Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSD Prices

Beans

Re: SSD Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    I was thinking of using an SSD for booting Ubuntu, or what about using it for a PS3?
    I usually walk away and make some tea when I boot up my computer, so boot up time isn't an issue for me.

As for gaming, it might make the game load up faster, but I doubt it would run faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Besides the obvious speed difference with an SSD, what are the other benefits of using an SSD rather than an HDD?
    Question Everything

Beans

I have an SSD in my desktop just for booting ArchLinux. The speed difference (mostly boot time) really is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius
    Besides the obvious speed difference with an SSD, what are the other benefits of using an SSD rather than an HDD?
    You can drop your laptop with its SSD on the floor and not be too worried about the SSD itself.
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 - 12GB RAM - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB w/21.5" Monitor - Assorted HDDs - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120Gb SSD - [ArchLinux - Windows 7 - Mac OS X 10.6.8]
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
    . You can drop your laptop with its SSD on the floor and not be too worried about the SSD itself.
    The rest of your PC is toast
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
    I have an SSD in my desktop just for booting ArchLinux. The speed difference (mostly boot time) really is amazing. You can drop your laptop with its SSD on the floor and not be too worried about the SSD itself.
    I would have a heart attack if I dropped my laptop though.
    Question Everything

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The new "ultrabook" from zareason offers an SSD drive, to which one can add an additional and traditional spinner. I think using an SSD as the boot "partition" is actually a nifty idea. This may be the direction of all new laptops -- SSD for the OS and hard drive for the rest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Someone told me yesterday that some new motherboards have a feature that allows you to use a small partition of an SSD to speed up a traditional HDD, as long as both units are SATA 3 connected to the same controller. The traditional HDD would then behave as a hybrid (like Seagate Momentus, for example). I don't know the name of the feature and which motherboard brand has it. If anyone is already using it, I'd like to hear some opinions.

To my usage, I have verified that buying more than one SSD was a waste. 120GB in each was also not necessary. The best setup for me was to install Ubuntu to the SSD (takes very little space, far from 120GB) and have $HOME and content in conventional Sata 3 HDD (WD Black mdadm RAID in my case).

The only thing I added to the SSD, despite the OS itself, was my main W7-Pro VM. Running the Windows VM in the SSD makes a huge difference. Still, I only use the W7 VM for MS-Office, so it takes very little space. I should have bought only one 60GB SSD...

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    That would be approx $160 in New Zealand, I can get a 2TB drive for that.
    Which would be a huge downgrade. It would be slower, more liable to break if dropped, and use more power. Extra storage isn't a useful feature if you've got an SD card slot and a permanent connection to the net (where my terabyte-sized storage is).

Not every drive needs to be huge. Speed is a feature that will trump it in many use cases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Which would be a huge downgrade. It would be slower, more liable to break if dropped, and use more power. Extra storage isn't a useful feature if you've got an SD card slot and a permanent connection to the net (where my terabyte-sized storage is).

Not every drive needs to be huge. Speed is a feature that will trump it in many use cases.
    I agree with some points, but the cost v benefit analysis does not add up,they are still too expensive.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; August 23rd, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

I still need SSDs to go way down in 512 GB size, I won't go any lower in HDD Space. Lowest priced ones are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211598

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227809

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Speed is a feature that will trump it in many use cases.
    half of a 500 GB drive for me is basically dedicated to fraps codec videos I record. Sometimes I can record 100+ GB at one session. I currently use 64 GB of space as it is... and that's mainly Windows and a few games. (Skyrim, Dead Space 2)
    Last edited by Lucradia; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast