Page 11 of 145 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia latest Drivers - How to install

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: nVidia 180.06 Rocks!

Don't know what you guys are looking at, but when I go to the nVidia search page (as per the link above) and I tell it I've got an nForce 405 / 6100, it tells me there were no search results for the driver.

I'm not panicking over this, of course, because I've had (knock on wood) absolutely no problems with any of the various nVidia drivers I've used so far. Perhaps my graphics card doesn't fall into a gray area for performance or stability?
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    Don't know what you guys are looking at, but when I go to the nVidia search page (as per the link above) and I tell it I've got an nForce 405 / 6100, it tells me there were no search results for the driver.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us Pick your card and select Beta under "Recommended/Beta:"

32bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_180.06.html
    64bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_180.06.html

Beans

Just to remind people that 180.08 is way more stable than the 180.06 BETA.
    I speak for myself, of course, but i imagine it's rather universal.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On a certain webpage, I had my screen completely freeze and start flickering. No smashing on the keyboard helped.

Today when opening a flash chart, my screen went black for a second but thankfully came back.

So, just know what you're getting into... this is a real beta, not a google beta.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    On a certain webpage, I had my screen completely freeze and start flickering. No smashing on the keyboard helped.

Today when opening a flash chart, my screen went black for a second but thankfully came back.

So, just know what you're getting into... this is a real beta, not a google beta.
    I'm not having any of this problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Woohoo! Thanks to all for the insights. I was having some real issues with the 177 driver and KDE. Same story as many here. Worked in 8.04, busted in 8.10.
    I fiddled with the settings to get 8.10 working but it never worked with OpenOffice always had flickering and black screens, etc.
    Now KDE seems rock solid - after install reboot and test of open office no more flickering! Thanks to aktiwers for the code. Only had to change to:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    to
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

since it's KDE) out of his HOWTO. The drivers did have to rebuild parts of the kernal, but all went without a hitch.

Beans
    Hidden!

I chose the provided link for x86 32 bit. I still cannot find anything using their search system, no matter what I try.

EDIT: Ok, so now I have the file via the link (as mentioned above), but it keeps telling me I have to quit X first. Um... not sure why I should have to do this (let alone how), so I'm thinking maybe it's wiser to wait for Ubuntu to officially put this out.
    Last edited by MikeTheC; December 4th, 2008 at 02:57 AM.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans

- "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    I chose the provided link for x86 32 bit. I still cannot find anything using their search system, no matter what I try.

EDIT: Ok, so now I have the file via the link (as mentioned above), but it keeps telling me I have to quit X first. Um... not sure why I should have to do this (let alone how), so I'm thinking maybe it's wiser to wait for Ubuntu to officially put this out.
    MikeTheC, I followed post #31 found at the top of page 4 of this thread almost verbatim to get mine to work (I changed gdm to kdm due to Kubuntu). The reason for stopping X is because you are replacing the video drivers. The how is in aktiwers post as stated earlier.

I was apprehensive at first as well, I've only been using Linux for a short time. After many tests on my system I've found this new beta driver to fix all of the issues I was having with the latest release of 8.10. If you are not having any issues with your video card/screen then there is no reason to replace your current drivers. Hope this helps.

Beans

If you want to update nvidia driver and you don't know how you can see this tutorial.

Page 11 of 145 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast