Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Please let me add my congratulations to the previous one. This How To thread is very helpful. I have solved some issues just by reading it.
    Last edited by Joentokyo; November 3rd, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

Beans

Deleted. The Quantal PPA for Zukitwo themes is not yet updated.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; December 16th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Beans

I’ve decided not to write an entire “tweaks and tricks” guide for Quantal Classic (No effects) because; (a) very little has changed since Precise, and (b) many major changes are coming fairly soon. I’d hope that all but the most adventurous users would stick with Precise because it is supported until April 2017, whereas Quantal is only supported until April 2014. But let’s get down to it.

First let’s look at Quantal Classic (No effects). As mentioned above very little has changed, but Step #3 is no longer needed and when you get to Step #6 in my Precise quide you’ll find that you additionally need to run the following command to move the window management buttons to the right:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout :minimize,maximize,close
    To move them back to the left:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout close,minimize,maximize:
    Note: For some odd reason it may be necessary to change that twice to obtain the desired outcome, that is you may have to move the buttons back and forth twice to get the desired effect.

A similar change effects Step #7. In order to apply the “shiki-colors-metacity-theme” you’ll now need to run the additional command:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity
    Or to restore the Ambiance theme:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme Ambiance
    The only other change of concern is that the Zukitwo themes I prefer are not yet ported to Quantal so it’s necessary to use the Precise version of the themes provided by WebUpd8.

Second I need to explain the future of the “fallback-session” upon which this is based. Please understand that my time machine is broken so I can only base things on the stated plans of others. The session upon which this is based using the Metacity window manager is going to be replaced by an actual Classic session using the Mutter window manager when gnome version 3.8 is released:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/gnome...ssic-mode.html

But I don’t expect to see that fully implemented until Ubuntu 13.10 so it’s impossible to know how well it will work ....... I truly need to invest in a new time machine. Just remember that Precise is a 5 year LTS - supported until April 2017. That allows a great deal of time to figure things out before the next two LTS versions are released in April 2014 and April 2016.

NOTE: I've added some important info about Raring and beyond here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12665934
    Last edited by kansasnoob; May 27th, 2013 at 06:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I understand that you have spent quite a lot of effort and that you are also helping a group of friends to run this flavour of Ubuntu.

At this mature state of your project, what would you say are the main benefits of your 'Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks' compared to Xubuntu (or any of the other official flavours)?

- A smooth upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?
    - Better tools?
    - Better stability?
    - Better on aging hardware?

Edit: So, please tell us what you think are the advantages, and who should try it and why (in what situation)!
    Last edited by sudodus; December 22nd, 2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: asking for clarification and advice (not a debate)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I understand that you have spent quite a lot of effort and that you are also helping a group of friends to run this flavour of Ubuntu.

At this mature state of your project, what would you say are the main benefits of your 'Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks' compared to Xubuntu (or any of the other official flavours)?

- A smooth upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?
    - Better tools?
    - Better stability?
    - Better on aging hardware?

Edit: So, please tell us what you think are the advantages, and who should try it and why (in what situation)!
    I think I addressed most of that here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090021

I posted that mostly as a "thinking out-loud" session to get a general idea of how I wanted to edit my OP here so I don't have to pester the mods repeatedly

I really didn't spend a lot of time on this, the project began early in Precise development ..... so early that I first did the Oneiric guide since it was "stable" at the time.

I'm almost reluctant to even call it a "guide", but I found it so easy to convert to a "classic (no effects)" session that I felt it would be selfish to not share what little I'd learned.

But the single biggest reason is that Ubuntu 12.04 is a 5 year LTS, whereas Xubuntu 12.04 is a 3 year LTS, and Lubuntu is only supported for 18 months.

I was also quite mindful about what was going to be added or removed and what the ability would be for those households with multiple users to boot into different sessions because I found that user-#1 might want a classic session but user-#2 might prefer Unity on the same puter

In it's current iteration NO packages are removed and very little is installed from the repos:

Code:
    alacarte
    cups-pk-helper
    gir1.2-gconf-2.0
    gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0
    gnome-applets
    gnome-applets-data
    gnome-panel
    gnome-panel-data
    gnome-session-fallback
    indicator-applet-complete
    libpanel-applet-4-0 python-gmenu
    indicator-applet 
    indicator-applet-session
    shiki-colors-metacity-theme
    Although I do commonly use packages from WebUpd8's theming PPA and of course the Caffeine app, but a bit of trust is always required when running FOSS

Does that answer your question?

BTW I think it's always OK to ask a respectful question, and you've always proven yourself to be a respectful member of the forum community.

PS: I personally never do a distro upgrade through the update mangler! I prefer the upgrade path offered by the live installer if it's offered, or a fresh install if it's not. And always remember that the data you don't backup is the data that you'll lose.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Correction

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Does that answer your question?
    Yes, thanks a lot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guimaster View Post
    Greetings,

I have decided to upload a picture to prove that I was able to get the "Search for Files" option back into my "Places" menu.

Please see the attached photo.

Is anyone else bothering to follow my instructions on this?
    I think the trick with your suggestion was the installation of Gnome-Desktop-Utilities. I had added the search button to my top panel but it didn't work -- I received an error that no such file existed. Upon downloading the Gnome-Desktop-Utilities, the button started working.

Thanks.

Beans

I'm working on an update to this since we now know that Edubuntu dev is going to continue to support the classic/fallback session going forward

I just tried a fresh install of Ubuntu Raring suspecting that my Quantal tweaks would still work and I noticed one possible change regarding step #3 - basically it's just not needed at all.

Please be patient. I now more than ever recommend that users stick with LTS since the interim release cycle was reduced to 9 months.

Beans
    Hidden!

Aye, aye, captain,

We'll stay in the LTS ship as long as possible

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Aye, aye, captain,

We'll stay in the LTS ship as long as possible
    It's also worth mentioning that Lubuntu may produce an LTS version for 14.04

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast