Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

I tried:

Code:
    sudo ./MultiBootUSB.sh
    And it seemed to work.
    But when I tried booting it could not find file, (I had been using this flash drive as a grub2 multibooter already).

I deleted the FAT32 and casper-rw partitions and reformatted to FAT32 and tried again.

Now I am getting grub error 15???

MultibootUSB looks promising so I will keep trying.

Edit:
    I think the reason I am getting boot error 15 is because nothing is being written to the flash drive.
    I've tried four times and after fifteen minutes of writing each time, nothing is there.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; June 28th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I tried:

Code:
    sudo ./MultiBootUSB.sh
    And it seemed to work.
    But when I tried booting it could not find file, (I had been using this flash drive as a grub2 multibooter already).

I deleted the FAT32 and casper-rw partitions and reformatted to FAT32 and tried again.

Now I am getting grub error 15???

MultibootUSB looks promising so I will keep trying.

Edit:
    I think the reason I am getting boot error 15 is because nothing is being written to the flash drive.
    I've tried four times and after fifteen minutes of writing each time, nothing is there.
    Thank you for pointing out the mistake. I will edit my first post accordingly. Which distro are you trying to install?

Beans
    Distro

Part of my problem is that I am using my laptop with 10.04 but it is still using grub legacy as I have been upgrading since 8.04.
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.04, Puppy 5, NimbleX-2008 and Tinycore.

At first it seemed to write to the disk ok but grub 2 was not installed.
    Now nothing is installed.
    I will try again today booting from a Live USB or CD.

Edit:
    I'm impressed, really, really impressed. This seems to be working as stated. Great job! Wow!

Edit:
    No luck with NimbleX so far.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; June 28th, 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good news: it works well.
    Bad news: I need more flash drives

/me wonders if OP works for SanDisk LOL
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    Part of my problem is that I am using my laptop with 10.04 but it is still using grub legacy as I have been upgrading since 8.04.
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.04, Puppy 5, NimbleX-2008 and Tinycore.

At first it seemed to write to the disk ok but grub 2 was not installed.
    Now nothing is installed.
    I will try again today booting from a Live USB or CD.

Edit:
    I'm impressed, really, really impressed. This seems to be working as stated. Great job! Wow!

Edit:
    No luck with NimbleX so far.
    Good to know that it works well. Could you post the error message with the (NimbleX) version .

Beans
    Distro

NimbleX - 2008

error: file not found.
    error: unknown command 'kdm'.
    error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...
    I've had lots of problems manually installing NimbleX on flash drive.

Beans
    Distro

If I run sudo ./MultiBootUSB.sh in terminal, the terminal gets filled with a few blue and white stripes.
    If I stretch the terminal a little bigger before running it, it works ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This will be really interesting when the computers and memory sticks support USB3.0.

It "should" be fast enough to run like a normal HDD from a few years ago. About 80mbps.

No need to install the O/S.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Distro

If I run sudo ./MultiBootUSB.sh in terminal, the terminal gets filled with a few blue and white stripes.
    If I stretch the terminal a little bigger before running it, it works ok.
    I too have noticed this problem. so if any one trying this script please keep your terminal in maximize mode and try.
    Last edited by sundar_ima; July 3rd, 2010 at 09:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought I'd attempt the MultiBootUSB script, which seemed to work quite well. I downloaded iso's of:
    Clonezilla, BackTrack, Parted Magic, Knoppix Live, Lucid-Puppy, System Rescue, Slitaz, Tiny-Core, Ubuntu Rescue, Wolvix, Zenwalk Live, PC Linux OS, Peppermint Linux, and Lubuntu.

Then I ran the script(with terminal maximized), which automatically formatted the USB drive, installed grub2, and it successfully added boot entries for all of the above iso's, except Peppermint & Lubuntu. I manually added Peppermint to the iso folder and added an entry to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    Peppermint booted fine, however the default language was Spanish(I think).

I'm in the process of attempting to boot each of the iso's and so far Wolvix and Backtrack have booted OK. Knoppix will only boot into Failsafe to a root prompt, I may make a bootable cd to determine if the failure is due to my system.

Thank you for the script, makes it much easier to set up a multi-boot USB, as well as demonstrating how iso's are booted from grub2. I noticed that for several of the live cd iso's, the contents were extracted, and others were added to the iso folder and booted directly from boot.cfg.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast