C

Up.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Download the source code, and then build it per the instructions given. Not every software application/library/utility in the world is available in the Ubuntu Repos; sorry, but you just have to accept that.

Beans

The fact is that it actually IS on the repositories, but it's severely out dated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by joe_cool2 View Post
    The fact is that it actually IS on the repositories, but it's severely out dated.
    Out dated? Compared to what... to the release available with the source code tar-ball?

Nobody at Ubuntu, and for that fact probably on this forum, maintain FANN. It is what it is... either perfected software, or an extremely buggy/neglected software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post
    Out dated? Compared to what... to the release available with the source code tar-ball?
    Compared to whatever you wan't to compare. The version on the repository is 7 years old.

Nobody at Ubuntu, and for that fact probably on this forum, maintain FANN. It is what it is... either perfected software, or an extremely buggy/neglected software.
    The new version adds a lot of important improvements and new features that are a must to anyone willing to develop top of the line IA algorithms. And you should study before saying about FANN. It's a spetacular artificial neural network library. Actually, it's the fastest and most used neural network library there exists. Even NASA uses it. And concerning the topic, whatever, I've already installed it from the source code since I posted this thread (I had no time to wait a reply). So, really, whatever if it's totally out dated on Ubuntu's repositories.
    Last edited by joe_cool2; May 16th, 2014 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was developing and using artificial neural networks during the 1990'ies. I'm glad to read about new features and applications

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I was developing and using artificial neural networks during the 1990'ies. I'm glad to read about new features and applications
    Why don't you use artificial neural networks anymore?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

And you should study before saying <snip> about FANN.
    I have no need to study anything about FANN at this point in my career. I've never heard of it prior to you mentioning it (goes to show it's not widely known), and frankly I'm surprised that you took the time to rant that the latest release is not available in the repos on a programming forum. You should have sought out another venue to voice your concerns.

Even NASA uses it.
    Yay. NASA -- the large organization that it is -- use many tools, including M$ Office and staplers. I'm sure that at least a handful of s/w engineers are, or may have considered, using FANN.

And concerning the topic, whatever, I've already installed it from the source code since I posted this thread (I had no time to wait a reply). So, really, whatever if it's totally out dated on Ubuntu's repositories.
    Again, it's great that you took the high/smart road to move along. The repos don't always have what you want. If you do want the repos to carry the latest version (and I agree that they should), then I'm sure that there's another avenue to achieve this that does not involve ranting on this forum.

Peace!

Beans

I have no need to study anything about FANN at this point in my career. I've never heard of it prior to you mentioning it (goes to show it's not widely known), and frankly I'm surprised that you took the time to rant that the latest release is not available in the repos on a programming forum. You should have sought out another venue to voice your concerns.

Yay. NASA -- the large organization that it is -- use many tools, including M$ Office and staplers. I'm sure that at least a handful of s/w engineers are, or may have considered, using FANN.

Again, it's great that you took the high/smart road to move along. The repos don't always have what you want. If you do want the repos to carry the latest version (and I agree that they should), then I'm sure that there's another avenue to achieve this that does not involve ranting on this forum.

Peace!
    Ok, congratulations for not helping at all and just causing trouble, I've reported you. Thanks for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast