Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We've got ourselves kernel 3.7 final...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: We've got ourselves 3.7 final...

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    @zika,
    They meant the link in my sig .. the Sudo Code Quick Grabber
    I'm obviously old and thick (not just due to the age)...

Update₁: After quite some time I've got kernel panic (with 996(drm-next yesterday's edition), while 999(daily, yesterday's edition) works very good...)...
    Last edited by zika; December 12th, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: We've got ourselves kernel 3.7 final...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Does the RR version of 3.7.0 work for you?
    Here:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/raring/...nux/3.7.0-6.14

Yes.. it does. After using synaptic it installed the new kernel .. but I thought I could do that from the link Zika provided. Somehow, installing from the *.deb files just did not work.. but it is working just fine now.

Linux dale-desktop 3.7.0-6-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 11 13:15:27 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Yes.. it does. After using synaptic it installed the new kernel .. but I thought I could do that from the link Zika provided. Somehow, installing from the *.deb files just did not work.. but it is working just fine now.

Linux dale-desktop 3.7.0-6-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 11 13:15:27 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    Well, „method“ I've gave above should work... Are You sure You do not have some broken files or another trouble with dpkg...?
    As far as I can see You've installed new generic, not a mainline kernel... Not wanting to be picky but if I were in Your shoes I'd investigate a bit further why „method“ failed...
    Were You among those having trouble with 3.7 kernel?... Old and becoming (more and more) senile... 3.7.0-6 is still in proposed...?
    Last edited by zika; December 12th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

I'm still stuck on the 3.5 kernel , I've tried all of the repo 3.7's up to and including the current one , several of the mainline RC's and anca-emanuel's suggestion of compiling and bisecting all no help , all ( including the daily lives ) stop at the same place during boot ( attaching drives ) all leave no log files , the only thing logged is sucessful boots to the 3.5 kernel . several other problems but they may have to do with the kernel being so far behind everything else .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

I use the following, for less bloat!

This updates the configuration to only compile modules that are actually used in your system:

make localmodconfig

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

Walt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Well, „method“ I've gave above should work... Are You sure You do not have some broken files or another trouble with dpkg...?
    As far as I can see You've installed new generic, not a mainline kernel... Not wanting to be picky but if I were in Your shoes I'd investigate a bit further why „method“ failed...
    Were You among those having trouble with 3.7 kernel?... Old and becoming (more and more) senile... 3.7.0-6 is still in proposed...?

I had no problems with the mainline kernels .. all the way up to rc8 .. both 64bit and 32 bit.. I even installed 3.7.rc8 on Lucid install and that worked (but had nVidia error).

It was just a 'blip' when I manually installed the 'final' 3.7.0-6.14. That swhen everything went south .. but all was recovered .. broken xorg and abi13 fixed with synaptic..etc..

no .. you are not senile at all zika. .. sometimes I get some-timers (sometimers means one forgets things sometimes) but at least I am not having sometimers all-the-timers so .. I think we all get sometimers sometimes. ?

Beans
    Distro

Finally got around to upgrading. Very nice, really!

5+ hours, in this session, and everything is noticeably snappier than rc-8.

Anxiously awaiting v3.8 testing...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have been running the Linux Kernel 3.7 since it was released and it has been rock solid for me.

For the upgrade I used the method from this site...
    http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/12/inst...-37-under.html

I have also successfully upgraded to various 3.6.x versions over the past couple of months when this site has posted the Kernel Update.

For the people that are have problems booting after the Kernel Update, I experienced a similar issue during one of the 3.6.x updates and for me it turned out to be the AMD/ATI Proprietary driver that was the problem.
    I uninstalled the AMD/ATI Proprietary driver and then Updated the Kernel and the computer Booted up without any issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just to see if this will get into this or I will have to compile it for myself...
    It is nice to see that Con is back...
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

3.7.0-6-generic #14-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 11 13:13:42 UTC 2012 x86_64

stable and solid.

When will k3.8 be implemented into 13.04??

only thing I can complain about is the slow dash perfomance under intel gfx, but it improved when I use those mesa codes...

now I'm hoping for significant improvements in 3.8 since intel claims to have been working on their drivers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast