Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans

Cool Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    I just tried to do the canonical repo without success. Here is my output.

Code:
    michael@michael-laptop:~$ debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=ubuntu/ --method=http --progress --dist=gutsy-commercial --section=main --arch=i386 CanonicalRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Mirroring to CanonicalRepos/ from http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu//
    Arches: i386
    Dists: gutsy-commercial
    Sections: main
    Passive mode on.
    Checking md5sums.
    Will clean up AFTER mirroring.
    Pdiff mode: use.
    Attempting to get lock, this might take 2 minutes before it fails.

Get Release files.
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-commercial/Release... dists/gutsy-commercial/Release failed 404 Not Found
    dists/gutsy-commercial/Release failed md5sum check, removing
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-commercial/Release.gpg... dists/gutsy-commercial/Release.gpg failed 404 Not Found
    dists/gutsy-commercial/Release.gpg failed md5sum check, removing
    Errors:
    Failed to download some Release or Release.gpg files!
    WARNING: releasing 1 pending lock...
     Download of dists/gutsy-commercial/Release failed: 404 Not Found Download of dists/gutsy-commercial/Release.gpg failed: 404 Not Foundmichael@michael-laptop:~$ 
    michael@michael-laptop:~$
    Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? The PLF repo downloaded with a problem.
    Well. I gather by the code that you're attempting to download the Canonical commercial software. You've probably taken this code from the FAQ from the tutorial.

No worries about that. However, it appears the file structure over at archive.canonical.com has been modified somewhat.

What I did to compose that part of the tutorial was use a browser to surf archive.canonical.com. I compared what I found to archive.ubuntu.com and created the correct paths in the proposed command. It worked well at the time.

However, it would appear that just as rivers change their courses through time, so do file structures at large servers. So, give me a bit of time to recall what it is I did to get this working. I'll post my findings here and then correct the FAQ.

Bob

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

OK. I just looked at the latest file structure of the archives.canonical.com site. Here's my initial correction. Kindly notify me if successful:

Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=/ --method=http --progress --dist=gutsy,gutsy-backports,gutsy-security,gutsy-updates,gutsy-proposed --section=partner --arch=binary-i386 CanonicalRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg

Here it is out of the code box for your examination:

debmirror
    --nosource
    -m
    --passive
    --host=archive.canonical.com
    --root=/
    --method=ftp
    --progress
    --dist=gutsy,gutsy-backports,gutsy-security,gutsy-updates,gutsy-proposed
    --section=partner
    --arch=binary-i386
    CanonicalRepos/
    --ignore-release-gpg
    Last edited by BobSongs; January 1st, 2008 at 07:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

First of all Bob I want to thank you for your continued help with this thread. I am learning alot here through the help of people like you. Linux is not an easy OS to learn when all you have dealt with is Windows, but with help from others people like me stick it out and learn more and in turn want to help others to (at the very least I can point people to threads here on the forum).

Ok now to business. I tried your correction and it seemed really promising but still nothing unfortunately. Here is the code produced.

Code:
    michael@michael-laptop:~$ debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=/ --method=http --progress --dist=gutsy,gutsy-backports,gutsy-security,gutsy-updates,gutsy-proposed --section=partner --arch=binary-i386 CanonicalRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Mirroring to CanonicalRepos/ from http://archive.canonical.com///
    Arches: binary-i386
    Dists: gutsy,gutsy-backports,gutsy-security,gutsy-updates,gutsy-proposed
    Sections: partner
    Passive mode on.
    Checking md5sums.
    Will clean up AFTER mirroring.
    Pdiff mode: use.
    Attempting to get lock, this might take 2 minutes before it fails.
    Get Release files.
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy/Release... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy/Release.gpg... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-backports/Release... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-backports/Release.gpg... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-security/Release... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-security/Release.gpg... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-updates/Release... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-updates/Release.gpg... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-proposed/Release... ok
    [0%] Getting: dists/gutsy-proposed/Release.gpg... ok
    Get Packages and Sources files and other miscellany.
    Parse Packages and Sources files and add to the file list everything therein.
    Download all files that we need to get (1 MiB).
    Downloaded 1 MiB in 21s at 1.67 kiB/s
    Everything OK. Moving meta files.
    Cleanup mirror.
    All done.
    michael@michael-laptop:~$
    I would be sure there is more than 1MiB of data on Canonical's server so I am thinking there is another problem somewhere.

Now I know how you worked out the code to do the download I will take a look at the website later when I have alot of time to spare and learn through hands on trial and error.

Thanks again Bob.
    Michael.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BobSongs View Post
    OK. I just looked at the latest file structure of the archives.canonical.com site. Here's my initial correction. Kindly notify me if successful:

Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=/ --method=http --progress --dist=gutsy,gutsy-backports,gutsy-security,gutsy-updates,gutsy-proposed --section=partner --arch=binary-i386 CanonicalRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg

Here it is out of the code box for your examination:

debmirror
    --nosource
    -m
    --passive
    --host=archive.canonical.com
    --root=/
    --method=ftp
    --progress
    --dist=gutsy,gutsy-backports,gutsy-security,gutsy-updates,gutsy-proposed
    --section=partner
    --arch=binary-i386
    CanonicalRepos/
    --ignore-release-gpg
    You caught me out here actually. In the "out of the box" code you have --method=ftp while "in the box" you have --method=http.

I have been playing with the code a little bit and still get no more than the above post. It is interesting trying to work through this.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Well, k3lt01, I'm pleased to report that the tutorial has been repaired. You can now highlight the Canonical Repositories, make modifications to the command-line (like replacing dapper for gutsy) and away you go.

Sorry it took so long.

I've been looking at ways to create a bootable USB pen drive. However, I do not believe, after much testing, that this motherboard CAN boot to a pen drive.

*sigh*

And some of the instructions at this site required the use of Windows to accomplish the tasks. So I was unable to test any findings.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Bob. Your efforts are much appreciated. It is working a dream now.

Beans
    Distro

I have found a problem with the code you adjusted, I thought I had better post it here so you can fix it.

Your code had:

Code:
     debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=/ --method=http --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-backports,dapper-proposed,dapper-security,dapper-updates --section=partner --arch=i386 UbuntuRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg
    After I downloaded this I started downloading the Ubuntu repos and found the canonical ones went missing, So I changed the code to this:

Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=/ --method=http --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-backports,dapper-proposed,dapper-security,dapper-updates --section=partner --arch=i386 CanonicalRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Of course adjusting from Dapper to Gutsy as required.

Hope this helps a bit.

Beans

I have found a problem with the code you adjusted, I thought I had better post it here so you can fix it.

Your code had:

Code:
     debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=/ --method=http --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-backports,dapper-proposed,dapper-security,dapper-updates --section=partner --arch=i386 UbuntuRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg
    After I downloaded this I started downloading the Ubuntu repos and found the canonical ones went missing, So I changed the code to this:

Code:
    debmirror --nosource -m --passive --host=archive.canonical.com --root=/ --method=http --progress --dist=dapper,dapper-backports,dapper-proposed,dapper-security,dapper-updates --section=partner --arch=i386 CanonicalRepos/ --ignore-release-gpg
    Of course adjusting from Dapper to Gutsy as required.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Yikes! I hope you didn't execute that code! Duhh. I was so interested in ensuring the code worked properly that I evidently forgot to make all the proper changes to it.

I thank you for correction. I may never have noticed it.

To create the original debmirror code for the Canonical Commercial repos, I took the original command and modified it based on what was available at the archives.canonical.com website. I did the same again but I was focused on making it simply work. And that it did. But I didn't have anything in those folders.

I hope the "repaired" code didn't cause you to lose your files. :'( Forgive my error if it did.

Modifications completed. Tutorial now properly formed. Thanks.
    Last edited by BobSongs; January 9th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by cezar View Post
    can i put repositories on cd-s ? more friends of mine have a cd-rw, not dvd-rw...how can i do this ?
    I've since tweaked the tutorial. But quickly: replace DVD with CD80 or CD74 and you've got CDs for repositories instead of DVDs. Check out the main tutorial.

Beans

This is probably a really dumb question but can I add other repositories to the download. Things like Medibuntu and UbuntuStudio or the Google Repositories. If I can what do I do? Do I just add the repo name in the list or Is there more to it? There seem to be heaps of Repos available on the net so I am interested in the possibility of adding them to the download (either entirely or partially)

For what its worth I am currently downloading Feisty, I will download Gutsy when Feisty has finished.
    Tell you what: give me the UbuntuStudio and Google repository links and I'll add them to the FAQ with Canonical Commercial and MediBuntu.

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast