Thread: Disk has many bad sectors!

Beans

Exclamation Disk has many bad sectors!

im pretty new to ubuntu.i installed ubuntu 10.04 but was having many problems,
    so i tried installing ubuntu 9.10 and upgrading but while partitioning i got an error.
    finally i managed to install it but im getting a warning about my disk having 178 bad sectors.
    i tried googling how to fix it but did not get any precise solution
    the number of bad sectors are not increasing.
    i have backed up my data and would like to know if there is any way i could fix it
    i.e. without buying a new hard drive??
    also will it create any problems?
    thanks a lot in advance

Beans

Re: Disk has many bad sectors!

download hiren's boot cd, burn to cd, boot from cd, select hddregenerator, run scan and repair, and there you go... if this doesn't help, you should buy a new hdd!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alien92 View Post
    warning about my disk having 178 bad sectors.
    the number of bad sectors are not increasing
    Usually, a disk having bad sectors mean that it has undergone physical damage to the internal structure.

It cannot be corrected; the bad sectors are marked thus and not accessed during future read/write operations.

As long as it is not increasing, it may be only a onetime issue, and you could probably continue using your HDD.

If it starts increasing, your only option is to replace the disk. Unfortunately, the "increase" can only be detected with a thorough disk check, so it may be too late by the time you find out.

Here's some common symptoms that indicate bad sectors are interfering with your work; Files get mysteriously corrupted; System get very slow when accessing disk ; HDD activity LED stays solidly lit from time to time, even though only light HDD activity is supposed to take place; errors about "Emask exception" occur with high frequency, even after a standard disk check.

If you find any or most of these symptoms, you most likely have a disk going bad. The only option is to replace it, sorry.

If you still plan to use the HDD, please maintain regular backups of your work in other media.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

moved to ABT

Beans

Thanks a lot,but it turned out it was the Palimpsest bug.The message is not comming in 10.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Closed, necromancy.