Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is this an insult?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How is this an insult?

I don't feel like typing it again so I will just link to my original post.

How is my suggesting a vacation to another member an insult? Could someone explain what is insulting about suggesting someone take a vacation?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=747215

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How is this an insult?

I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was hoping for a response from someone other than p_quarles.

And please don't send me any more PM's p_quarles. You have made your point now let's see if the other admins agree with you. If they do then I will drop my case and refrain from suggesting vacations to other users in the future.

This isn't about the 'infraction point' I was given. It is about whether or not I did something that justifies being given one. I just don't see how what I said could be misconstrued as an insult by someone. And just now p_quarles sent me a PM asking what is wrong with me. Now that I find personally insulting…

Just for the record p_quarles there is nothing wrong with me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You seem like a troubled man. Have you considered taking a vacation?
    Your exact quote is given above. I agree with p_quarles that the first part of that statement can be construed as a direct insult to another forum member, and therefore the infraction is valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Your exact quote is given above. I agree with p_quarles that the first part of that statement can be construed as a direct insult to another forum member, and therefore the infraction is valid.
    Anything can be construed as an insult and ultimately it comes down to how the person on the receiving end perceives it. But what if I had no intention whatsoever of it being used as an insult? What if I was in fact just stating an observation based on the crazy erratic behavior of someone? Does it even matter if I meant it as an insult? How exactly are we determining it was said with the intention of being an insult? Does the context under which it was said have any impact on the meaning of the statement?

The person that was directed at accused me of being some guy named Bill Snead and then went on to rant about how I broke into his house and took pictures of him and his wife while they were naked. Doesn't that sound like a troubled man to you?

Beans

I concur with jdong with this . I also believe that you were aware of its meaning and intended it to be so.

Maybe one should resist the urge to reply in the heat of the moment .
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I concur with jdong with this . I also believe that you were aware of its meaning and intended it to be so.

Maybe one should resist the urge to reply in the heat of the moment .
    Huh? There was no 'heat of the moment'. It wasn't intended to be an insult. Just an observation.

The guy it was directed at seemed troubled. He had mistaken my identity for some guy named Bill Snead and accused me of taking inappropriate pictures. I have never met this man so he is clearly either disturbed or troubled.

Beans

Please cease further insults to the member concerned . This is not a vehicle to continue the insults . If they continue I will take further action
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What insults?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is not any of your business to label another member of this forums as troubled or disturbed -- this is clear-cut against the forum policies. Please cease this line of discussion immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast